1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH14: The Return of the King

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Oct 4, 2008.

1. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

That someone else would be moi. :D

I was a bit dismayed with our stack in the Chinese border. There is only one pike. All maces and sieges. Granted we can overwhelm the Chinese, CKNs or not, but we could have easily reduce the casualties by adding one pike, one cross, and one horse archer.

Anyway, I tried my best to jungle our troops from the entire empire. I delayed a few christian monasteries builds for some needed pikes, cross and mounted units. (BTW, :thumbsup: for all the christian buildings ... they add +2 :hammer: due to our take ove rof the Apo Palace).

Press enter and we got Liberalism.

We got Steel, and welcome to the Industrial Age. Time for some trading as well.

As it turns out, we only trade with Kublai Khan. Pericles is unwilling to trade reasonably, while Sally and Ragnar totally refuses to trade.

---- Joke Interlude ----

You must be kidding!? Didn't you realize a war is going on??? Anyway, "rightfully"??? Heliopolis doesn't sound Chinese to me.

---- Joke Interlude ----

Powered by newly upgraded knights, and we reached Xian:

Easily captured. And by the time we reached Shanghai, the Spy is ready.

Love the portrait (the female figure) :drool: ... wonder why the some icon looks like a moustached man :rolleyes: I remember in Warlords/Vanilla, the unit on the screen also looked like a female, and would do sommersault when performing sabotage. Missed those.

Anyway, back to the attack, we captured Shanghai (losing a few siege in the process), and marched straight for Beijing.

As seen, the spy there is eligible for a 50% discount revolt as well. Since I forced march the troops, the first stack that reach there may be a little small. But I think it shouldn't have a problem taking the city. The units behind that stack can then immediately enter Beijing to loot/rape defend.

Annoyingly, QSH has an offshore city Chengdu. Hence I sent some ships over. They are currently bombarding the defense of Guangzhou.

There are a cannon and a cat on its way to Guangzhou, suggest taking the ride on the galleon, it will be faster than the land route. A very small stack is there waiting, but it should be more than enough since QSH just emptied the city (apparently to reinforce Beijing), plus the mini satck already features a cannon.

Other non-war matters is of-course the triggering of our Golden Age:

I revolted to vassalage, theocracy and Mercantilism. There is 6 turns of GA left, so if next player feel like it, you can still change the civics twice. So for example, you may want to switch to Free Speech for a temporary boost in commerce before pressing enter, and then switch back to Vassalage on the last turn of GAge.

We also got a quest:

I have ignored it thus far :D

QSH should be dead in the next turnset, so we have to prepare for our next war. I suggest Pericles. This is because he has no friends.

If this is agreeable, then we can prepare for a two pronged attack:

First, we amass troops in New York, filling ~5 galleons full of cannons/maces/knights/muskets for a westward attack. Second, once the troops in the east finishes China, they can be shipped to Mongolia for a rally, and then attack at the same time as the seabound troops reached the east shore of Greece.

By the way, the Shanghai Spy is on a caravel ... idea is to head to wards Greece first for some recce and posisbly revolt when war is declared.

The victory screen shows that we are slightly more than halfway in land domination.

We would probably reach close to 40% after completely assimilating China. We probably need to attack one more opponent after Pericles to hit domination.

Research wise, I got printing press. Suggest going for Replaceable Parts heading to Rifling. We could also go Military Science for Grenies. Both are fine, really.

Good luck.

Thy Spellcraft is UP

Attached Files:

2. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Code:
    Quest8:
    	Sports League
    	Prereq: CONSTRUCTION
    	Obsolete: RADIO or REFRIGERATION or PLASTICS or SATELLITES or ADVANCED_FLIGHT or ECOLOGY
    	Active/Weight: 25/500
    		Aim:
    		Build default number of players for this world size Colosseums (7 for standard)
    		Result:
    1.+1 happy face for every Colosseum
    2.+4 culture for every collosseum
    [COLOR="Navy"][B]3.IF you control the Statue of Zeus wonder trigger a golden age[/B][/COLOR]

IMHO it is definitely worth it, especially given that we didn't had the Taj GA

3. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

4. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, I played before GreyFox... if neither pigswill, diamondeye or ( even , god save us of that happening ) pholkhero pick it, I think it is your turn :p

5. pigswill

pigswill fly (one day)

Thy Spellcraft: It should in theory be diamondeye but he may be preoccupied by his emperor game. Maybe give diamondeye 24 hours from your post then post a got it if he hasn't shown up by then.

6. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

Won't be needed, I can kill any rumours of me "getting it" right now. Go ahead and play.

7. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

8. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Follow Greyfox advices and finish QSH :D

9. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

Finally I finished the turnset end here the report:

IT:
    Nothing to do so far. I increased science rate to 40% to speed up replaceable Parts, but that's it.

1560 AD:
    Started the revolt in Beijing and unleashed the attack. Without a single loss we took the city, and I moved a few more units to the front line.
    In the interturn Qin started a counterffensive and lost two cats and a pike to our small stack next to Guangzhou and a War elephant to our troops in Beijing. Both time he didn't manage to kill a single unit.

1565 AD:
    Quite a nice event occured to Washington:
    Spoiler :

1570 AD:
    In between turns we unfortunately lost a caravel and a loaded spy to one of Quin's caravels.. :mad: But as tradeoff we born a GE in NY.

1575 AD:
    I think the question, for whom our mighty stacks should head got a new answer:
    Spoiler :

But fortunately this is all he brought with him:
    Spoiler :

There are two more caravells but that's all..

1580 AD:
    Nonetheless our eastern troops stormed the city of Guangzhou and except a single cat we took this city lossless:
    Spoiler :

And after Saladin unloaded his troops next to NY we could start to pulverize it back to dust. And as a result we got another GG in Washington.

1585 AD:
    Replaceable Parts are in and we continued to Rifling, and as our golden age finished I had to decrease our research to 20%.
    And as promised Sadadins wannabestack got send back to hell. Thx for the XP Sala! :lol:

1590 AD:
    Inbetween turns Saladin sank two frigates through loosing 4 galleons and 2 caravells.
    And we became lucky once again:
    Spoiler :

1595 AD:
    Nothing more to do than land next to the outer chinese city and bomb the defence down to 0.

1600 AD:
    Kublai sends some "greetings":
    Spoiler :

And finally we finished the chinese:
    Spoiler :

No losses but 2 more upgrades. ;)

And here I finished so far.

Within the next turnset I think we'll finish boarding the invasion force in NY (maybe a few more frigates..) And after one or two turns of healing the stack in Changdu we can send this stack to the other continent as well..
    So we have to discuss, who'll be next target. BTW fox what makes you sure that Perikles doesn't have any friends?? In my view it looks like he's loved by each other opponent..
    Nonetheless there is a spy on his way to the eastern coast of perikles as well, so have an eye on him.

Rooster
    GreyFox
    Diamondeye
    Thy_Spellcraft <-- Just Played
    r_rolo1 <-- Up now

Attached Files:

10. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

It was expected that mr Religious would turn on us sooner or later... but I wasn't expecting it now. Well, we spare a DOW :D

11. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Good turns, and lucky dude :D :lol:

The reason why I say Pericles has no friend (literally) is evident from the screenie I posted after I said that:

Nobody is friendly with Pericles (friendly implies the face is yellow in color).

However, if Sally had chosen unwisely, let's teach him a lesson then. But careful abt KK, he considers Sally his best friend - so if we beat Sally too hard he may pull KK into the war.

12. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

13. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Sorry, I was with the idea that wasn't me.....

Will try to play this weekend.

14. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Well, my first reaction when seing the save was asking myself "How the hell do we have 4 :mad: from WW from the war with Sal?" .... until I noticed that the WW was from the war with QSH :hammer2:

Anyway, look at the diference:
    Spoiler :

A event elsewhere that can further complicate the diplo:
    Spoiler :

They paid for the + 3 option, being now friendly with eachother.

Speaking of the devil.....
    Spoiler :

With a continent wide empire , losing 1 turn in anarchy to a civic that increases maintenance is not exactly my idea of a good choice. So I sent him to pasture.... his horses :p

BTW Sal is not only getting good events.....
    Spoiler :

Our star tech:
    Spoiler :

And only then I noticed that we don't have natio :crazyeye:

Next turn ,probably impressed by our shiny new weapons, Sal was finally willing to talk. And with a proposition I wasn't expecting, given that the Ai is normally so stingy about peace deals:
    Spoiler :

Now, should we vassal him?

The crude fact is that we are a long way from subduing Sal empire to rubble ( we are still concentrating troops.... )... and having Sal as vassal would give us a open door to the other continent.

Having Sal as vassal would paradoxally help our diplo, especially with KK ( cautious + Friendly / 2 = Pleased ) and could allow us to cascade vassalizations to a conquest win ( or even a cheesy AP one ).

So, do we vassal him?

Attached Files:

15. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

I see no reason not to vassal ... after all, we are aiming for the fastest route to victory (at least I think we are ;)), and "Return of the King" implies we must be King of someone (other than "ourselves ;)). We do not have a lot of sally cities to make having him a vassal a hassle (look ma, it rhymes!), unlike QSH and Egypt. Sally is strong enough to be a good vassal actually (does not need our protection).

I think it best to accept the deal, start moving forces to Mongolia in preparation for a Greek campaign (which was our initial plan all along).

AP win? I doubt so, since we are the only Christian left. You need at least 2 more christian civs, IIRC. Of course we can spam our Christrian Missuses, but I rather spam rifles :evil:.

I see you have only played 7 turns. So, I presume this is a pause to ask for input and you are going to continue the remaining turns? If not, we have to figure out who's up.

16. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

Exactly, pause for input. It is not every day that a civ dows us, gets his SoD destroyed and offers to vassal without us moving a straw outside of our territory, you must reckon... :D

17. Diamondeye

Diamondeye So Happy I Could Die

What is Sal's status on any of the Victory Conditions? Is he close to Cultural? Do we think he can beat us to space?

18. r_rolo1

r_rolo1 King of myself

First thing to do: vassal coward.... check
    Spoiler :

Then get natio. No revolt, because we are betting in a quest enabled GA:
    Spoiler :

Some backfilling
    Spoiler :

Even the game recognizes our power
    Spoiler :

A certain jerk wants something....
    Spoiler :

When I finished Natio, I had noticed that the Economics GM was open. Why not try it?
    Spoiler :

And we got it, along with a GS from Washington
    Spoiler :

Some info on technology:
    Spoiler :

Democracy is there as a place holder.

Now on strategy:

We are pwning, period. In fact we are pwning so much that I decided to implement a far more rewarding gamble:

There are 3 shrines in the world that we do not control. One is in Mecca, hence we'll not capture it. The other 2:
    Spoiler :

One is in the hands of ragnar ( his cap.... as you can assume the caravel ran away ASAP ). My plan is simple: we load our ships, capture the shrines and vassal them both. That IMHO is feasible, given that we have a far larger army than any of them and in case of Ragnar, we're aiming right at his cap

So, plan:

Our chinese units embark in the galleons there and travel 3 turns to the tile 1 S of Nidaros. Next turn attack and capture as soon as possible

On the south, our troops from the core cities disembark 2W 1S of Mycenae ( I considered using our vassal lands as base , but we want speed in here ) ans move to 1 S of Sparta.

The vassal both as soon as we can talk with them

OFC that if we do this, we are gambling over the possibility that one of them vassals KK, that would complicate things. But if it works, there is only KK and Hammy in our way ( and hammy is almost as weak as ragnar , so we probably could bend it the same way ). if the team doesn't want it, we can resume Greyfox plan easily.

So, I assume that is Greyfox turn to gripe about my MM ( surely there is a lot of MM stupidities there )

P.S Diamond, Sal is pretty far away of winning by culture. In fact , acording with F8, ragnar is the closest AI of winning by culture

Attached Files:

19. GreyFox

GreyFox Make it so ...

Good turns. I am fine with any plan.

Nah, there comes a stage where one should overlook MM .... one is when we own 12+ cities, the other is wen we are clearing winning (or pwning, if you prefer) the game no matter how we play. Both applies here.

Who's up? According to roster, it should be either Diamondeye or Pigswill, If neither can, I will play this weekend.

--

20. Thy_Spellcraft

Thy_Spellcraft King

The plan sounds good to me, but I'm not sure why to go to war with perikles instead of killing Sala..

Because Ragnar might vassal to KK it might be a good idear to split our chinese forces and attack nirados and haitabu at the same time.. So we'll grap at least the island before Raknar vassals..