Piracy?

nonconformist

Miserable
There's this weird disparity betwen what's considered piracy on this site...

giving links to downloadable material is a bannable offence, as is asking for it

yet this site seems to relish the fact that pirated music and films can easily be linked through Youtube, and in fact, the moderation team seems to engage in this activity just as much.

So, why the disparity?

There is a clear difference between advocating/encouraging torrent/downloadable piracy, and YouTube videos and music.

Yeah, if it is on youtube, let their copyright lawyers take care of it.

Yeah, if it is on youtube, let their copyright lawyers take care of it.

If it's on a third party download site, let *their* lawyers take care of it.

Where I reside, there is no law against downloading copyrighted material.

IIRC, youtube does have agreements with several media owners (I remember a failure to get such a agreement with one such media owner - AOL Time Warner or someone like it - resulted in a lot of content being blocked for users from germany, for instance)

Furthermore, Youtube has a policy of deleting content when a rights owner complains. Torrent sites obviously do now.

But not all of it; I, for instance, know that Bob Dylan specifically prohibits any of his music being distributed via youtube (not that that means anything), yet I see his music linked here all the time?

There's this weird disparity betwen what's considered piracy on this site...

giving links to downloadable material is a bannable offence, as is asking for it

yet this site seems to relish the fact that pirated music and films can easily be linked through Youtube, and in fact, the moderation team seems to engage in this activity just as much.

So, why the disparity?
Because CFC's stance on piracy is motivated by wanting to not piss off the publishers of the game for which Civilization Fanatics is a fansite. It wants to stay on Firaxis/2k's good side, as the dude above me said. It's not motivated by some great moral imperative against copyright infringement.

I'm not complaining about that at all; it's not a bad thing in any way. It means we get to link to youtube videos, but also get certain privilages e.g. contact with the Civ dev team, and an input into new games. I mean, GDRs are in Civ 5 now... wtf man. WTF!!!

Top Bottom