Poll on Firaxis.com

I wanted a trebuchet for the new unit (we need medieval siege badly) and asked to slow down the game starting with gunpowder so that we can actually get into the groove of having new units before they're all obsolete ten turns later. Beyond that, I was kinda hoping they'd add the Vietnamese as a civ. Korea would be okay too, but Vietnam is certainly more unique. Also yep, I voted for Babylon. While I think Lenin would be a spiffy leader (and voted for him) I'd rather see existing civs get 2 leaders than some get 3 while others remain at 1.

The Great Apple said:
I disagree. Civ modders are often quite restrained with balance. Also, usually the AI will be smart enough to work out that something is overpowered (unless it is a new weird and wacky type of thing), and use it itself!

That's cool, you can play your mods and I'll buy the expansion. :goodjob:

Balance isn't the only reason. Normal strategy discussion just makes no sense to the rest of us, if you're running mods. If it's official, everyone is on the same page.

Trebuchets are a must for a seige unit in between catapults and cannons.

I asked for the ability to ask for an AI civ to make a trade agreement with another AI civ. I find myself wishing that I could get the AIs to be friendly with each other in some way. You can ask them to break trade agreements, so why not ask them to MAKE trade agreements. Or at the very least, ask them to be nicer to each other to facilitate alliances.

I also think there should be an unconditional surrender option where when you have the AI on the ropes with 2-3 cities left and it is obvious you will crush him, he can offer you an unconditional surrender and he becomes part of a permanent alliance for the rest of the game sharing techs and wonder effects like in team play.

How would you guys feel about trebuchets as a UU, as an upgrade/alternative to catapults?

Units: Trebuchet, Cruise Missile and Paratroopers!

I also really liked it in Civ II that Stealth Bombers could carry missiles! That would be nice to have back. AEGIS cruisers and subs carrying cruise missiles would also be nice.

Agree with Kolyana's point that they should focus on things that modders can't add

Seeing as how religion has been introduced as an important dimension to the game I would something similar done with ECONOMICS and MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS in the modern era. Bring back ECONOMIC VICTORY!! (I'm working on some ideas for this myself, look out for a new thread)

Don't think religions should have different strenghts/weaknesses as you can kind of choose what strengths it should have through your civic

As new units, I asked for air transport and for ancient cannon (to fill the gap most people are asking for the trebuchet to fill)

I voted for

- New civilizations (strongly)
- New leaders (strongly)
- New units (slight)

I think the current mix of units is pretty well balanced; they just need to add a few and tweak some of the existing ones

- Carthage
- Polynesia
- Vikings

- Egypt: Cleopatra
- Egypt: Ptolemy
- Egypt: Ramesses II
- England: Winston Churchill
- Rome: Marcus Aurelius

- Every pre-Modern naval checkbox
- Classical and Medieval siege
- Modern Artillery, Infantry, WMD's. More things that go BOOM! :D Remember the fungicidal missiles in SMAC? Nothing more fun that fungiciding your opponent, then laughing as you take his cities with your +3/4/4 fungus bonuses :crazyeye:

- Trebuchet

- A more rewarding Space Race victory. Currently it feels like the space race just "happens", it's not as exciting a finale as, say, the Ascent to Transcendence was.

Seeing as how religion has been introduced as an important dimension to the game I would something similar done with ECONOMICS and MULTINATIONAL CORPORATIONS in the modern era. Bring back ECONOMIC VICTORY!! (I'm working on some ideas for this myself, look out for a new thread)

IIRC, someone is already doing the corporation thing. Check out the C&C forum.

Exavier said:
What ppl don't realize is that you can play modded games multiplayer as long as both sides have the same mod. I preferr multiplay over single player any day of the week and my Mod reflects it.

Its true we don't have a payed tester to kick us in the butt if we go oveboard but thats what the general community is for :p

As for if its ok to mod combos and new UUs in that the developers left out... why wouldn't it be? If they didn't want those changed why would they purposly go through the trouble of making those aspects of the game Modable? Maybe I don't understand your logic but wasn't one of the sales pitches on the box the fact that the game is highly moddable and modding it is encouraged?

EDIT: btw if you add new units and you do it properly the AI will make use of it... Submarines in my mod are just plain evil because of this. I made them more effective and the AI sees its bonuses and makes use of them too :p

It's there for amusement, but it's not the official ruleset of Civ4.

You can play texas holdem with all jacks, aces and dueces wild when you play with your poker buddies at your house on Thursday night, but those games have no bearing on tournament play or your standings therein.

If you log onto the multiplayer server for an official, anonymous ladder game, the rulesets need to be identical.

I voted for a new Classical era mounted unit BESIDES the Horse Archer (especially for Western civilizations.) I dunno about anyone else, but I feel strange being Greece with a bunch of Horse Archers. Gimme some Equites or Companians!

For the new idea to impliment, I chose weather patterns. I don't believe this would be possible for modders to make (at least not until the SDK...) and I think it would add a great new dimension to the game. Imagine some parts of the world where it's snowing, and others where it is raining, all at the same time? And even better, imagine weather AFFECTING the gameplay itself! A storm at sea might have a chance of damaging ships that travel through it, while a snow storm on land may slow down tracked veichles...

My vote was for an offical map editor, I get so frustrated with the in-game one!
I also wanted Ramses II, he was the truelly great Egyptian pharoh, conquering all the way up through part of modern day Syria. New great leaders would also be neat, sometimes there really does'nt seem to be a difference between great engineer, great prophet etc...

I too asked for Civ 3 bombardment.
Unit: Nuclear sub. I wish we could pick 3 specific units.
General units, I went with Seige/Naval/Artillery.

EDIT: Oh yeah, and Honest Abe may be coming back! Also Teddy Roosevelt was a choice. :D

Yzen Danek said:
It's there for amusement, but it's not the official ruleset of Civ4.

You can play texas holdem with all jacks, aces and dueces wild when you play with your poker buddies at your house on Thursday night, but those games have no bearing on tournament play or your standings therein.

If you log onto the multiplayer server for an official, anonymous ladder game, the rulesets need to be identical.

Out of curiosity how many official severs have you logged into in any game? The original Half-life was that. Heck Counterstrike started out as a Mod and now its considered an official version of the game.

I have known several games that a modification has become popular enough the your ladder games and official tourneys would be run on it just as much as the base game.

Though I don't play in very many tourneys because I play for fun and many toruney ppl can be complete jerks when they are loosing. Being insulted over a simple game is rather annoying.

I voted a while earlier on the "Different Kind of Expansion Pack" thread and besides my e-mail not working (well at least someone else can have fun knowing they voted for it:D) I wanted more nukes:evil:and tanks among other things.

Top Bottom