Pie's Ancient Europe

stolen, that was a great work! no, this IS a great work. 61 buildings!
and this was really a very important part to get PAE better! less logging from the game and better view while playing. thx so much for that, stolen!

I will probably add a few skins and I let you know, if there is sthg to do. But then this part of PAE is finally done! I am very proud of your work!

stolen, that was a great work! no, this IS a great work. 61 buildings!
and this was really a very important part to get PAE better! less logging from the game and better view while playing. thx so much for that, stolen!

I will probably add a few skins and I let you know, if there is sthg to do. But then this part of PAE is finally done! I am very proud of your work!

Thanks, I appreciate the praise. I tried to make them as good as possible. All have shadows, basements, and as reduced a polycount as possible without sacrificing aesthetics.

Hello Pie

First let me say that this is a wonderful, wonderful mod and that you and everyone that contributed should be very proud.

I am having stability issues that cause the game to crash every 30 turns or so: sometimes between turns and sometimes during a turn. In the past I have simply reloaded from the previous save and continued without issue.

However, I'm currently experiencing crashes at the same point between 205BC and 204BC and would like some assistance. I am running PAE IV on Civ4 BTS 319 on Win7 on a MacBookPro. The Windows problem details are:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.1.9.0
Application Timestamp: 4a0c27e6
Fault Module Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.1.9.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 4a0c27e6
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 005437f7
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.768.3
Locale ID: 3081
Additional Information 1: 8485
Additional Information 2: 84853502223d8164a31468861a7c3d71
Additional Information 3: a4ea
Additional Information 4: a4eacf9d27e5ee8cb3a70ac0035eb8ab

I have attached the save game. Any help that you could give would be much appreciated. If there is any contribution to the mod that can be made by an unskilled person then I am more than happy to help.

Cheers

Mister Glass

Attachments

• Socratinho BC-0205.CivBeyondSwordSave
    954.3 KB · Views: 39
oh, ehm, sorry ;)
first, thx for your words!
but I have to say, I am sorry, PAE IV is not as stabil as PAE III and got lots of CtD causing bugs. I can't repair a save file or convert to a WB file. I think, when you're opening the WorldBuilder, you'll crash too. There is a fault in the TECH xml file (>> instead of >) and the Trojan horse has to put out via WB or generally. Another buggy thing is the irrigation canal, which is only repairable in the PlotLSystem....

I am modding PAE V which will be more stabil than PAE III and with which I would be glad, if you give a try. But wait some days/weeks, when I put a new big BETA version of PAE V BETA online.

I am having stability issues that cause the game to crash every 30 turns or so: sometimes between turns and sometimes during a turn. In the past I have simply reloaded from the previous save and continued without issue.

However, I'm currently experiencing crashes at the same point between 205BC and 204BC and would like some assistance. I am running PAE IV on Civ4 BTS 319 on Win7 on a MacBookPro. The Windows problem details are:

While I don't know anything about programming, it might be helpful to know that I've had similar problem on my Macbook Pro and a little internet sleuthing turned up suggestions that it may be a problem with the basic vanilla CIV IV. There was something about a galley unit causing a crash upon entering a random tile that could only be avoided if you opened the save game in the world editor and deleted the galley unit (or all of them if you don't want to go through the trial and error of finding the offending one).

What I always found solved the problem was to either do something different with my own galleys/navy the turn before. If that didn't solve it, I would try to do something completely different the turn before like not move any units or lay siege to another city or start a golden age and hope that the AI would move its galleys and navies elsewhere.

Thanks again to Pie & Co. and looking forward to the new beta and the Punic scenario!

I have been playing a lot of PAE V and i cant seem to realize any bugs after i fixed the one we talked about maybe 4 weeks ago. What i dont like so much is AI. When playing on noble it is rather easy to do what i please. I guess im used to K-Mod's AI too much. Any chance u could improve AI for the upcoming beta? :D

Yes, I will also do some handling for the AI in PAE V. Some possible things in python...

To make city more resistent against sieges, I add a flight chance of 70% for city defenders, who remain in the city. Sieges get more difficult but also historical. The feature of city surrender will also get more important!
While city defending, I will try to tell the AI to use all its ranged attack units to decimate the energy of the attacker. this will be fun... :D

Now that should be rly fun. Cant wait for next update. ;)

First of all congratulations for this great mod. I've been having a lot of fun with it.

I must agree with the previous poster on the fact that the AI needs to be improved a lot. Since I arrived late to the party I don't think that I should pour out criticisms just like that but I will say this about the very beginning of the game:

The first settler needs some extra movement for playability sake (screw realism in this matter). The location of the capital is too crucial - This is actually to help the AI not the human player (One can just regenerate if one wants so whatever...).

Spawning locations should never involve jungle. One just doesn't go anywhere on those starting locations in this game. Again for the AI.

Example from V beta:

Needless to say Pericles didn't get anywhere although it was an immortal game. Also the tech choices were poor by him. Having three fishes (!!) and being maritime he should have went straight towards fishing and boat building and not hunting and the religion technologies. As far as I am concerned the fishing starts are usually the best for this slow game. Still the AI is obsessed with hunting and mysticism early on no matter what.

Also when the AI hunt they do it too defensively: Sometimes I see a hunter throwing arrows at a deer for several turns in a row!

That's it for now.

One question about unit categorization and "aggressive" leader perk. Aggressive perk gives free Combat I promotion to melee units. Since there are melee and spear-barer units is it intended that just the melee unit category gets the free promotion and spear-barer doesnt? Both categories are melee (except for auxiliary). I dont know if some greater picture is taken into account to justify omitting spear-barer from free upgrade, but it seems a bit strange. (PAE V)

Thx Horatius,
yes the AI will improved in choosing the correct techs too. About spawning locations, I can't influence that on random maps.

En_Dotter: no, axe and spear fighting is different. and the less same advantages unit types get, the more variant.

Tnx for the feedback. I agree on different fighting styles but i find it strange that a leader with a certain trait would neglect one type of unit over other. And ofc its a game so its np. Tnx for clarification ;)

hm the first settler only... I think, this wouldn't help. The AI will settle on the next possible plot.
but I could give a settler 2 movements generally. perhaps that helps with the second city (and perhaps the first too).... would you agree this as a solution?

en_dotter: you're right, but this trait could also give archers, riders, siege units etc. that promotion too... but CIV doesn't.

Top Bottom