Please don`t pre-order.

Well, I will be preordering it. I guess I supposed that I should be glad that I haven't had the ability to play Rome 2 since before it launched due to computer issues, because otherwise I might feel like I had been ripped off by Creative Assembly. Instead I feel ripped off by Toshiba. :lol:

Well, if you are planning to buy it on the first day anyway then pre-ordering is cheaper sometimes, because of the discounts on various sites.
I have bought Civ 5 and the DLC's on their release dates so I don't see why I shouldn't benefit from the pre-order bonuses.
The only pre-order stuff I really hate are certain in game boosts (like unlocked weapons in certain FPS games).

Just my two cents though.

Sometimes are cheaper. Then you preorder Beyond Earth and it goes on steam sale on release day for a bigger discount... Never preordering again

I don't pre-order unless I trust the developer, or I have seen enough gameplay to see it looks great even before completion.

So far, Civ:BE looks amazing, fun, and is near completion. I am getting a finished product, I'm not pre-ordering like folks who jumped the gun on ROME 2 for those TF2 hats.

So I am proudly pre-ordering, both because I have both made some educated research, and because I want to support the game in its final stages of development.

I think tbh it's a safe bet to pre-order. With it being just a skin in my opinion most of the technical work has been done for years.

I'm not meaning that in a bad way but lets be honest, they are not reinventing the wheel are they.

Okay a tech-web...

I will definitely be waiting for you to go on sale, then.

One thing that I dislike more than getting fooled by a game developer is being told what NOT to do by a nobody in gaming forum... I will definitely preorder this game.

Calm down there, Anakin. It's just advice.

Moderator Action: Problems with a post should be reported, not answered. Please stop the trolling.
Please read the forum rules: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=422889

One thing that I dislike more than getting fooled by a game developer is being told what NOT to do by a nobody in gaming forum...
...well all I can say to that is:
"You should certainly NOT give me any of your money!" :D

I must admit, I was tempted to get BE with that GMG coupon. A 20-25% discount for preorder did sound quite nice. But so far I stand strong.

Seeing as there is like no evidence that BE won't be something other than what it appears to be, I see no reason to wait. For all the titles people mention, the signs were there. The moment it was announced Simcity was online only, you should have turned and ran. There was sign after sign leading up to the release of Diablo 3 (a title I DID get, but I kind of had to even though I knew it was going to be bad). Same with DA2, Duke Nukem, etc. etc.

My point here is as long as you don't let hype blind you, it is fairly obvious what you are getting. In the case of BE, all signs point to it being exactly what it claims to be: A sci-fi spin-off of Civ 5. Those with gripes against Civ 5 will likely have many of the same gripes (e.g., 1UPT) and those who are fans of Civ 5 will likely enjoy it.

I understand the paranoia in regards to the numerous terrible titles in the last few years, but it isn't like the signs weren't there...

Personally, I can't see any reason to be paranoid about CivBE being remotely screwed up like, say, Rome II was. I expect some bugs on release, sure, but I expect just as much that they'll be fixed, and that the game will receive patches for years. That's how Firaxis has rolled for years.

If I had reservations about Civ5, I might have reservations about CivBE, but I don't.

Ultimately, I save nothing holding on preordering a game I'm going to purchase anyway before there's a 25%+ discount. And in my particular case, it's a good idea to pay in advance if Beyond Earth looks solid, given how the ARS-USD exchange rate is always creeping up and chances are everything priced in USD will be more expensive in local currency two months from now. Gotta love the government's economic mismanagement. :)

Well yeah, CivBE is probably gonna be at least a good game when it comes out, but if you're not going to play it much or at all until mods come out or school/a job stops sucking up all your energy and time, then I don't really see the point in getting it until it goes on deep sale. There's also the small matter of every other game you already own.

Well yeah, CivBE is probably gonna be at least a good game when it comes out, but if you're not going to play it much or at all until mods come out or school/a job stops sucking up all your energy and time, then I don't really see the point in getting it until it goes on deep sale. There's also the small matter of every other game you already own.
Sure, anyone content waiting close to a year after release for a "deep sale" is entirely free to do so. Doesn't quite mean it's the optimal course of action for everyone.

1. We don`t truly know what we`re getting till we get it.

Not everyone needs to know everything before purchasing.

2. It encourages bad practices.

That is your opinion (offered here as fact), yet many people disagree.

3. The `incentives` are just bait trinkets to hook you. It`s not worth it.

That is again your opinion (offered here as fact), yet may people value worth in diverse ways.

4. You`ll still get the game if you don`t pre-order.

'I need to pre-order or they will be sold out' is a largely antiquated point to argue against.

5. It only suits the Publisher, NOT the customer\player.

This makes the questionable presumption that all game purchases must favor the Consumer when multiple parties should benefit.

6. It encourages bad official reviews (do not trust them).

This is paranoid to put it nicely, as no causative link can be objectively confirmed as to any collusion between Reviewers and Developers which might be used to boost Pre-order sales figures.

7. It`s a psychological trick being played on you. You feel as if you have something when in reality, you have nothing, just what you think in your mind, which is always better.

It is a Marketing Tactic when viewed optimistically. When you give it a pessimistic spin and a negative word like trick you are playing a psychological trick too (see how that felt negative when you read it?)

Just wait until release and see what customer reviews\utube reviews say. Then pay up if you`re happy with what you hear\read. patience, padawans. :)

Reviews are often less useful then Demos. Reviewers may have very different ideas about what makes a fun/good game than you. As such I let them influence my decisions but not to make them for me.

I'll be taking a few days off work to play right when it comes out so I can see the point. As for other games? I won't be touching them for a while most likely.

Top Bottom