Please Read: Welcome to the C-IV GOTM

Tks. I'll go ask there then. Maybe I won't use that MF, either, since it takes like forever to find a matched huge map ;)

So...what is the difference between a GOTM, a WOTM and a BOTM? What do those even mean?

(sorry I didn't read through the whole thread)

So...what is the difference between a GOTM, a WOTM and a BOTM? What do those even mean?

(sorry I didn't read through the whole thread)

GOTM = game of the month for vanilla CIV
WOTM = game of the month for Warlord CIV
BOTM = game of the month for BTS CIV

My computer kept crashing late in the game because of the high demand on my graphics card at the absolute minimum graphical parameters. Will that be a problem? Beyond the sheer and utter annoyance and frustration in having to redo the same things again occasionally (learned to turn on autosave at every turn), especially since I was already winning and wanted to get on with it, I'm worried whether this may reflect badly on my submission.

Any thoughts?

You should send a PM to whoever is responsible for the particular game you were playing (and/or to AlanH) explaining what happened, giving as much detail as you can. Crashing by itself shouldn't be a problem, though if it happens too many times in the same game it may be, but if you let the relevant staff member know, they'll be able to advise you further.

You should send a PM to whoever is responsible for the particular game you were playing (and/or to AlanH) explaining what happened, giving as much detail as you can. Crashing by itself shouldn't be a problem, though if it happens too many times in the same game it may be, but if you let the relevant staff member know, they'll be able to advise you further.

I assume that the staff member who started the relevant forum threads is the one responsible for the particular game?

I found a bug in the assets checker (version 2.2.2). If you don't have a particular version of Civ4 installed and click on its radio button, it blows up. It'd be better if it said something about it not being installed. I figured out when I went to Steam to test the save anyway that I'd only actually installed Vanilla on this computer.

Error:

Spoiler :

See the end of this message for details on invoking
just-in-time (JIT) debugging instead of this dialog box.

************** Exception Text **************
System.ArgumentException: Argument 'Length' must be greater or equal to zero.
at System.ComponentModel.ReflectPropertyDescriptor.SetValue(Object component, Object value)
at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.PerformAutoUpdates(Boolean tabbedInto)
at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.set_Checked(Boolean value)
at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnClick(EventArgs e)
at System.Windows.Forms.RadioButton.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
at System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

************** Loaded Assemblies **************
mscorlib
Assembly Version: 2.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3643 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///c:/WINDOWS/Microsoft.NET/Framework/v2.0.50727/mscorlib.dll
----------------------------------------
AssetsChecker
Assembly Version: 1.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 1.0.0.0
CodeBase: file:///C:/My%20Documents/Downloads/AssetsChecker_v2.2.2/AssetsChecker.exe
Microsoft.VisualBasic
Assembly Version: 8.0.0.0
Win32 Version: 8.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Microsoft.VisualBasic/8.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Microsoft.VisualBasic.dll
System
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3643 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.dll
System.Windows.Forms
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3637 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Windows.Forms/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Windows.Forms.dll
System.Drawing
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3639 (GDR.050727-3600)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Drawing/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Drawing.dll
System.Runtime.Remoting
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3053 (netfxsp.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Runtime.Remoting/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Runtime.Remoting.dll
System.Configuration
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Configuration/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/System.Configuration.dll
System.Xml
Win32 Version: 2.0.50727.3082 (QFE.050727-3000)
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/System.Xml/2.0.0.0__b77a5c561934e089/System.Xml.dll
Accessibility
CodeBase: file:///C:/WINDOWS/assembly/GAC_MSIL/Accessibility/2.0.0.0__b03f5f7f11d50a3a/Accessibility.dll

************** JIT Debugging **************
To enable just-in-time (JIT) debugging, the .config file for this
application or computer (machine.config) must have the
jitDebugging value set in the system.windows.forms section.
The application must also be compiled with debugging
enabled.

For example:

<configuration>
<system.windows.forms jitDebugging="true" />
</configuration>

When JIT debugging is enabled, any unhandled exception
will be sent to the JIT debugger registered on the computer
rather than be handled by this dialog box.

Obviously this isn't that important.

I found a bug in the assets checker (version 2.2.2). If you don't have a particular version of Civ4 installed and click on its radio button, it blows up. It'd be better if it said something about it not being installed. I figured out when I went to Steam to test the save anyway that I'd only actually installed Vanilla on this computer.
The Assets Checker is a Hall of Fame development. It would be best to report this in their forum, though I'm not sure whether they are still updating it these days.

I kinda feel there is something missing in this forum.

I would like to have a thread where I could just talk about ongoing games. Perhaps a post meet all AI thread where you may just report on your progress and have some feedback. I think if you forbid to post dates or resource locations in the thread it would not really spoil anything for the other players.

I guess I feel like this because I put so much effort into deity games that I feel a need to have an outlet for my thought and feelings.

Hi Folket, I'm a little confused by this. It sounds like you're asking for spoiler threads, but we already have those. In what way do the usual game spoiler threads not meet what you want?

The problem is that playing up to 0 AD is relatively fast, and then it takes me weeks of pain to get to the end of the game. What I'm asking for is a thread where I can just give reports and talk to the other players while I play the game.

OK understood. You want something that doesn't have arbitrary date cut-offs so you can discuss the game no matter what point you're at.

That's a fair request. Speaking just for myself, not other staff members, the issues I would see are:

1. Would there be enough interest to justify an extra thread. There's already arguably too many threads that are current and so need to be stuck at any one time in the GOTM forums, and I don't exactly get the impression that the current spoilers are overwhelmed with posts :)

2. How would you deal with the problem of not being able to discuss lots of bits of your game without giving spoiler info to other people? Eg. mentioning that you're at war with - say - America on a distant continent when other people might not have discovered that continent yet and so not know who their opponent is. Or even more serious, you felt you had to change your plans and go to war because it turned out that America had the only oil on the map. That kind of thing.

Both of your points was addressed in my first post.

The thread would be open for people that have met all nations so people would know America is in the game and at the very least suspect they are on a different continent.

And the other concern would be handled by not talking about resource locations. So you could not tell anyone the reason you were fighting America was to capture a resource.

And I think this thread might see more use. Especially from me on higher difficulties, as in the other threads there is no reason to do more then one post since any new information can't be added. Either it is after 1AD or the game has ended. In this thread I might put two posts a week when playing Deity.

As for number of thread. Yes I can see that being a problem. Personally I would rather have such a thread then the game ended thread. The game ended thread is fun as you can have very specific information but talking about the game you are playing is something I enjoy more.

I guess opinions may wary depending on how much you consider this a competition. I'm not competitive and would love having ongoing discussion on my plans.

ISTM the xOTM's aren't exactly competitions but they have some competition-like features, such as trying to play the best you can on your own without reloads. I think even an "I have met all the AI" thread could "spoil" by giving another reader some insight they didn't already think about -- it's not just about map information, but also about threats and strategies.

We'd need to think very, very carefully about what the restrictions on posts in yet another thread should be.

I do feel some of the same concerns as Folket about the vast gap in playing time between the 0 (or 500) AD thread and the end-of-game thread, but I don't know what to do about that.

There are game series like Nobles' Club and Immortal University that encourage more frequent postings, so perhaps there is less need to have midgame discussions in xOTM when there are already outlets for that sort of thing.

Hi there! I decided to play some old game, GOTM 10 in particular. However, this machine which loaded & run 1.74 HOF games well now display a message of "can't load... protected..." again when I try to load the savegame. I reran the Assetchecker, nothing wrong with C4Vanilla. I also did the "read only" step on the HOF 1.61.007 folder, but to no effect. Now I'm coming to think that this GOTM 10 actually needs Civ4 1.61 to be installed... Is it true? Right now I'm trying to downgrade 1.74 to 1.61, but I can't find where Civ4 1.74 is listed in Add or remove programs... Is there any way to go back to 1.61 without having to reinstall the entire game?

Hi there! I decided to play some old game, GOTM 10 in particular. However, this machine which loaded & run 1.74 HOF games well now display a message of "can't load... protected..." again when I try to load the savegame. I reran the Assetchecker, nothing wrong with C4Vanilla. I also did the "read only" step on the HOF 1.61.007 folder, but to no effect. Now I'm coming to think that this GOTM 10 actually needs Civ4 1.61 to be installed... Is it true? Right now I'm trying to downgrade 1.74 to 1.61, but I can't find where Civ4 1.74 is listed in Add or remove programs... Is there any way to go back to 1.61 without having to reinstall the entire game?

If you want to play old GOTMs, the easiest way is to download the WorldBuilder file. To do this, go to the GOTM results page, select the game you want, and you'll see a link just above the results to download the WorldBuilder file for that game. The current version of the HOF mod should be able to load any GOTM WorldBuilder file to play it - so you don't need to bother with any of the hassle of trying to downgrade your Civ version.

Good luck and have fun!

Most civ mods are stand-alone. They don't directly affect the game, so you would not need to reinstall the game to change the mod or install a new one. (The HOF mod does not install as an application nor does it directly change/alter the game's assets...most civ mods don't unless you do that yourself)

There should be no issue with installing a separate version of the vanilla HOF mod, if it is required to run older GOTMs. It just exists as a separate mod in your vanilla mods folder. (In other words, you don't need to remove 1.74, you will just add the 1.61 HOF mod. Both can exist as they don't conflict with each or with the game itself)

The WB file DS mentioned will certainly work as well, but just note that barb techs may not be correct depending on the difficulty. You can always add them back in using WB.

You can find the "Mods" folder in your main Civ4 directory

Most civ mods are stand-alone. They don't directly affect the game, so you would not need to reinstall the game to change the mod or install a new one. (The HOF mod does not install as an application nor does it directly change/alter the game's assets...most civ mods don't unless you do that yourself)

That is correct - you can install multiple versions of the HOF mod. However, there is a bigger issue with the early GOTMs: Firaxis/2K released several patches for Civ over the years, and the earlier GOTMs were played with earlier Civ patches. The file formats are incompatible, so there's simply no way to load those games with Civ patched to the current version.

Summary: For games that are a few years old, the only difference is the HOF mod version. You can load those as long as you install the corresponding HOF mod. But beyond a certain date, the actual Civ version is different too - so your only realistic option is to use the Worldbuilder file to load the game.

The WB file DS mentioned will certainly work as well, but just note that barb techs may not be correct depending on the difficulty. You can always add them back in using WB.

Note that there was a phase in GOTM history when we didn't realise that the barb techs were not defined in the WorldBuilder file or hard coded in the game software. As a result, some earlier start files, created from the WB files, didn't have the barb techs added at any difficulty. We only became consistent on this, adding them in manually across all games, about 4 years ago.

Top Bottom