Phaedo02- Rage_Against_The_Machine

It was a busy weekend but I'll get to it in a day or two. I am interested in the resource thing though. We are planning to keep the uranium pillaged except for the turns we need it right?

We are, but if you read Downhill's post, it may be in vain; I think we need to have a decent sized arsenal of Nukes just to be on the safe side.

lurker's comment:

At depletion rate = 5, you could run it through 31 turns and, if it does not deplete, have 99.9% confidence that pillaged resources won't deplete.

lurker's comment:

Sorry, in a statistical sense I have misused the term "confidence" above. What I should have said is that if you run it through 31 turns it has a 99.9% probability of depleting if pillaged resources are capable of doing so.

If you run it through 42 turns, you can get to a greater than 99.9999% chance that it will deplete if it is possible.

Bede called me a "quant". I bristled at the thought, but it seems that I am guilty as charged...

I did read the post, and I even think I understood it:). I was thinking that Alex still had another nuke but I re-read Norton's set. So as I understand it, if pillaged resources are susceptible to exhaustion, they would have the same chance as a connected resource. Will Alex treat us the same way if is connected or not? I assume our possession of ICBMs will be more of a factor than connected resources. I don't mind disconnecting the resources but it would be less fiddley to just leave them connected.

I did read the post, and I even think I understood it:). I was thinking that Alex still had another nuke but I re-read Norton's set. So as I understand it, if pillaged resources are susceptible to exhaustion, they would have the same chance as a connected resource. Will Alex treat us the same way if is connected or not? I assume our possession of ICBMs will be more of a factor than connected resources.

I'm not sure how Alex treats us has any relevance; we are at war, so I doubt if the possession of Nukes will affect that. He might be more willing than ever to make peace but that ain't gonna happen.

]
I don't mind disconnecting the resources but it would be less fiddley to just leave them connected.

How fiddly can it be? Shift + 'P' to pillage, hold down 'R' on a stack of workers to reconnect; and that only needs doing on the turn that we commence a Nuke or SS Part requiring U (of which there is one more).

I'm not sure how Alex treats us has any relevance; we are at war, so I doubt if the possession of Nukes will affect that. He might be more willing than ever to make peace but that ain't gonna happen.

Sorry, I wasn't really clear with my question.

I was not really thinking about Alex's attitude in terms of trading but his commitment to war and research. If we get overly threatening, will he just give up on the military and run for space, or will he put more effort into his military and slow down his research? Also, if the uranium is connected, will that city attract his landings or will he go for open cities. If we had a U city that was empty, would that draw him in?

Sorry, I wasn't really clear with my question.

I was not really thinking about Alex's attitude in terms of trading but his commitment to war and research. If we get overly threatening, will he just give up on the military and run for space, or will he put more effort into his military and slow down his research? Also, if the uranium is connected, will that city attract his landings or will he go for open cities. If we had a U city that was empty, would that draw him in?

I doubt if anything would change; it's noticable that there have been fewer landings in the last couple of turnsets. He has lost quite a few transports, and despite what the Mil Adviser says, Alex doesn't have too many units spare for invasion purposes; the AI is incredibly inflexible in that it will keep 3 defenders in every city, and Alex has a lot of cities.

He has so far ignored our U; he has nuked Amsterdam twice, presumably because it was hooked up to Aluminium.

We now have more than enough units to repell any landings anyway, although it's not impossible that we'll see another ICBM hit - you know what the AI is like for starting builds in semi-corrupt cities.

Apart from the depleted U scenario, I don't see any way for us to lose this game from here.

Sorry, RL hit hard the past few days. I'm going to need a skip.

=/ Wow guys, please don't tell me this Succession game is dying out!

Whatever happened to the 24 hours rule or whatever!

I FINALLY READ THE MIDDLE PART OF THE STORY

WITHOUT PICTURES

JUST FOR YOU!!!

Norton, any chance we could switch? I'm really struggling for Civ time at the moment, and I can't see me being able to play before Tuesday.

I can take it tomorrow, so no problem. Looks like I'll be playing after myself, though.

=/ Wow guys, please don't tell me this Succession game is dying out!

Whatever happened to the 24 hours rule or whatever!

I FINALLY READ THE MIDDLE PART OF THE STORY

WITHOUT PICTURES

JUST FOR YOU!!!

No need to worry--we haven't been very strict about that rule. I'll even post a couple of screenies for you this time. How's that? ;)

I can take it tomorrow, so no problem. Looks like I'll be playing after myself, though.

Thanks, Norton.

It's just me and you for a while - Elephanium has computer probs again, and Phaedo's out until we hear from him - so it's best to try and keep it moving, even if that means successive sets.

I'll be around tomorrow if you need to stop and consult over anything, and I should have my playing time back by Tuesday, maybe even Monday.

This game isn't over until Alex stands there crying, waving our spaceship goodbye.

Absolutely; I hope you'll be at the launch party, SM.

I can take a set anytime - when Civ froze during my Slavemaster set, I was more frustrated about losing my notes than unable to play any more.

I just need to save my notes each turn, I guess.

I can take a set anytime - when Civ froze during my Slavemaster set, I was more frustrated about losing my notes than unable to play any more.

I just need to save my notes each turn, I guess.

OK. If you take it after me we will be back in the right order; Phaedo can slot in once RL lets up.

I should be able to get back in the next round.
So it's Norton, Buce Tusker Norton Me. :)

I'm 5 turns into the set (sorry I started a bit later than expected). Nothing major to report so far, except that Alex has slowed down his research quite a bit:

So not only has he lost the commerce bonus from democracy, but he's also dropped research to 30%! This could take a while. BTW, there was no danger of losing the spy: after checking the War Academy, I confirmed that "investigate city" always succeeds.

In addition, I started 3 ICBM builds and then pillaged our uranium, reconnecting it once to start the SS fuel cells.

Top Bottom