Poll on Firaxis.com

UnspokenRequest said:
Weird. One of the civ we can recommend is the Incans. Am I crazy or are they already in the game?
Yeah, it is already in. I sent them an email about it.

Answers to poll:
Civ: Canadian
Units: more seige
Specifically the Trebuchet (sp?)
One Addition: adding a Baby boom, golden age for growth

The Great Apple said:
They won't accept my email address either. Maybe it has something to do with being my browser (firefox)?

I think the email address has to be Lower Case <sigh>

I suggested adding a very early way to merge civilizations, akin to marrying off kids, as a way to merge undeveloped civs that start close together. The merged civs would all become the human's (as opposed to retaining their identity under permanent alliances) but it would only be possible if the merged civ would have less than 5 cities.

The question where they asked what 1 unit you'd like in the game I put in CRUISE MISSLE... most useful unit in civ3 imo (that and if they add it then it will give us modders a model for creating more balistic weapons, Tactical nuke and such)

For what I though they needed to change (rules/gameplay wise) I asked them if they could take another look at Naval combat... atm naval units are more for looks then real tactical edge. Specially since they don't interact with land combat in pretty much any way exept carrying units/fighters and reducing city defences.

My idea was to make differences between religion, so not everyone will go for hinduism or buddhism at the start. For example +10% great people birth rate and +10% extra war weariness when christianity is in a city, or +10% food and - 10% health with hinduism in a city.

I guess it would be a touchy subject to make this happen, but personally I do think it would improve the gameplay.

Why not be able to vote for Adolph Hitler while Joseph Stalin is selectable? Neither one of these is more politically correct than the other.

I asked them to allow new Civs to split away from old ones by various means:
- using a spy to cause a revolt and split a city away, forming a new civ
- city/cities split due to excessive maintenence or unrest (like America splitting from Britain)
- small possibility during periods of anarchy for very large empires (think Rome or USSR collapsing)

I think this is one feature that the modders would go crazy for! Since a lot of civvers like to play games where America doesn't exist in 4000 BC, or Rome doesn't exist in 2000 AD, this would giv modders a chance to really show the rise and fall of empires, and how the whole scape of civilization in the world can change over history.

Thunderfall said:
{Incans - }Yeah, it is already in. I sent them an email about it.

Maybe they meant Israel, which was conspicuously absent under any name (Hebrews, Jews, Judah...)

I kind of understand it, but I think that they are wrong to be so politically sensitive... It's a game and the Mongols were not exactly regarded with affection by ANY of their neighbours !

I would be perfectly happy for them to include Arabs, Palestinians, Moors or some other characterisation for the Moslem hordes that built a civilization from Spain to India. While the Jews have never built a civilization of that scale, they have contributed to the civilization of many other peoples and I think it is reasonable for a 3-4,000 year old 'civilization' to be included alongside the Aztecs etc.

I'm willing to bet about 99% of those that have voted chose Babylonia as a civ they'd like to see down the road. I'd put money on that. Any takers? :D

I asked for every civ to have more than one leader, paratroopers, and improve naval gameplay.

I voted for the babylonians, indeed, as it used to be my fav civilization in civ 3.

I had three things I wanted changed/added.... and had 2 friends of mine send in the other two...

the first was to indeed make it possible for a civ to split away from another civ when certain things happen. Like in civ 2 when you took their capitol. Or through spying.

The second was that they should make religions more a part of the game... There should be a reason you pick a certain religion as your state religion... right now it doesn't matter....just go for the first one you can get just to have a religion.

The third was for a feature I really loved in SMAC... and that was the possibility for another civ to surrender. It wouldn't make them part of your empire, but they would basically do whatever you told them....

A BETTER MAP EDITOR! the world builder is probably the worst part of Civ4, imo. They should release one more like civ3 in the next patch/expantion.

OR, a programm that facilitate the XML editing for civ4, with am easier interface, like the one in CIV 3.

EDITL I'de love to see Lenin and the Numidians!

Kolyana said:
Well personally, it would be nice if they concentrated on things that can't be modded. I mean, they've purposefully created a game that has huge modding capability and at the forefront of that we have the ability to add new civs right here and now.

This being the case, why would I want *THEM* to add new civilizations and charge for it when i can download the work of a fan from here???

Much better for Firaxis to concentrate on things we - the fanbase - can't do.

I see what you mean, but I get the feeling from your post that you heavily emphasize solo play, and this game is really equally for mulitplayer, and any unofficial modifications are ruled out for use in multiplayer.

If someone mods in a civ with a custom UU, who but Firaxis is in a position to make a ruling on the legitimacy of that unit? Certain leader trait combos seem left out of the game on purpose; is it ok to mod those in?

Even for solo play, my own opinion is that using any mod which the AI will not able to make equal use of (and my guess is that the AI isn't programmed to 'think' well enough to make creative use of player mods), invalidates your win and score for the purposes of comparison.

As much as I'd like to see some features from past games of Civ, it's unlikely that I will ever mod anything except GUI features for these reasons. I'd rather have the stuff handed down in official patches that make it certified for multiplayer and that legitimize solo efforts.

My answers:
Civs: civs from Civ3 like Babylonians, Carthage, Vikings
Units: Modern day units of all sorts
Specific unit: Paratrooper
Suggestion: Return artillery to Civ3-style or something not so suicidal as it is in Civ4.

Kolyana said:
This being the case, why would I want *THEM* to add new civilizations and charge for it when i can download the work of a fan from here???

Because fans always go crazy with stuff that's just too far out there, overpowered and not really fun for those of us who want to play a balanced game. Plus modders don't have play testers on thier payroll, to tell the mod-designer he's on crack when he goes overboard.

I'd rather buy an official expansion, thanks.

Bring back "Blah-blah Civ is in civil war triggered by the fall of their capital"!!!

Weasel Op said:
I asked for official stand-alone editors and a nif plugin :D
Me too!

Also asked for a trebuchet to stand between the cannon and catapult. I've always found that gap a bit big.

Oggums said:
Because fans always go crazy with stuff that's just too far out there, overpowered and not really fun for those of us who want to play a balanced game. Plus modders don't have play testers on thier payroll, to tell the mod-designer he's on crack when he goes overboard.

I'd rather buy an official expansion, thanks.

I disagree. Civ modders are often quite restrained with balance. Also, usually the AI will be smart enough to work out that something is overpowered (unless it is a new weird and wacky type of thing), and use it itself!

Yzen Danek said:
I see what you mean, but I get the feeling from your post that you heavily emphasize solo play, and this game is really equally for mulitplayer, and any unofficial modifications are ruled out for use in multiplayer.

If someone mods in a civ with a custom UU, who but Firaxis is in a position to make a ruling on the legitimacy of that unit? Certain leader trait combos seem left out of the game on purpose; is it ok to mod those in?

Even for solo play, my own opinion is that using any mod which the AI will not able to make equal use of (and my guess is that the AI isn't programmed to 'think' well enough to make creative use of player mods), invalidates your win and score for the purposes of comparison.

As much as I'd like to see some features from past games of Civ, it's unlikely that I will ever mod anything except GUI features for these reasons. I'd rather have the stuff handed down in official patches that make it certified for multiplayer and that legitimize solo efforts.

What ppl don't realize is that you can play modded games multiplayer as long as both sides have the same mod. I preferr multiplay over single player any day of the week and my Mod reflects it.

Its true we don't have a payed tester to kick us in the butt if we go oveboard but thats what the general community is for :p

As for if its ok to mod combos and new UUs in that the developers left out... why wouldn't it be? If they didn't want those changed why would they purposly go through the trouble of making those aspects of the game Modable? Maybe I don't understand your logic but wasn't one of the sales pitches on the box the fact that the game is highly moddable and modding it is encouraged?

EDIT: btw if you add new units and you do it properly the AI will make use of it... Submarines in my mod are just plain evil because of this. I made them more effective and the AI sees its bonuses and makes use of them too :p

I suggested to add the civilisation called al queda. Perhaps you have heard of Al Queda but if they do implement it, i think i will build more ICBMs... :evil:

They could also add defensive lines.

Top Bottom