Poll-- Does the patch work for you?

Was installing the patch good for you?

• Yes, I have better performance

Votes: 125 41.0%
  • Yes, no change in performance but I have the new features now

Votes: 123 40.3%
  • No, worse performance

Votes: 45 14.8%
  • No, I couldn't run the game at all and had to reinstall!

Votes: 12 3.9%

• Total voters
Got the patch running, and it solved my food-only yield bug, along with other smaller issues (all associated to GeForce4 cards).

Yes, it works like a charm now as I emerge from the technical difficulties before the patch

the patch does appear to be improving the gameplay, although it is important to note that there are still features (intro movie, multiplayer lobby) that the patch has not fixed for me.

I downloaded the patch (took me ten times at 3:00 A.M. [it is ok I am an insomniac]) and it has so far (knock on wood) worked great. I now can watch the wonder movies and winning videos perfectly:). I don't have to wait at all for my turn and new games or loaded games take a second to play. I hit yes it is better (plus the two-headed horses are funny:)).

niffweed17 said:
the patch does appear to be improving the gameplay, although it is important to note that there are still features (intro movie, multiplayer lobby) that the patch has not fixed for me.

that's right.

Before the patch ALL of the movies worked just flawlessly for me, and in reality I had no problems with the game at all.

After the patch, the Religion Founding, Introduction, and End Game movies all work fine, but the Wonder Movies are 100% messed up. They run like a slideshow and the audio is just a garbled mess. Aside from the destruction of the movies, everything else is fine.

Worked pretty well before, now won't even load a map.

I've found that the patch has improved performance. Late turns take a lot less time than they used to before I installed the patch, and when I quit the game, it takes a lot less time for my PC to get back to 'normal' - it used to churn for a while until I could get into email or on to the Internet.

I've played 2 'quick' games on a standard-sized map since I installed the patch, with a few 'saves' of the games along the way during the prep work for Thanksgiving dinner.

Ok, installed and everything works great. Toyed with the graphic settings some and am down at Medium now. I think part of my problem before might have been that I had everything at High.

Wodan

Civ4 already ran good on my PC. Never had any crashes and I have played it for at least 150 hours now.
But loading times, especially in the later game, were very long. I could go and get me a drink and when I got back it was just about finishing loading. That has changed dramatically with the new patch. Now it is way faster, at least triple as fast.

update:

I clicked past the error message, and the patch installed, and the game works fine. (or as well as it did before). I havent noticed a big difference, im still stuck on not being able to scroll like i want to.

nattivillin said:
update:

I clicked past the error message, and the patch installed, and the game works fine. (or as well as it did before). I havent noticed a big difference, im still stuck on not being able to scroll like i want to.

What do you mean you cant scroll like you want to? You mean you cant scroll at all or you cant scroll really fast and smooth?

=DOCTOR= said:
It's funny - from reading the 1.09 patch announcement threads and the content of the feedback threads, one would imagine the patch isn't an improvement. It's only when one actually sees a poll where even the happy people might consider a quick "yes" vote that we actually see a truer reflection on things.
Well... I was one of the complainers since I couldn't get it to install. Once I did, thanks to Roland's suggestion, everything was fine. In the poll I hesitated between the first two options. I think it may be better. I have the impression that the graphics are somewhat smoother but then I had few complaints before the patch either.

The patch has shown a slight improvement for me here, most notably a speeding up of loading saved games (2 minutes instead of 5 before you can start to DO anything), No change in general performance though, it's still a bit laggy for the first 10 turns or so after which it generally gets past the "bottleneck", whatever it is, and flies. I'm generally quite satisfied that the patch is OK.

I answered the poll with--got features, no improved performance, and was reasonably happy, although my tired old computer could have used a late game performance boost. Then I decided to clear the game cache on startup and game loading and performance improved dramatically (after taking forever for the first save game load after clearing the cache). I don't know if the patch or the cache clearing improved the performance, but it now loads, runs and saves far faster than ever before.

After patch 1.09, all you have to do is hold down the Shift key just after you click on the desktop icon, then release the shift key when the loading graphics first show up on the center of your computer screen (i.e. first thing you see post-click, release the shift key). Don't know if this works on a pre-patch version.

Top Bottom