Please don`t pre-order.

I'm getting the game no matter what - I see no reason not to pre-order once it is available on Steam.

I can pre-order a physical copy of the game at 20% off.
Since I'm probably going to want to play the game at release anyway, I think I'll do that.
I'll wait until we know a bit more about the game, closer to release.

I do agree with OP though. In most cases it's not really beneficial to pre-order games.

If I plan to buy at launch or near launch, I might as well preorder. In this case I may be able to resist. All those Kickstarter projects I've backed panning out at the same time and such...

As for supporting Firaxis, I'm pretty ambivalent about Firaxis these days.

I've got so many damn games that I can only afford to buy them 75% off because I'll probably never get around to most of them until I retire, and I'm in college.

I never pre-order. Why give money sight unseen, especially when so many games are disappointments on day 1. This being said, Sid's company is to be trusted in general, so, yes, I am tempted this time around, although 2K does not need the money like some indie studios or small publishers do.

given that preordering may give you some maps=, more info on those maps is needed to see if it is worth it.
we now have some more information:

“In those games you have maps that are like continents and pangea, but with the map scripts we’ve been creating, especially for the exoplanets, they get to be really really cool and we’re doing some really neat things with the terrain.”

“In those games you have maps that are like continents and pangea, but with the map scripts we’ve been creating, especially for the exoplanets, they get to be really really cool and we’re doing some really neat things with the terrain.”

“One is half-covered in ice,” he explains enthusiastically. “The story with that is that the rotational axis of the planet is oriented differently from most planets. There’s some cool stuff. The goal for all of this is to make every planet feel different.”
http://games.on.net/2014/08/civilization-beyond-earth-alien-terrain/

interesting.... does this mean those exoplanets will have special map types, like half arctic, that the normal map generator cannot do?

I want maps for free. I'm 85% sure I'm going to love this game. I've pre-ordered it. In fact, it's the only game I'm getting this year.

They're not free. You have to preorder them. That's the opposite of being free.

Well, if you are planning to buy it on the first day anyway then pre-ordering is cheaper sometimes, because of the discounts on various sites.
I have bought Civ 5 and the DLC's on their release dates so I don't see why I shouldn't benefit from the pre-order bonuses.
The only pre-order stuff I really hate are certain in game boosts (like unlocked weapons in certain FPS games).

Just my two cents though.

They're not free. You have to preorder them. That's the opposite of being free.

Gamestop preorders are a $5 deposit you can get back even if you don't buy the game. Of course, preorder bonuses are even cheaper if you buy them on sale months later.

Rome 2 was the straw that broke the camel back. Now preording is against my religion even if I lose money/content when I buy after the release date. Your message received. If even the Holy Firaxis will start messing with this - I think I will stop buying games at all until markets change (haven't used pirate copies for many years). Rome 2 was a hard strike in my face from Creative Assembly brrrr.

I suppose bank interest?

So $.005? Considering the game is like 1-2 months away and the highest interest on a bank account is 1.1% as far as I have been able to find since the market crashed in 08. Not much you can buy with half a penny so I would consider it free.

Also I will preorder on steam when it's available as I will buy it eventually anyways. If it's not good I will just continue with IV until it's worth playing. I didn't play more then half a game of V until GnK as it was so bad, but afterwards it was a nice time killer. Let's be real, will that 50$ matter if you spend it now or in a year, no it won't as long as you know how to budget at all.

Or you could wait for the base price to go down to $40 and get it for $10 on Sale. Or wait for it to hit $30 and $7.50. Or $20 and $5, which is probably what I'm going to do, even though it'll take two years minimum.

Well it was only £26.99 on amazon with the exoplanets bonus so I just went and pre ordered it.

Though I also got hugely disappointed by Rome Total War 2, this is Firaxis not Sega. Firaxis and Bethesda remain the only two companies I would pre order from, other than supporting indie kickstarters / early access games that look good to me.

Someone should tell Cartman about early access.

Top Bottom