Pie's Ancient Europe

Ok thanks.

I can't build Royal Road with the Persians (Xerses). I got the Royal Road technology.

You can only build them with immortal and persian spearman (lancier). if the worker could build it, other CIVs would also be able to do so.

I'll update the strategy text for that tech. thx!

Last edited:
- Second random comment : Your mod is great, but conquering cities is I think too hard at a certain point. I don't know yow to prevent an Immortal A.I to constantly bring new units and kill my sieging stacks.

That your (first) strategy can fail is a feature, not a bug.

You need a massive military superiority to take fortified cities with numerous units.

Circling it and make it starves seem to does not work at all. Even if you pillaged and put units in every titles of the city.

I played and win an Immortal 5000 BC game. Not so hard now, but you have to know when to attack, when to don't.

A good strategy is to declare war to an A.I, and let him send stacks you will farm for great generals, and slaves.

You don't have to circle the city necessarly but it's better if you think he will send reinforcements. You need first to reduce his Fortification level up to zero, then uses many archers (or late catapults) to hut his units, then use close combat units. As the A.I can't spawn more than one unit per turn, you ll win necessarly.

Gladiators are really important in hard difficulties to compet with insane free prootions the A.I gets.

Thanks again, for your mod.

Yes, very good strategy. With massive military you win every CIV game. In PAE this should be more harder because you need more money than in BTS and you need one or more healer wagons. That's the difference. But the main game is CIV.

Just two random notes :)

1. I'm wondering why there are still invisible Trees in the Savanna because I made the same changes a few years ago. Probably my changes got lost.

2. If you want still more diversity, merijn, Check out in CyPlot:
Code:
VOID setFeatureDummyTexture (STRING dummyTag, STRING textureTag)
VOID setFeatureDummyVisibility (STRING dummyTag, BOOL show)

If you grouping trees in the nifs you could explicit hide these groups plotwise.
The first function allows the replacement of the texture plotwise.

Both changes will not stored in the save game.

Dear Pie,

First of all, thank you so very, very much for all the work you have put in. I can honestly say I have never enjoyed a game (yes, I mean ANY game) this much and with the new version it just keeps getting better.

I love the distrubution of resources. It makes the game much more interesting. Scouting the world with penteconters and trade wagons to acquire new exotic goods to bring home. Pleasant side effect is the reduced stress on rapid expansion. Also the regionally produced products such as wine, olive oil, ivory, etc. are a great improvement.

One thing though about redistributing resources... The overstretching I was prone to (which has now lost an important purpose), has been replaced with another questionable practice: I find myself speeding towards land my neighbour is about to claim with a trade wagon and a wagon, just to steal the only rice resource in the world from under his nose. Last time, my wagon failed to distribute such a 'stolen' resource in my own lands, and that's how millet threatened to disappear from history altogether (I couldn't resist using the world builder to ehm, fix it). I'm wondering if maybe an unclaimed resource should be able to be loaded onto a wagon and at the same time left on the tile. Does my wagon really collect every pig in the vast area that is a tile? Must be hard labor. Or do I collect just enough to have a good chance of starting a pig farm back home?

Other great improvements: the 'new' market (brilliant), no more gold bonus from the brass smeltery and very important: the fix of the extremely overpowerd governors. Maybe you had fixed this already in a certain PAE V patch, but I didn't realize you were still working on this mod. Imagine my joy these past few weeks, especially while bound to the house...

The Fear feature is ok. I might grow into that but personally I think it needs an alteration. I had my stack opposing another stack. My battle axe warrior attacked and even though it had a 90% chance of winning, it was defeated by a disc chariot. The disc chariot was left with 0.7 strength. Oh, how I wanted revenge and finish the thing off! But to my utter frustration whatever remained of the disc chariot was safely stacked under a couple of other units, which I could not hope to defeat because of the 20% penalty. That felt so unfair! What's your take on this particular situation? By the way, I read the discussion a few pages back about what to call it. Have you considered Terror?

And another thing. While playing the Persians, I invented Iron Weaponry, I had built forges and I had iron. Still, I wasn't able to build axemen. If that's intentional, that's ok. But for the life of me, I couldn't figure out why! So... why?

And now the reason I finally decided to join the ranks here. I'm not too excited about some of the leader traits. The free City Raider I promotion for conquerors is too much of an advantage in my opinion. I see a few ways to counter this. Maybe by lowering the bonus effect, or otherwise by preventing a unit to promote to CRII through experience, but rather make it available only through battle. Expansive is also a gift that keeps on giving. The +2 health can be huge on its own in the early game and on top of that you have discounted workers AND settlers. Wow, just wow.

On the other hand, I'm often disappointed when I am randomly assigned a protagonist. For instance, charismatic. I don't like this trait. Why not give 2 happy instead of 1? Have you tested the effects somewehere along the way? Another thing I can think of is a +1 or even +2 diplomatic bonus: "I'm impressed...". Also, an exception in relation to the Fear trait is an option. And spiritual: could it be an option to be able to assign a priest in villages from Priesthood on? Too powerful? Otherwise, maybe it would be an idea to have a city generate 1 culture as soon as the state religion is present. Have a missionary join your settler and enjoy a quick border pop without having to build tombs or the like (even though those are already discounted). Seems interesting to me. Or maybe you don't want spiritual and creative to be too much alike, even though in old times they were most often closely related. In that case, how about an extra allowed missionary? How else are you going to win a religion victory? Maritime: harbor gives +100% trade route yield instead of +50%. I'm just spitballing here. Please if you read this, let me know if altering the traits is überhaupt an option. You have put so much work in balancing the game that I'm a bit embarrassed just proposing these changes.

Last edited:
Thx Gardarel,
I am very happy you love PAE like I do :) even after 10 years of developing, I am always under its spell... on every game I start for testing....

About your issues:

Distribution of trade post resources:
Stealing the only resource on map: you're right. Although I implemented the chance to be 100 on distributing resourcen you don't own (at least since patch 6.2),
you showed me an exploit to steal resources from others. So I'll change it like that: taking a bonus resource on a trade post, will keep the bonus on the plot.

Fear:
Oh, that's bad but unfortunately part of the game. What I'd do on that situation? Flee. Heal my troops in a safe territory (eg city) and try again.
I try to prevent that with taking at least one rider with me. But only when my opponent uses such units. :)
Terror/Fear... fear is ok, I think ;) you're not going to panic, you're worried.

Iron Weaponry and Persians:
They get a strong spearman unit and their rank system starts. Yes, I reduced axeman in the classical era to a minimum. only those barbars in nothern countries can build them.
why: I couldn't find classical axemen in a higher culture. Iron axes are only used as tool there (if really necessary). I could imagine the climate and the situation that you don't need axes all the time in almost treeless countries could be reason for a lower usage.

Leader traits:
So, +2 health for expansive leaders can be strong, you're right. Why should they live healthier than others? you're right.
City raiders: too strong? lowering effects. yes, also this is something I can imagine.
Charismatic: 2 happiness instead of 1. sounds ok too.
Spiritual: no, priest and culture shall come later. there is no need to have large cultural borders in bronze age.
Maritim: oh, this only adds one trade route to coastal cities (Patch 6.2). the 100% are just building costs (which in fact means 50% prod costs)

for the traits above, I'd like to discuss in the German forum. There are lots of critical PAE players who will be happy to give their opinion.

And welcome to the fanatics forum!

Thanks for the response!

I didn't succesfully distribute the millet because my wagon was killed. Ran into a bunch of bears and lions. Bad luck.

Fear: fine, I'll adapt. ;) It's kind of a forced way to finally get me to implement combined arms, but hey, it does the job. Never cared much for horses, which is both historically inaccurate and a shame.

About the axemen and the Persians: I figured as much and I agree. Thanks for the background info about the trees, that's a nice theory. It just came as a surprise since the restrictions aren't mentioned in the civilopedia.

I hope you are going to keep up the good work. Until it's perfect, which it will abviously never be. I work with elderly people and I see them being bored 80% of the time. So I thought to myself: I'll always have Civ IV. :lol:

And thanks for the tip about the German forum. I think it would be difficult for me to contribute auf Deutsch, but I'll probably understand 95%. That way won't have to bother you with having to have the same discussion in two languages.

Yes, the trees are just my funny theory :D
I'd really say, that using heavy axes are not as comfortable as swords or lances/spears. you can throw a spear (better than an axe where you don't know if it hits with the stock), you can keep the enemy at distance with a spear, you can stab with a spear. even with a sword you can stab and swing. With an axe you are only able to swing. and I am sure, the weight played a role too. the Germans as we know, were strong big men. and they use the axe all the time due to their enviroment. the axes of tiny 1.50 men would have been smaller und ineffective towards bigger ones. the scyths on their horses used thin axes: sagaris. for a good reason. they probably would have lost a strong heavy axe when they haul off :) ... or even kill their horse :D

Pedia: I can't really put that info into the pedia. otherwise I have to explain why Celts, Berbers, Iberians,.... didn't use libraries and so on... I know, PAE is full of historical facts... and the fact that some CIVs can do/construct things others can't, isn't really a missing thing, it's just a fact where you have to trust PAE... sadly. as long as I find other informations.

Maybe PAE will get you to search the internet yourself for various things to find out more about what interests you. I do this very often I read books or watch documentaries. Not as much now as before.

Your wagon: oh... funny... ok, this is something I couldn't foresee :D
but soon, you may get the bonus resources from the trade posts, without "stealing" it.

And yes, I hope, when I'll be old, I will be able to sit on a chair for hours to play PAE. That is my main concern. :)

You may of course use the German forum and write in English there. As you want. In the other forum there could be more response.

Oh, but you do mention those things in civilopedia! To build a library, you must research the tech The Library. And in the entry about the tech it is clearly pointed out which civs are able to research it. And federates, they are listed as a unique unit for [a whole bunch of civs]. What makes axemen different in PAE VI? It doesn't really bother me now I know. It's just that I was at war with those blasted Phoenicians (I can't stand those guys, I don't know why), beelining for axemen, who would have probably given me the upper hand. And when I finally made it, I was searching for ten minutes trying to figure out whether this was a civ thing (as it turns out to be), my mistake because I missed something in a pedia entry and didn't fill all the prerequisits, or your mistake (which would have been a big one and therefore not likely).

And I read my stuff from time to time, but probably not as much as you did. What I did read though is that the oldest sewerage system was actually in Harappa. https://www.academia.edu/5937322/Ch...ppa_Indus_valley_civilization_ca._26001900_BC This is the second source I came across that claims the ancient Indians built sewers!

I learned what I know about warfare from Archer Jones' reference work The Art of War in the Western World. Do you know about this book? The part about ancient warfare (until 200 AD) is only 80 pages or so but it is loaded with basic information about how one weapon system is vulnerable to another weapon system. Through accounts of the great battles he describes how this developed towards a system of combined arms with more and more articulation (which was obviously necessary for larger armies). After reading I was in love with the young Macedonian king and understood why the Italians mention Scipio in their anthem.

Yes, you're right, for some things I mention special issues in the pedia, but I can't do it for all. But sure, I can add a pedia info for the classical axeman. so that only northern tribes may create them. I'll do that. Thx.

Archer Jones: no, I don't have this book, perhaps I read it via google.books... I can't remember.

Hi PIE,

longstanding fan of the present MOD here. I haven't played Civ4 in two years, but the thing that brought me back to it is your mod, just like two years ago.
I was surprised how much I recall how to optimally play and also surprised how much harder it became. When playing the original Civ4, I was a IMM/deity player,
so I got used to face strong AIs. However, the AIs are impossibly strong in PAE compared to what it used to be few years ago. In the original game, in the best
maps, you can outpace once in while - briefly or not - the AI on the technological race and expansion. I am referring to IMM/deity. In PAE, with incredible maps, the
player may outpace in the early game, but then comes a long period of nothingness until the city growth catches up the AI's. Quite often, one has to wait until 100 BC or
even in the AD to have a glimpse of the end of the dark age tunnel, even with the best civilizations such as Egypt, Sumeria, etc.

I looked up the XML files and it became clear what was happening. The economic and growth differences are borderline ludicrous. Here's certain examples on IMM difficulty:
  • PAE increases player unit cost to 130% while base game has it to 90%.
  • PAE increases player tech cost to 140% while base game has it to 125%.
  • PAE increases civic upkeep and inflation to 125% while base game has it to 100%.
  • PAE provides AI a unit cost handicap of 60% while base game has it to 80%.
  • PAE provides AI a growth handicap of 60% while base game has it to 85%.
The unit training and growth bonuses help the AIs to grow an empire at an insane speed that favors the human player to turtle up for a very, very long
time. The player can attack and take down some AIs (1 to 3) early in the game with a decent axe warrior/basket archer army. Then, the AI spams units at a rate that the human player
cannot dream to compete with until the late game. The large gap in growth and economic penalties make a large portion of the game hopeless. Also, I noticed the capacity of whipping
population into production has been moved to later stages (Codex to Martial Law). The capacity of turning food into production is one of the hallmarks of winning high level difficulties.

I shall be more clear in my thoughts once I finish my current game with Phoenicia, but it appears only high commerce maps with a good civ and where you can deny patches of land
from the AI using mountain ridges are the ones with winning potential. The majority of maps on EMP+ difficulty are hopeless in PAE. The salvaging point is PAE does not make tech difference as
horrifying as in the base game. While it is hard to fend off waves of canons/cavalry/riflemen with medieval units in the base game, PAE makes it possible to take down defensively shield bearers with more
primitive soldiers.

BTW, don't get me wrong, this mod is fabulous. The amount of work shows it. One aspect that brings me back to it - besides the theme (ancient time) - is the war mechanics.
It is not as simple as I have seen in other mods. You can enslave, you can have defection, you can shower or be showered of arrows, supply systems, advanced loot system, have
in disposition of a gigantic promo tree. I love it when a foreign soldier that I can't build on my own defects to my nation; it gives a different flavor to each game.

I am hoping to open a discussion on this matter. My opinion concerns more custom maps than scenarios. I think there is a German forum with a decently active thread on PAE. I wonder what
they think of IMM+ difficulties. I think it would be fun to be able to be able to compete with the AI in the mid-game.

I just compared PAE V handicap sheets to the most recent patch of PAE VI. I see how greater are the boosts given the AIs, and the penalties to the players.

Another detail I haven't mentioned, but kills the player is the max number of cities maintenance going from 9 to 7. Ouch!

I believe handicaps should be made in a way the highest difficulty is winnable despite hard to wade through it. I left Realism Invictus for that reason because IMM+
are plain unwinnable due to restrictive happiness/health mechanics and insertion of psychopathic K-mod AIs that kill the player in the crib.

I understand some may point out to tone down one difficulties or two, but I have enough experience to tell the highest difficulties are hopeless unless having an incredible
map. The base game had this thing to build up a core potent economy to reach up cavalry or canon (steel) and demolish the AI with the power of gunpowder. PAE is about
incremental military edge, not a large leap as the whole game plays in the ancient era. In the current situation, the end of the tunnel in PAE is comparable to having nukes in
the base game. It is a long way before forcing the AIs to kneel down, making the player miss the fun/action of 70% of the playthrough.

Hi! First, great mod, I love it :)
Since I saw recently the new version VI of this mod, I promptly gave the new XXL Eurasia map a try.
I finally made a account here on Civfanatics to share and ask few things, mostly wondering if what happened was average behavior or just the randomness of the game playing itself out.

The Greeks were so good at their job that after colonizing Sardinia, they went straight up to Norway, settling on that Zinc resource up there. At some point I took Athens and their capital relocated there. Their city maintenance went through the roof!

Also the Egyptians went near Gibraltar to settle Abusir.
And the Goth settled Samarobriva in Central Gaul.

Is it normal that sometimes cities settled by the AI dont respect the two tiles minimum spacing between cities?

In the Civpedia, the descriptions of the settled food and mine slaves still indicate 3 food and +1 great Merchant point for the first, and 2 prod and +1 Great Engineer point which I guess is just the text hasn't been updated and reflects an older state of the mod.
I was searching for sources of Great Merchant point, In order to have a shot at founding Ceres Cult. In my game the Numidians got to it first, and it never spread (locking me out of that sweet terracotta workshop).

After reading various thread on this mod and limited testing in-game, I'll give proper city besiegeing a try on my next game .

I love that I can sabotage other Civ plot improvement on critical resources and wage some kind of covert wars against my opponents and it could work even better with this mod component where spies get back to the closest city instead of the capital: https://forums.civfanatics.com/threads/lemons-spy-mod.464099/. (I tried personally compiling a new .dll with this mod. It works but it interfere with the loading of the civilization for the scenarios, cutting the list in the middle. I figure PAE VI .dll is no the original one).

Once again, a great mod, Keep up the good work!

Top Bottom