PH18: We Hates You'se

quarrelplegic midgicants ~ now THAT was an SG idea :lol:

"You'se" is a very philly expression (also somewhat new york). that "we all" and "ya'll" kinda thing is very much from the south. to my ear, "we hates you'se" is much nicer. it was first called Royal Rumble, but i like this better :D

You'se over here is expressed by shall we say the less educated members of society. "I love you'se all" is a well versed call amongst the males of the species.

Isn't this a bit like me telling you how to write colloquially Australian because I watched Steve Irwin a few times?

As if you'd ever be shy about telling anyone how to do anything :p

so many of those refer to me ~ i think i'll refer to myself as bogan

@ WDragon ~ now i think you can see why i would ever want to be a "terpiss" :p sometimes, with this crowd, anonymity is a blessing :lol:

was waiting for some more input from you'se ~ but forget it. here's the set-up:

notice we're Liz ~ i figured why not? I nerfed our 3rd team member, though, as a result ~ now we're Biz and Brennus. and here's our start:

i think worker first ( ;) ) and maybe poly for a religion??

also, i'm stickign myself at the end of the roster as i saw the map a bit wehn i was WBing the relationship

Roster
dragon >> UP NOW
turdferguson >> on deck
v-8 mark
Rex (on again, and off again)
fox
pholkhero

Attachments

• PH18 BC-4000.CivBeyondSwordSave
    26.3 KB · Views: 104
1S for plains hill bureaucracy cottage capital?
1E looks good, but would be 1 tile off the coast, I'm pretty sure.
1N is also a possibility if we want to get both food resources in the BFC.

Religion sounds good, but probably not if we go 1S. Looks a good start anyway.

Wait, we're British? I thought you said everyone wants to be American? I'm certain Fox does. Who the hell wants to be British?

Oh, and I like V-8's cottage capital idea, but I've never played Emperor. Will we live long enough to see cottages mature? Either way, it looks like we'll be cramped in. I'm assuming we can't rampage our own teammates for their land?

Got it. Here are my thoughts

Since we are playing as teams, below is our starting techs.

It also looks like there is no world wrap so we are at the easternmost edge of the map with no where to go.

Here is the "in-place" BFC.

Here is the 1S BFC. Is it that much better to lose a turn over?

One thing I have run into in the past playing on teams is that all 3 of you have to research the same thing since techs cost substantially more. It is going to be hard to control what the AI researches. And for that matter, who they trade it to and for what.

I don't have any preferences so if someone comes up with a good argument I will go with it.

With our teammates each starting with 2 scouts, I plan on going in the opposite direction they do.
Also, with raging barbarians, is worker first still the best?

Edit: If we go Poly and worker first, the only thing the worker could do would be to mine the hills.

Edit2: I also got to looking and based on how close our teammates BFC's are, I think we should expand rather quickly, i.e. chop first settler at 4 then whip another settler. Any thoughts?

It is going to be hard to control what the AI researches.

On the contrary, I think you can tell the AI what to tech. That's abt the only thing we can control on how the AI play.

Abt where to settle, moving 1S is the last thing I would do. The two options I would consider is settle in place, or settle 1N (grab the sheep but losing one hill in the south, and instead of settling on plains, settled on a river grassland). I am currently inclined to settle in place.

I don't think we need to research the same thing. If we want to go for religion and worker first and at the same time have the worker do something useful, we can research agriculture on our own and instruct the AI to grab the religion (or if we want the religion, get one AI to research poly with us, another to research agriculture). Considering the emperor AI does not start with worker, and if we really want to get religion, we can all go poly first. In such case we should not go worker first. No point. Instead I would build something else, and go worker only when we start a worker tech.

My preference would be to go worker first, we research agriculture, and let our teammates go religion.

-

On a related but totally unrelated questions just to quell my curiosity, how many of y'all have played team games before similar to this format?

As an FYI, it will take about 26 turns for us to research Ag by ourselves.

On a related but totally unrelated questions just to quell my curiosity, how many of y'all have played team games before similar to this format?

Nope, never played anything like this.

26 turns on our own means 9 turns for the three of us.

We only lose a turn of research by settling on the plains hill; we actually gain four turns of production, as the worker will be out on turn 19 rather than turn 23. Assuming we have Ag by then, that's a very good move - if we go religion, there's the distinct possibility that our worker will have nothing to do.

I say Agriculture is the way to go initially - we also need AH soon because our teamies both have pigs. Not sure whether we should make a separate grab at a religion or wait until we can go for CoL though.

As an FYI, it will take about 26 turns for us to research Ag by ourselves.

I just played a hotseat team game with my wife, but otherwise never.

I'm for settling in place, but would agree to 1N. There might be forested tundra under that fog if we do move 1N, which would be less than ideal.

i lilike in place as well.

research and city attacks are the only thing you can tell them to do.

I like the all go religion way first, personally. I just feel like we "need" one, ya know?

some of us played the Monty Python-themed game where we were teamed with the AIs. That was interesting, no? for some reason, i seem to think there was at least another game where i played teamed up.

also, i wb'ed their attitudes so everyone hates everyone else on the other teams so i don't think they'll be much trading.

finally, remember this is a team battleground map, so each team has its own corner of the map.

Pholk, we played that team game where we built no military and used Tokugawa as our meat shield. We lost spectacularly on that one. Was the Life of Brian one a team game or was there another Python game we played? I know there've been others, but I'm not drunk enough to remember yet.

Finally get to play the first turns of a new SG. How exciting! But then again, when you play as crappy as me I am not looking forward to the comments. Got a little carried away and played 38 turns, but that is how long it took to discover BW.

Turn 0
Settled in place. Not a bad decision, but not the best either. Looks like there is room for another city directly to the north to get those sheep. Start a Worker after playing around and finding out that Poly will take 11 then AG will take 10 for a total of 21. Worker will take 23.
Spoiler :

Turn 1
Send our scout to the west to get only visible hut. With our "teammates" having 2 scouts a piece not much chance to get any more.

Turn 2
We get 76 gold from hut.

Turn 8
One of our teammates popped AH from a hut. Looks like they are good for something after all. And just our luck, :deadhorse: in our BFC.

Turn 9
Buddhism FIADL.

Turn 12
Poly researched. Just our luck, look who found Hinduism.
Spoiler :
:D

Turn 15
We meet this team of Rag-a-muffins.

Turn 20
We meet the other two teams of opponents.

Turn 21
AG researched. Made a command decision to go BW next, which will take 17 turns, and here is why. Worker will take 2 turns to finish, like 8 to farm corn, 2 to move to horsies, then 6 for a pasture equaling 18. If we have copper, we can start mine while we research the Wheel. If not, we can farm the FP while researching the Wheel to connect horsies.

Turn 23
Worker completed. Heads off to farm corn.

Turn 31
Corn has a farm. Off to horses since it is a 5 yield tile. Thought we might want to chop out first settler at pop=3 then whip another at pop=4.

Turn 34
Scout earns Woody I and is healing. I moved him back towards our territory to semi fogbust since our teams scouts are already in enemy territory.

Turn 38
Bronze Working has been completed. Tell everyone to research the Wheel. And will our luck hold out?
Spoiler :
:cry: What, can't I have any fun???

There are two in our whole area and they are not even close.

So here are my thoughts on city locations and an overall look of our area.

City Placement #1
Spoiler :

City Placement #2
Spoiler :

Overview
Spoiler :

Attachments

• PH18 BC-3050.CivBeyondSwordSave
    58.5 KB · Views: 98
Good turns WhiteDragon. That's religion out of the way at least :goodjob:

I think we should go for city site 3 ASAP - I'd rather we were in control of that large expanse of grassland than any of our allies. To begin with, we're financial; second, we're human and not AI.

We should also look at settling the middle sharpish. One +2:) resource with theatres, and a 1:) 1:health: resource.

v8 you are talking about the southern 3, right? How important do you figure it is to try secure that copper for ourselves? If Germany gets the second one, they should be able to trade it to us, right?

I've never played this type of map, is it desirable to try and settle the middle of the "x"? Any Pros v. Cons?

I don't think I've ever seen 3 whales in a possible BFC before :crazyeye:

Sorry, yeah, the southern 3.

The middle is nice, because I'm guessing we'll have a monopoly on dye, and they're two nice resources in their own right. It would also serve as a useful chokepoint...

Edit: Sorry, I just realized that if you haven't opened the save, you don't know what I'm talking about....there are 4 dye resources and a banana in the middle of the "x".

okay, nice turns WD ~ no time to open the save, but here are some quick thoughts...

being in the back of our team, we might want to consider playing a peaceful builder game and let the AI settle more cities than us. i like 3, 4 and 2 (in that order) as city sites and somewhat let the AI be our shields. on agg ai, they should build plenty of units for our protection

Sorry for the lack of screens, there wasn't too much going on that was noteworthy. I took 12 turns to round it off at 50. These are my first Civ IV SG turns so I didn't want to overdo it. :lol:

Turn 38/750 (3050 BC)
Inherited Turn: Things look good, hit enter

Turn 39/750 (3025 BC)
Move worker onto forest for Settler chop

After End Turn:
London finishes: Warrior

Turn 40/750 (3000 BC)
London begins: Settler (15 turns)

Turn 41/750 (2975 BC)
Start moving warrior towards Southern 3, where the scout has been fog busting

Turn 44/750 (2900 BC)
Chop comes in, Settler at 8
The Wheel in 2 turns

Turn 45/750 (2875 BC)
While attacking in the wild near Berlin, Warrior 1 (London) (1.74/2) defeats Barbarian Wolf (Prob Victory: 99.5%)
Move worker onto horses to start road but have to wait one turn for The Wheel :smoke:

Turn 46/750 (2850 BC)
Turd Ferguson Start road
Research begun: Pottery
The Wheel is in so I set us all Pottery

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
While defending in the wild, Scout (0.52/1) defeats Barbarian Panther (Prob Victory: 87.8%)

Turn 47/750 (2825 BC)
Looks like Biz had been working on Stonehenge as he just completed it.
Boudica is working on a settler

Turn 49/750 (2775 BC)
Move worker to start road on the hill

After End Turn:

Other Player Actions:
Attitude Change: Shaka (Zululand) towards PH18 (England), from 'Cautious' to 'Annoyed' :confused:

Our Settler is in 2 turns, and Boudica has one in 9 turns. Biz is working on an Axeman.

We'll need another warrior as our undefended capital is getting a :( due to no protection. There are quite a few wolves roaming around in the Northern tundra.

I guess I didn't give much thought to Pottery, but I do like to get Granaries in place rather quickly. It is 4 more turns to completion.

Would any of you tried to micro to get The Wheel in a turn sooner to save that worker turn? It would've delayed the settler because we would've had to stop working the Corn. I didn't think it was worth it. A earlier settler outweighs a worker turn.

F4 Glance screen :lol:
Spoiler :

What's up with Shaka?

Here is the center 'X' that was referred to earlier.

Spoiler :

I could've sworn I posted a got it with a question about going for the Southern 3 but I guess I didn't hit send. I didn't see any responses, so I ran with it. My apologies.

Top Bottom