1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

PH18: We Hates You'se

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Succession Games' started by pholkhero, Sep 18, 2009.

1. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

I love the fact that Bismarck's building so many axes. Also hope that Brennus doesn't whip that settler and steal our city spot...

2. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Chieftain

Roster
    dragon
    turdferguson >> awaiting critiques
    v8_mark >> UP NOW
    Rex (on again, and off again) >> on deck
    fox
    pholkhero

3. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

Ooh, already! Yay. Got it, will play some tonight.

OK, am I settling the southern city 3 next? The only problem with that is that it effectively limits Brennus to two cities. Do we want that in the long term? I'm not really sure what the alternative is though...I could go 2, but then we're limited after that. Both are nice cottage cities; one has gems.

Bizzy building the Henge is fabulous news, it means we get the benefits as well.

4. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

some people responded :mischief:

if we go just for 3 first, then 4, i think we could share 2 w/brennus if he wants. Also, i don't think he'll be shy about settling around us.

i'm not so sure about pottery ~ i might've gone with animal husbandry first to get horses hooked up. it IS raging barbs so we will need some protection soon. plus, we can only get a resource from a team-mate if they have extra, iirc.

5. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

OK, I played 15 turns - here they are:

We started out with a minor catastrophe:

Scout lost at 90+% odds to a lion. :mad:

So the settler came out, and immediately I revolted into slavery - I had some plans for the whip in this round. Pottery came in - I took Writing.

Bismarck was besieged by barbs by this point - seems very early, even for raging. I was hoping it would take a bit longer for us to be affected...

Anyway, to make myself feel better, I took revenge on the lion:

2600 and York is founded on spot 3:

As Pottery was in by this point, I conjured up some overflow nonsense:

Overflow went into a worker, which subsequently took 3 turns and is ready for use. Might be an idea to produce one more when London grows back to 4, in between chariot production.

Anyway, an overview:

Barbs are a problem. However, a chariot's coming in 3, and another can be whipped if need be. York is a little vulnerable; that's where the chariot will help, without a doubt.

Save is here:

Attached Files:

6. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

wow...didn't even have time to check the save. I think we're okay as far as protection goes at London, so maybe all units should head west. guess i missed when we got AH :crazyeye:

i think we need one more city, and should start cottaging ASAP. unfortunately for us all, Rex is up now so we'll see what happens.

Roster
    dragon
    turdferguson
    v8_mark >> ust played
    Rex >> on again? UP NOW
    fox >> on deck
    pholkhero

7. Rex Tyrannus

Rex Tyrannus 280lbs of gross stupidity

Very well. I see the save. Though, now comes the hard part: you fools trusting me with it. What's the tech direction we're heading? If I missed it, it's because I didn't read any of the above. Just kidding. Really, I'm too stupid to remember.

8. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

dunno that we decided on tech path yet, did we?? I kinda think warfare will be happening soon so maybe towards IW or HBR?

eh, now that i think on it, why not ABCs for now and on to the economic techs?

9. White Dragon

White Dragon Not exactly street legal.

What about going Aesthetics then trading that for Abc, IW, and whatever else we can? Also, since we went Poly it also opens Lit for GLib since we have Marble to the north?

Then again, Agressive AI and Raging Barbs sounds like it could be really bad.

10. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

Assuming we can trade with other teams, and that they don't hate us too much, either Aesthetics or Alphabet isn't a bad shout. By the time that's done, we should have decent commerce anyway, and can backfill whatever we like pretty quickly.

11. White Dragon

White Dragon Not exactly street legal.

Never mind about trading. The AI might like us, but they absolutely hate our teammates so there will be none throughout the game most likely.

12. TurdFerguson

TurdFerguson Chieftain

Would it make sense to send one or both of our 'friends' after HBR or IW and for us to keep moving on Aesthetics, ABC, etc.?

13. Rex Tyrannus

I don't think it makes sense to devide our research. Our big advantage is that the AI teams won't be doing that. Personally, I like ABCs, but that's usually for trade purposes (AI values ABC and often doesn't research it themselves). I'm not sure if the AI attitudes will allow us to trade, though.

I'll play tonight, BTW.

14. v8_mark

v8_mark Prince

What about Iron Working? That would let us work the gems near York, which will help our research no end (as well as giving us +1:) )

15. pholkhero

pholkhero Deviant Mind

w e mostly will NOT be able to trade. all AIs have been WBed to LOVE their teammates (+100) and HATE everyone else

16. Rex Tyrannus

Ha! I haven't played Civ in two years but my BTS disc was on my desk where I'd left after the last time I played. It was all dusty. I'm imagining my wife's reaction if I'd left a beer can on the kitchen counter for 2 years. Downloading patches, BTW.

17. Rex Tyrannus

So here, once again, I return to this infernal addiction, knowing full well only bad things will arise of my doing so. Nonetheless, willingly, I continue.

Vonnegut wrote that "the insane, on occasion, are not without their charms" and it is with this thought wholly in mind that I press enter. I hold my breath. I take the plunge.

Red Five is going in...

Check that, Red Five is flaming out.

To be continued...

18. Rex Tyrannus

:eek: So, I bet you're wondering how we got here. Well, it all started innocently enough.

Writing came in and I took Ironworking. In hindsight, I should have taken archery, but hindsight is pretty much like looking at someone's ass.

We had some barb attacks, but no biggie. Our shiny new chariot came in and I started in on a settler in London.

We killed an archer at York. Things were going well. Then this big fat hairy a--hole showed up and s--t on everything!

I bailed on the settler and set our sights on...what all we can build are warriors? Awesome!

Next turn...

Two! Yay us. I assume I'm not the only one who know the odds of a chariot in a city beating a spear. In the words of Dean What's-His-Name from Animal House...

But don't worry, friends, because some other jerk was busy building wonders in Barbtropolis.

To be continued...

19. Rex Tyrannus

The spears were on our door. The horses whinnied with fear.

I whipped up a warrior and readied the defenses.

This paid off and the warrior took the brunt of the attack. He won.

Just in time to lose Judaism

The next spear attacked .

He killed our dude. Somewhere in the frey, a spear attacked our chariot and withdrew. I don't remember if it was a third or the next round. Or maybe I took two screenshots of the same battle and got confused. Either way, injured chariot.

Time to whip another warrior.

Spears attack warrior

Spears kill warrior. Spear attacks chariot.

London kaput

20. Rex Tyrannus