Pig EBOLA?!

LucyDuke

staring at the clock
:run: :run: :run:

A form of Ebola virus has been detected in pigs for the first time, raising concerns it could mutate and pose a new risk to humans.

Ebola-Reston virus (REBOV) has only previously been seen in monkeys and humans - and has not caused illness.

But researchers are concerned that pigs might provide a melting pot where the virus could mutate into something more menacing for humans.

The new discovery - in the Philippines - is featured in the journal Science.

However, the researchers, from the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, stress that the virus at present appears to pose no risk to humans.

It has been detected in farm workers who tend the infected pigs, and they have shown no signs of illness.

However, writing in Science, the researchers said: "REBOV infection in domestic swine raises concern about the potential for emerging disease in humans and a wider range of livestock.

"There is concern that its passage through swine may allow REBOV to diverge and shift its potential for pathogenicity."

REBOV belongs to the family of filoviruses which usually target primates.

Deadly bleeding

These viruses cause viral haemorrhagic fevers, which cause extensive internal bleeding, and can be fatal.

The latest study examined tissue samples taken from pigs from different parts of the Philippines suffering from unusually severe respiratory infections.

Analysis showed that the animals were infected with widely varying strains of the virus, suggesting it may have circulated widely in pigs even before it was first discovered in monkeys exported to the US from the Philippines in 1989.

The researchers said it was possible that REBOV originally emerged in another, as yet unidentified, host. Fruit-eating bats have been suggested as one possibility.

Pigs are known to provide an ideal host for viruses to mutate. Experts say the potential risk is magnified because they are an essential part of the human food chain, and come into close contact with people.

Researcher Dr Michael McIntosh said: "We know this family of viruses are associated with fatal illnesses in humans.

"Even though there is no evidence at this time to suggest REBOV causes diseases in humans it does seem that it can infect humans, and be transmitted from swine to humans.

"The effect of such an infection on an immuno-compromised host - humans or swine - is also an unknown factor of concern."

The World Health Organization says that pork is still safe to eat, provided it is prepared and cooked properly.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/8143823.stm

Fascinating. It doesn't describe ebola-like symptoms in the pigs, though.

It seems Muslims are onto something with all the pig killing...

Fascinating. It doesn't describe ebola-like symptoms in the pigs, though.

I suspect because those reactions don't have an analog in a pig's physiology. It is interesting that the disease might accidentally evolve and re-transmit to humans in a more terrifying form. Also interesting if the existance of Ebola in pigs gives a clue as to what it's natural host (besides humans) is; AFAIK, we still don't know what Ebola's natural host is.

Sigh...settle down guys. It's not harmful to humans. Though there has been signs of transmission to people in close contact with pigs. Just something to monitor, I guess.

Not many things in the world scare me more than Ebola. I don't care the form. I'll be monitoring this closely :scared:

I suspect because those reactions don't have an analog in a pig's physiology. It is interesting that the disease might accidentally evolve and re-transmit to humans in a more terrifying form.

Odd, though, isn't it!

I have no idea how you could have a "more terrifying form" than good old-fashioned The Hot Zone Ebola.

Also interesting if the existance of Ebola in pigs gives a clue as to what it's natural host (besides humans) is; AFAIK, we still don't know what Ebola's natural host is.

The natural reservoir, yeah. It looks like this is an odd form of the virus, though, I don't know if it'll shine much light on where Ebola Zaire hangs out in the wild.

The natural reservoir, yeah. It looks like this is an odd form of the virus, though, I don't know if it'll shine much light on where Ebola Zaire hangs out in the wild.

Luckily by being renamed, Ebola Zaire has no native country to hide in.

Odd, though, isn't it!

I have no idea how you could have a "more terrifying form" than good old-fashioned The Hot Zone Ebola.

Zaire is not nearly contagious enough! :nuke:

Make anything nasty into an airborne disease, and then it's really nasty.

Top Bottom