1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poll. Is curse word censoring really necessary?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback' started by warhead66, Feb 7, 2008.

?

Is curse word censorship necessary?

1. yes.

48 vote(s)
    47.1%
  2. no.

54 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. The Yankee

The Yankee The New Yawker Retired Moderator

Look, if even I can control myself on here (I must be a typical New Yawker in that sense), I don't see any reason why the far majority of us cannot. And so that we don't encourage a disintegration into a curse-filled free-for-all, we have the filter in place. No big deal.

2. North King

North King blech

Well, you actually answered most of your own question:

I don't think anyone would really object to the use of bloody as a descriptor for, say, battles. It's the context that's important. The same thing applies to damn and hell: no one minds if you say, "sinners, in the traditional Christian doctrines, are damned to hell", but "damn it all to hell" would be considered blasphemous and moderately offensive.

In any case, there's really no need for curses to express oneself. As for a positive argument for censoring them: it tones down a flame war a lot automatically, so a moderator does not have to manually edit out the insults (in theory, though of course people can bypass).

3. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

4. LucyDuke

LucyDuke staring at the clock

This isn't public discussion of specific moderator actions, it's public discussion of the existence of moderation.

5. ummmm........

ummmm........ Extremely normal.

I really like the new way with the ellipses over the old way with the asterisks, if we're voting . . .

6. aaglo

aaglo Furioso!

Yes, it's necessary. I've seen sites without censoring, and it does not look pretty - the swearing gets out of hand, and it really does not look that nice. English and swearing don't look good together - unlike Finnish and swearing ;)

Plus, nothing sends a wrong message like a foul word in a wrong place

7. WerBackIII

WerBackIII Jar of the Rotting Brain

Is cursing from the Sam&max type prohibited?

8. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

One of the reasons I like the CFC forums is precisely because there are no curse words. Nothing irritates me like the rant full of curse words that was impulse-typed by an angry teen who had a bad RNG roll.
    Not being able to use curse words forces you to think about what you're typing, which is a good thing.
    I'm not for curse word censorship everywhere, mind you. I belong to some forums where it's enabled and it makes sense - one of them is a family forum :lol:
    But as soon as a forum reaches a certain amount of users, I believe curse word censorship becomes necessary to avoid chaos and anarchy. How many times have I wanted to write some very bad things about a specific post/user, only to control myself because I couldn't, and wrote a nice detailed and argumented reply instead? ;)

That being said, the real debate to me is, should we censor the curse word per se, or the curse intent?
    If I were to write "frack you, motherfracker" as a reply to someone's post, it would be in my eyes a lot worse that if I were to say "I don't know s-h-i-t about how corporations work in Beyond the Sword.", without the -. Yet obviously I can write the first one freely (I might have a can of moderator action opened on me though :lol:), but the second one would be censored.

9. .Shane.

.Shane. Take it like a voter Retired Moderator

A curse filter makes the sites safer for at-work browsing which I'd wager 99% of those who work from a computer do.

That said, I think a few words are censored that would probably be OK, but that's a minor niggle. So, I voted "yes".

10. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

That's a very good point that I totally forgot. :goodjob:

11. Hitro

Hitro Feistus Raclettus

12. Tee Kay

Tee Kay Justice guaranteed

Sorry. nvm. 10 char.

13. bd41094

bd41094 Prince

I didn't even know there was an auto-censor...guess I just don't use those words or ever see things censored :). That can say something for our community, its usually pretty friendly and peaceful. The only place that we diffidently need the censor is in the OT forum. I think we should keep it just so that one immature 13 year old doesn't go spamming cuss words all over the place (not saying all 13 year olds are immature...I happen to be one ;) ).

14. ggganz

ggganz a.k.a. The Scyphozoa

Hey, I'm an immature 13 year old! (I usually don't swear. Usually.)

15. zxcvbnm

zxcvbnm The Nobody

This is from a RPG, an as far as I've understood it would be against the rules, yet in this context it is almost inevitable in that forum game and without it some of the atmosphere, the feeling of being there etc would be lost.

actually why is "@#*%&" against those rules?

16. warhead66

warhead66 Warlord

good for you.. :rolleyes:

17. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

18. Sir_Lancelot

Sir_Lancelot Emperor

Yes it is Americanized. The Civilization games were meant for the whole world, hopefully this board is meant to serve all of the Civ community. Perhaps it will slowly develop further and let itself be a little bit more internationalized with regard to policy.

I voted No and I agree with you.
    The key is "when properly used". Many people don't understand what that means. Some think proper use of curse words is the same as one filthy word in every second sentence. Some think that curse words can never be used properly. There must be a middle ground and I believe in that.

It is true that it can enrich the language, but I have never heard swearing in English that enriches the language. The English language have so few swear words, it gets annoying too quickly. No fantasy. Some people over here are also like that; the same few swear words over and over again. I detest it. What enriches the language, is when someone use rare words, or make up totally new swear words. That is enriching and sometimes it can be quite amusing.

Obviously, if posting *** or other symbols violates the rules, then the autocencor is practically rendered useless!
    This particular part of the rules (quoted above) is an insult to intelligence. Them who made it up thinks of the members as a mass uncapable of thinking? Want to find out how far we can be pushed without protests?

The last place you will find swearing, is in cartoons like Donald Duck and other Walt Disney productions. As far as I know, they are suitable for kids that can read, and even younger. I'm old now so I don't exactly remember, but I believe it was Walt Disney's cartoons that introduced @#%... to me.
    Maybe Donald swore, or maybe he said something else, we don't know. We don't need to know either, we just need to understand that he was furious, and that's what #@ means. It's not a word. It replaces an unknown word, and if the reader wants to fill in a terrible word, then it's the reader's own problem.
    I can't believe it's necessary to explain such basic things to an adult group of leaders.

Many people needs to start practicing critical, independent thinking. It's a gift once mastered.
    I am a cautious optimist and believe that evolution will sort this out some day.

Ainwood (and others) are of course right about; If you cannot post without swearing, then you should not post anyway.

For some people, me included, "hell" and "Satan" is by far the absolutely worst words to say. Still, I do not consider proper use of these words as swearing. Examples of proper use is in a discussion like this, or in theology. An example of abuse (swearing) of these words would be if I said it for no good reason.
    I don't know alot of "American" swear words, but I do understand that the so called F-bomb is the most feared of them. This word was adopted in other languages - for instance all the Scandinavian languages - ages ago (like many other English words), and are hardly treated as a particular rude word.
    But I do respect you people on the other side, and I would not use such a word in normal talk.

There isn't anything wrong with any words themselves -- just how some people use them. ;)

Work-safe? Minors should not labour in the first place.

19. ainwood

ainwood Consultant. Administrator

No, peoples' excuse that "I didn't post a swear word, I just posted the symbols" is rendered moot.

Yes - its an insult to the intelligence of the moderators that people think they can argue their way out of an infraction after posting such things as "**** you" because 'it was only symbols'. This rule evolved because we got sick & tired of people claiming this.

And pushing us? We used to give people some leeway on this, and the behavior was appaling. For a week or so, we had to resort to instant 24-hour bans for language - not a great solution, but it was the only real way that we could set and get people to meet the expectations. I certainly don't want to have to do that again!

However, I do give leeway. I (and most other mods) will just edit / delete language, with a reminder of the rules. I don't generally infract for language unless its specific and repeated.

This is an extension of the rule (as explained above) where we make no differentiation between people posting a swear word and posting the autocensor symbols. As said (and quoted in agreement by you) - if you can't post without swearing, then don't post.

I can't believe that an optimist who considers themselves a master of critical independent thinking wouldn't realise that there are two perspectives to every issue, and that on a site run as long and as successfully as this that perhaps, just perhaps, the rules had evolved over a period of time to meet changing circumstances, and that there is a valid reason for them.

20. Masquerouge

Masquerouge Deity

I think university professors have been fired for using the word "niggle".
    ;)