1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] Phoenicia Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by bite, Jan 29, 2019.

1. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Honestly, they should start with writing as a free tech.

2. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

The entire civ's theme is thematically appropriate. Mass settling on coast? Bonus to all naval unit construction? Harbors? Forward settling? It's all there.

My main issues are the relative pointlessness of the Writing Eureka and the question of whether Palaces are retained in ex-capitals. Some more bonuses to coastal tiles would have been cool. +1 production comes to mind.

nzcamel and Hawke9 like this.
  3. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

But for gameplay, I wish they would have gotten something that worked them towards their ships and harbor.

4. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

I think they will make a fine diplomatic victory type as well, with all that trade going everywhere, heck you could even bypass conquering penalties by pushing city fliping.

nzcamel and Xandinho like this.
  5. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

I agree.. which is why I want Writing as a free Tech. Build that Campus and get those coastal techs.

6. Duuk

Duuk Doom-Sayer Supporter

I like that 1/3 of the posts are "worst civ ever" 1/3 are "I need more info" and 1/3 are "Dido will forward settle and dominate the world so hard".

Kimiimaro, MrRadar, Ferocitus and 8 others like this.
  7. Giskler

Giskler +1 Sleuthing

Their civilization is named after their unique luxury, I just find it a bit odd to not include it when they were famous for it (and made boatloads of money from trading it).

8. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

I have a feeling a lot of this is due to coastal cities being relatively weak in pre-GS. In GS the tables have flipped with much more significant bonuses to naval empires and Phoenicia is really powerful at maintaining a plethora of those cities irrespective of their location. Just don't be stupid and settle in the middle of another empire's core.

Also more direct bonuses are great but ultimately the most significant contributor to snowballing is city number. Phoenicia can drill settlers out like no other even when they scale really high in cost.

9. God of Kings

God of Kings Ruler of all heads of state

I strongly agree that Writing should be a free tech given that the Phoenician script is the script that ultimately created almost all other scripts used later in history (excluding those based on Chinese writing such as Chinese writing itself, Kana, and Hangul; and pre-Columbian scripts of Australia, Polynesia, and the Americas (though Cherokee and Canadian Aboriginal Syllabics are ultimately derived from Phoenician script)).

Kimiimaro, nzcamel, conorbebe and 3 others like this.
  10. Seek

Seek Deity Supporter

100 base production. Regardless, I'm quite sure the palace is not left behind in each former capital.

Not necessarily: I never looked once at that thread and I'm disappointed in the lack of exciting abilities here. :D

11. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

but Luxes grow on trees in civ 6.

nzcamel likes this.
  12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

Also extra science, culture, and faith from running early international trade routes. Which they can do slightly more safely than other civs over water thanks to the bireme.

I agree with others that only getting a boost to writing, instead of the whole tech, seems a bit of a let down. Obviously it's a nod to where our alphabet comes from, which is why it isn't a shipbuilding tech boost. I assume it's for game balance reason and a concern that the Phoenicians not get Campuses too much earlier than anyone else.

13. Lily_Lancer

Lily_Lancer Deity

1: Dido changes her skin color (compared to Civ5)
    2: Moving Capital is too costly
    3: However, other bonuses ,as well as UU and UB, are good.

Tiger Genocide and Jkchart like this.
  14. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

I suspect this as well but it's essentially a pointless bonus in practice. Even hurricane immunity would be more useful.

nzcamel and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  15. Icicle

Icicle Prince

The model for the leader looks great! I like the uniqueness of shifting capitals around to screw with loyalty, I can see them being fun for culture-flippers.

16. Tinker

Tinker Prince

What language does she speak?

17. Phoenix1595

Phoenix1595 Lord of the Two Lands

See @God of Kings reply above. They invented the alphabet we now use today, so it is a little nod to that.

God of Kings likes this.
  18. Ziad

Ziad Emperor

Phoenician.

Again it's not the concept of it but the actual impact it has on gameplay. Meeting civilizations isn't exactly difficult.

nzcamel, Icicle, Elhoim and 1 other person like this.
  19. ehecatzin

ehecatzin Emperor

Exactly, as soon as you get a government district and Cothon going you are going to pump out settlers like there's no tomorrow.

Honestly I'd like it as well if they started with writing, you still gotta unlock the harbor before you can actually explode your colonizing, getting there a bit faster seems like it would help a lot.

nzcamel likes this.
  20. SammyKhalifa

SammyKhalifa Deity

I'm going to guess that it was nerfed in playtesting.