1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll: Can we intergrate Engiseer's events?

Discussion in 'Community Patch Project' started by ElliotS, Jul 17, 2017.

?

Should we intergrate Engiseer's events?

Poll closed Jul 24, 2017.
  1. Yes, as long as they're not OP.

45 vote(s)
    78.9%
  2. Yes, I don't use events but if they are I might.

3 vote(s)
    5.3%
  3. No, I use default events and don't want these.

1 vote(s)
    1.8%
  4. Abstain: I don't use events and won't if these are added.

8 vote(s)
    14.0%
  1. Gazebo

Gazebo Lord of the Community Patch

It cuts deep. :(

(I'd be fine with integration IF there's interest and Enginseer manages the code on our GitHub.)
    G

2. tu_79

tu_79 Warlord

My small grain: I don't play with events, I prefer a purer approach. The only little thing that annoys me is having to unselect 'allow events' every new release.

If there's a installer version with community events, I'd love to have base game without events enabled by default.

3. Txurce

Txurce Warlord

Actually, it would be great to have a poll as to which existing features should be default, or not.

tu_79 and CrazyG like this.
  4. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

There seems to be a lot. Is it possible to get this in the next beta version as well so we can start testing?

5. Gazebo

Not really. Enginseer needs to put the code on github.

G

6. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

meh the interest is okay by far since 30 votes within 2 days is what the average "forum" community of this size should yearn for. A major interest would be doubled the votes like 60.

Nonetheless, you won't be seeing integration into the code on github until much later of July because I still have to nationalize all of the events(if you see me on dota 2, tell me to get back to working instead)

I'm integrating the events that I consider are the most reliable and balanced. The barbarian event will always appear because those are always a give-or-take of society (ancient-classical: militia rise to fight against barbarian or let barbarian sack your city, medieval-renaissance: either socially reform or have peasants rising against your nobles, and industrial+: pay gold to pay off labor union, use your ideological powers to put them down or fight against the worker's union.

That one now requires a national population of 150, so it promotes going wide where you can't focus your GP progress by rewarding you with a GP early on whereas tall can still focus on GP progress and get a free GP later on.

I've already addressed all of the resistance problems in the Community Events as they will no longer scale with gamespeed(if they did, these things were rather inconsistent) and be applied via Lua. The game will initiate a resistance/loyalist system where a city has 50%(by default unless otherwise) chance to fall under resistance. This heavily promotes wide and discourages tall empires which was a good thing in the first place as these kind of event effects basically devastated wide empires.

ashendashin likes this.
  7. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

OMG You play DotA 2!? I've got over 15k hours in DotA 1 and 2! Who're you rooting for in TI7? (NP Fan here, EG is 2nd. USA USA USA)

Also thanks for the awesome work!

8. Moi Magnus

Moi Magnus Warlord

Most events especially those that trigger rarely, are quite good. But those that trigger every games, possibly multiple time during the same game are no longer entertaining, and you can feel that they are not always correctly balanced (for example, the event allowing to build a harbor on a coastal city is almost OP for this choice, but the other choices are crap)

HalfEmptyMug likes this.
  9. Aldebaran1997

Aldebaran1997 Chieftain

He already revealed his evil inherent nature of DotA 2 when Coup de Grace was added to France.

10. hokath

hokath Chieftain

*smoke, rumbling, fireworks*
    I HAVE RETURNED!
    Sorry, it seems to have been 10 months since my last [Strikethrough]confession[/Strikethrough] post!

What are you up to? Can I help?

ashendashin and Aldebaran1997 like this.
  11. vyyt

vyyt Chieftain

With the high frequency of the VP updates, it won't help you much, but you can delete the Events folders in the Modules (or whatever the folder is called) under both (1) CP and (2) CBO. This way the events won't be active even if you forget to disable them in the setup. Of course the obvious problem is that you have to delete the every time you update VP.

12. Enginseer

Enginseer Salientia of the Community Patch Supporter

Surprised to see you again, old friend. I began to nationalize the Civilization Events where they undergo major balance rework and changes. You can probably begin in the ideological events where every ideological tenet unlocks their specific City Event.

I miss Na'Vi.

Aldebaran1997 likes this.
  13. Gazebo

It was a joke. The core events are there as teaching tools.

G

14. a1nosweat

a1nosweat Chieftain

I've played for so long without realising this!

How about integrating into the next beta, and working to remove the placeholders and toward balance.

Currently (without Enginseers Events) It feels like unhappiness events cause more unhappiness, which, with the 'obvious answer' events can make this system less fun.

15. Funak

Funak Chieftain

Honestly, the events are on steam and steam auto-updates them, I really don't see a reason to mash more independent stuff into the base mod.

16. ElliotS

ElliotS Warmonger

I've made two good arguments that seem to outweigh the minor negatives TO YOU literally as the 5th post in the thread. (Which were both in the opening post, but apparently were ignored.)

You can't just keep ignoring the points I made and saying the same thing over and over. Well you can, but people clearly disagree and aren't swayed by your argument.

I understand not wanted to bloat the project unnecessarily, but I think that this is an exception where merging makes sense for the casuals and multiplayer players. People seem to agree with me too.

Txurce likes this.
  17. a1nosweat

a1nosweat Chieftain

One way or another, the base mod events are not great. Everything else in the base mod is. surely the options will be to either take out the events altogether, and add the others to a base mod, updating through steam...Or to change the events system which is included.

18. Funak

Funak Chieftain

1. I have no idea why this events-map being included in the install would change modpacks at all, but if that's the only real problem there has to be a way around it.

2. This is a completely terrible argument. As I said, they're available on steam and they've got a big line in the install-thread on this forum, and people who neither visits steam or this forum probably don't care for mods at all.
    Second, it's a really weird argument to try and champion people who don't visit the forum by making a thread on the forum and adding a poll.

And there are no minor negatives to me, I use the events mod that I downloaded from steam, this literally does not affect me at all. Adding every mod you think is good to the project however is a big deal, because next time this argument comes up someone is going to point to this thread and say "But if that was added, this should be added" and there is no counter argument for that.

For example, other mods that are imho more key to enjoying the game than extra events are.

Flag Promotions - you pretty much can't deal with the barb random-promotions without it.
    Terrain Texture Enhancement 2k - the game looks like crap without it.
    Calypso's Colored Religious Icons - Religion looks like crap without it.
    Redesigned Colors and Civ Icons - Colours are weak and confusing without it.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2017
  19. Gamewizard

Gamewizard Chieftain

I think the addition of the mod would greatly improve the vanilla "Just download the installer and play" experience, where one would just want to play a standard options game and events are active.

I voted yes. Already a happy subscriber.

ElliotS likes this.
  20. a1nosweat

a1nosweat Chieftain

there is a counter-argument "that was added because of x, which does not apply in this case." Thanks for the recommended mods. I'd not seen these before. I shall add them asap, and would have no problems with these being downloaded with 'full' VP (the exception possibly being the texture pack, as that would maybe make the download too large), and being mods 8-12 on the list . I had only seen enginseers events through this thread - but I had taken some away time from civ.

Point is - G has stated that the events system on VP has placeholders to teach people how to write events. Surely if anybody writes an interesting, balanced event, then there should be a chance that it would be tested in a beta, with a view to replacing any no-brainer events in a complete version.