[POLL] More Wonders for VP

What exclusive Enlightenment Era World Wonders you would like to see added in this mod (max. 3)

• Wat Pho (Thailand) (around1688) tied to Economics

• Buckingam Palace (England) (1703) tied to Navigation

• Paro Taktsang (Bhutan) (1692) tied to EE-Flintlock

• Bell Rock Lighthouse (Scotland) (1810) tied to EE-Wargames

• Yellowstone National Park (USA) (1872) tied to EE-Wargames

• Arc de Triomphe (France) (around 1830) tied to EE-Wargames

• Bastille (France) (from XIV to late XVIII) (but as a prison) tied to EE-Fortifications

• Taman Sari (Indonesia) (1765) tied to EE-Fortifications

• Stone Town (Tanzania) (1830-1840) tied to EE-Fortifications

• Bolshoi Theater (Russia) (1776/1825/1856) tied to EE-Romanticism

• other (suggest in the thread, please)

• Canal du Midi (France) (1681) tied to Navigation

• Fontanna di Trevi (Italy) (1776) tied to Economics

• Modlin Fortress (Poland) (1806) tied to EE-Fortifications

Results are only viewable after voting.
@Deljade I'm curious, did you play with Era Restrictions? Still waiting for your thoughts :p

@Deljade I'm curious, did you play with Era Restrictions? Still waiting for your thoughts :p
No :(
I was slow at completing games before and been having even less time this autumn so I just did a couple of playthroughs on the newest patch thus far. I'll eventually get to it though, want to try in a Huge map game with more civs than I usually add

No :(
I was slow at completing games before and been having even less time this autumn so I just did a couple of playthroughs on the newest patch thus far. I'll eventually get to it though, want to try in a Huge map game with more civs than I usually add
No problem.

If this unique improvement is in addition to camp and pasture, in other words if all three improvements are possible to build, I wouldn't bother with adding this improvement to the list (I didn't add any of unique improvements to not to overpower some civ, making easier to build one or other wonder fot them).

Yes, This improvement is in addition to camp and pasture because you cannot build two adjacent ones. The problem is that a human player will voluntarily choose to make a camp rather than a Kan to access the wonder while the AI doesn't, the goal was rather to put the AI at the same level as the human.
But I'm not sure this civ proposal is played, I'm trying to rebalance it because it was completely overpowered at the end of the game.

If this improvement substitues both improvements, then it would be necessary compatibility patch with table you created and some lua function.
It would be a good idea but I absolutely don't have the skills to do this :blush:.

Sorry to say, but I cannot reproduce this bug. I loaded few huge maps to see as many wonders as possible and all terrain around was generated correctly. Try to compile the mod once more and check if the problem persists.
No problem, I only play with the communitas that I changed slightly (only the latitude values for the different biomes) but so I can't swear the error is not mine.
I will try other maps to see.

Did you check other similar conversions?
I confirm that it doesn't work on :c5culture: Culture, nor on :c5goldenage: Golden Age Points.

Spoiler Culture by conversion :
upload_2020-11-12_19-34-3.png

It shows up in the tooltip, but is not actually addeed to the sum: 8+8+6+14+2=38, yet only 36 is shown at the bottom. I've confirmed that it works for food/production/gold/science, at least.

If this is a DLL issue, I'll have to leave the reporting to someone else with a github account.

Yeah it's dll. Table is formatted correctly. I rechecked that.

It could be missed by VP devs because they didn't use culture as an output. Make github issue on VP and hoe they will fix this.

Hello! Thank you for your work on this mod.

Here are some adjustment suggestions (for wonders up to medieval):

Spoiler :

NEOLITHIC

Goebekli Tepe: working mountains for +1s/+1f only is worthless. I suggest +1f for every mountain within the city's borders (capping at city population).

Mohenjo-daro: two problems. 1. The free Well is counterproductive for a river city (it blocks the Water Mill); 2. the requirement of desert river city makes the +1food/river tile almost dangerous! You're likely to have lots of flood plains in range, and too much food will cause unhappiness.

Because Petra and Karnak already boost desert tiles, I suggest removing the food/tile and the flat +1food, and giving a free Water Mill.

Kuk: currently possible to build on jungle alone. This should not be allowed, as it does not boost jungles. However, it should not require jungle either (marsh starts are rare enough already).

Skara Brae: need non-food/production yields to be useful early imo. Replace flat +1food with +1culture (you already get +1food on basic resources anyway).

ANCIENT

Stonehenge: I suggest allowing for coast. On higher difficulties, Stonehenge is a crucial wonder for founding a religion with non-naturally-religious civs; blocking coastal bias civs from doing so kinda sucks.

Temple of Artemis: I suggest allowing for camp OR plantation. Why? Jungle starts benefit as much from this wonder as forest starts, yet may not have deer or other camps in range. Plus, it’s on Calendar!

CLASSICAL

Gate of the Sun: same problem as Goebekli -- +1culture is not worth working mountains for.

1st suggestion: since Masonry is at the bottom of the tech tree (on the “military” path) and requires mountains (mountain cities often have a defensive purpose), the following alternative could be interesting: +1city defense/mountain within 3 tiles. It also fits with the Wall boost. Though I recognize it’s not very historically thematic.

2nd suggestion: +1culture/mountain within 3 tiles.

3rd suggestion: remove the mountain bonus; add +1 Great Scientist point. Fits the science theme, and the probable historical purpose.

MEDIEVAL

Forge of Damascus: free Forge is too late. Could remove it and bump the flat production and science from +2/+2 to +3/+3, or the Great Scientist points to +2. Difficult to balance, because the promotion is so good.

Wartburg: +15exp/GW is too much; 10 would be plenty.

Krak des Chevaliers: too strong and a bit “all over the place” imo. Firstly, 35 defense (30 flat + 5 for being an inland city) is A LOT at this point in the game. The food yields (+1 flat and +10% kept on growth) seem misplaced, and the +1 faith for this city is cumbersome (the more different yields the description contains, the more difficult it is for players to evaluate the wonder in a pinch). Also, +1 supply limit per inland city is too much.

My suggestions: 15 defense (so 20 in total); free Great General; +20% production mounted/siege in city; +1faith and +5 defense in all inland cities. Maybe keep the +1GG point too.

Golden Dagon Pagoda: why the free Archaeologist? It’ll just sit in your capital until antiquity sites are revealed – two eras later! Give an additional Great Artist point instead.

Thank you for heavy balance feedback. Long time since last one I got from anyone. Unfortunately I must disagree with some of your statements.

Goebekli Tepe: working mountains for +1s/+1f only is worthless. I suggest +1f for every mountain within the city's borders (capping at city population).
Look at Gate of Sun response. Already solved.
Mohenjo-daro: two problems. 1. The free Well is counterproductive for a river city (it blocks the Water Mill); 2. the requirement of desert river city makes the +1food/river tile almost dangerous! You're likely to have lots of flood plains in range, and too much food will cause unhappiness.
Why :c5food: causes :c5unhappy:? Because of uncontrolled growth?
That was the idea. Well may be counterproductive but is free, and compensated by this :c5food: on River. It was :c5culture: initially, so look how OP it was before. Beside that Well and Water Mill give almost the same bonuses ( :c5food:,:c5production: and :c5production:/:c5citizen:). The only difference is that Water Mill comes later and is slightly more powerful. But as I said, it is compensated by this powerful :c5food: boost.
Because Petra and Karnak already boost desert tiles, I suggest removing the food/tile and the flat +1food, and giving a free Water Mill.
I don't modify base WWs, so Petra shouldn't be touched. There's no :c5food:/tile on Karnak, only flat :c5food:. Giving it Water Mill, very late and powerful classical era building would be too much.
Kuk: currently possible to build on jungle alone. This should not be allowed, as it does not boost jungles. However, it should not require jungle either (marsh starts are rare enough already).
Strange because when I hit some test games to check some new stuff, Kuk is the most frequent wonder I get on city list.
Skara Brae: need non-food/production yields to be useful early imo. Replace flat +1food with +1culture (you already get +1food on basic resources anyway).
I disagree. There's enough :c5culture: in other wonders, even too much imo. This wonder was planned to be "different" and give powerful boost becoming amazing later on. Those flat yields are just an irrelevant and simple "addon".
Stonehenge: I suggest allowing for coast. On higher difficulties, Stonehenge is a crucial wonder for founding a religion with non-naturally-religious civs; blocking coastal bias civs from doing so kinda sucks.
With Stonehenge there's a major problem - how to differentiate it from Pyramids. I added "no Coast" requirement to avoid often building them both in a starting city. It's about 4th iteration for this wonder.

And other thing is that Stonehenge is now not the only early religious wonder in the pack. Now you can also boost your religion with Ggantija, Goebekli Tepe, Majorville or Nazca as well. That's a huge variety.
Temple of Artemis: I suggest allowing for camp OR plantation. Why? Jungle starts benefit as much from this wonder as forest starts, yet may not have deer or other camps in range. Plus, it’s on Calendar!
Agreed. Plantation added as an optional requirement.
Gate of the Sun: same problem as Goebekli -- +1culture is not worth working mountains for.

1st suggestion: since Masonry is at the bottom of the tech tree (on the “military” path) and requires mountains (mountain cities often have a defensive purpose), the following alternative could be interesting: +1city defense/mountain within 3 tiles. It also fits with the Wall boost. Though I recognize it’s not very historically thematic.
2nd suggestion: +1culture/mountain within 3 tiles.

3rd suggestion: remove the mountain bonus; add +1 Great Scientist point. Fits the science theme, and the probable historical purpose.
On github there's new build which does not need Mountains to be worked to get the bonuses. Yields are added automatically after claiming tiles like for Machu Picchu. 2nd option is already applied.
Forge of Damascus: free Forge is too late. Could remove it and bump the flat production and science from +2/+2 to +3/+3, or the Great Scientist points to +2. Difficult to balance, because the promotion is so good.
Agreed. Forge idea was original one I saved. I missed it is so late. Increased yields and GSciP instead of free Forge.
Wartburg: +15exp/GW is too much; 10 would be plenty.
Agreed. Lowered to 10XP per :greatwork:.
Krak des Chevaliers: too strong and a bit “all over the place” imo. Firstly, 35 defense (30 flat + 5 for being an inland city) is A LOT at this point in the game. The food yields (+1 flat and +10% kept on growth) seem misplaced, and the +1 faith for this city is cumbersome (the more different yields the description contains, the more difficult it is for players to evaluate the wonder in a pinch). Also, +1 supply limit per inland city is too much.

My suggestions: 15 defense (so 20 in total); free Great General; +20% production mounted/siege in city; +1faith and +5 defense in all inland cities. Maybe keep the +1GG point too.
It gets only 30:c5strength: (not 35:c5strength:). +5:c5strength: is applied to any other inland city. Food bonus might look like displaced, but I've added it because it had granaries prepared for long siege. I will lower defense to 20:c5strength: total, cut the :c5food: carry bonus, increase the base :c5food: from 1:c5food: to 2:c5food:. I will not cut the Supply bonus, because it is very thematic for this wonder. If it gives +5-+7:c5war:, then it is not much. Remember that coastal cities do not count towards this bonus. It gets huge nerf even without this.
Golden Dagon Pagoda: why the free Archaeologist? It’ll just sit in your capital until antiquity sites are revealed – two eras later! Give an additional Great Artist point instead.
This topic was mentioned earlier by someone else. The reason I gave it Archaeologist is the deep need of Artifacts to fill the slots and get maximum theming bonus. This, even if delayed, gives much advantage in that matter. I will give that additional GArtP anyways to make it stronger earlier. But Archaeologist must stay imo.

Last edited:
This topic was mentioned earlier by someone else. The reason I gave it Archaeologist is the deep need of Artifacts to fill the slots and get maximum theming bonus. This, even if delayed, gives much advantage in that matter. I will give that additional GArtP anyways to make it stronger earlier. But Archaeologist must stay imo.
Since the wonder comes too early, but you still want it to boost archeoogists, maybe it could give a promotion to archeologists instead?
Maybe make them faster, or ignore terrain costs, or increase their improvement speed, so they dig up ruins quicker?

Since the wonder comes too early, but you still want it to boost archeoogists, maybe it could give a promotion to archeologists instead?
Maybe make them faster, or ignore terrain costs, or increase their improvement speed, so they dig up ruins quicker?
Might be a nice unique buff to Archaeologists that do not have one, right?

Might be a nice unique buff to Archaeologists that do not have one, right?

Why not : Can collect artefacts in civilization without open borders if it shares the same religion ?

Golden Dagon Pagoda wil have promotion instead of free Archaeologist:
  • all Archaeologists: "+20% Work Rate. Unit can enter rival territory without Open Borders." (Hidden Artifacts);

@adan_eslavo

Mohenjo-Daro: I know that Petra and Karnak don't buff food yields -- my point was that they boost desert tiles periods, which makes three desert-boosting wonders in the ancient era alone. And giving Water Mill while removing the food per tile seems like a nerf actually :lol: But I understand your point.

Kuk: It's definitely the most built wonder... precisely because it allows of jungle without marsh! My point was that the requirement should be marsh only, not jungle only or jungle + marsh (because jungle+marsh starts are quite rare).

Jeez, it should be Jungle + Marsh since the beginning, but I used standard function checking Or instead of And :p

Bad news!

My computer has cooling failure so I sent it to service. Because of Covid-19 they have tons of computers to fix, so I'm out of programming for at least 3 weeks, maybe more.

If you have another ideas or suggestions, still post them. I will read those posts - with lower frequency than earlier probably, and later when my unit will be back, I will try to post some beta asap.

Last edited:
Top Bottom