1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] (POLL) What will be the first first look?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hawke9, Nov 23, 2018.

?

What do you think will be the first first look?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2018.
  1. Inca

49 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Mali

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Maori

102 vote(s)
    55.7%
  4. Hungary

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Phoenicia/Carthage

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Ottomans

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Sweden

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Canada

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Eleanor

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Something else, the leaks may be incorrect.

13 vote(s)
    7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Inca -> Sweden -> Mali -> Eleanor -> Maori ->Ottomans -> Hungary -> Phonecia -> Canada

If the leaks are true that is.

2. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

I feel like Canada will be second or third like the Netherlands was.

Zaarin likes this.
  3. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

I still struggle to believe they're including Canada, after including the Cree, especially with Laurier as the leader. He's like the anti-thesis of "big personality". Unless you're going for a stereotypical "peace, order, and good government" Canadian, in which case he's perfect. Competent, thoughtful leader doesn't really seem the Civ 6 type. More the type of name a fraudster would pick, based on 5 minutes research about Canadian PMs.

If the first video is about the Noongar, we can jump leaks again ...

4. treadwin

treadwin Warlord

Eleanor would be a very strange choice as a ruler of England, if not only because she spent 16 years of her supposed rule in prison. Another 5 years were spent in Poitiers. She never held any office during Richard the Lionheart's crusades, and didn't seem to contribute much to Henry's rule before that.

As for the "Court of Love", that is extremely dubious historically also. I really am not in favour of these very fictionalized rulers, headed into King Arthur country.

Queen Elizabeth 1 would be a much better female ruler of England, and if they are looking for a "joint" ruler, then William/Willem of Orange of England/Holland would be a much better choice.

Zaarin likes this.
  5. alvinofdiaspar

alvinofdiaspar Chieftain

Might not be such a bad thing though - and POGG could be the name of a Canadian UA - though my suspicion is that whatever it is called, it would be related to World Congress given historical peacekeeping role, etc.

WillowBrook likes this.
  6. King William I

King William I Prince

Canada does seem the perfect civ for the diplomacy changes...

7. NukeAJS

NukeAJS King

Wasn't the third civ in the video the Byzantines? Orthodox Christianity with classical middle-eastern style architecture in a hilly city that could easily be Constantinople/Istanbul? A building even crumbles on top of him a la the Ottoman siege of Constantinople.

Anyways, the maori will be the first first look civ. Then Inca, then Byzantine (or Ottoman).

8. Prima Italia

Prima Italia Chieftain

Byzantium.

9. Art Grin

Art Grin Emperor

Well, I'm honestly hoping the first video will be the Byzantines so that both leaks end up false and we can go crazy speculating who'll be the new civs this expansion.

SelmanV, Siptah, altayrneto and 3 others like this.
  10. Naktis

Naktis Warlord

I think or hope firaxis know about the leak...so they need to make first video on Civ that is not in the leak , otherwise..guessing a civ will be over in 1second...

11. Greywulf

Greywulf King

I'm most eager to hear all the details about the Maori (and you're probably pronouncing it wrongly)...

12. CPWimmer

CPWimmer King

I don't expect that to be the case, but it would be awesome!

WillowBrook likes this.
  13. Xandinho

Xandinho Emperor

Incas will be the first, since it is the civ that everyone most is asking for. The following will be Ottoman, Mali, Canada...

14. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

i still do not believe we will get the Maori, in the trailer the people which people seem to assume to be Maori seem to be standing on a Hōkūleʻa, a polynesian ship

Edit: btw i think inca will be revealed first since they are also in the trailer

15. Willie5000

Willie5000 Chieftain

Considering how with Rise and Fall we saw the series regulars first, I’m going to say the Inca will be first, followed by a Civ with a female leader (Sweden or maybe Carthage/Phoenicia if the leaks turn out to be correct) then Ottomans.

16. Pistol90

Pistol90 Warlord

I would go with Ottomans ... it will be great start for anticipating expanssion , first civ to be most wanted. But when will first of the first looks be, next week maybe ???

Haig likes this.
  17. Cagarustus

Cagarustus Prince

Really? Laurier is ranked as one of Canada’s best prime ministers.

18. Buthera

Buthera Chieftain

Good point, however it works in the favour of the Maori. Kupe would have travelled on a Hokule'a or something similar as he was among the first people to reach NZ, most likely from Tahiti - and you can see the land they're approaching has a long white cloud, it was from this journey that Aotearoa gets its name, supposedly given by Kupe's wife.

My guess is they chose him specifically to have a leader ability that relates to the Civ V Polynesians while still representing a single culture rather than a mishmash. His moko is unmistakably Maori, as is his outfit which still retains the feeling of an explorer. Above all, in the cinematic his necklace is of te wheke, the octopus - Kupe defeated a giant octopus on his journey.

Because of all that shown in the trailer alone, I think (and hope!) the Maori are the first revealed.

Jewelrunna, Siptah, Meluhhan and 3 others like this.
  19. kryat

kryat King

Nelson Mandela spent 28 years in prison, but he’d be the obvious choice for South Africa.

altayrneto and Trav'ling Canuck like this.
  20. Canterbury

Canterbury Warlord

Yeah, the Māori would've used similar ships to migrate to New Zealand. They're very important in our cultural traditions, and most tribes will affiliate to one or more of these "waka", as we call them (or "waka hourua" when specifically referring to the double-hulled, oceangoing canoes). These tribal waka usually have names. According to Māori tradition, Kupe himself travelled to New Zealand aboard a waka called the Matahourua. It could've been that very waka that the trailer was depicting.

(BTW, there have been several replica Polynesian vessels built in recent times. The most famous of these is the Hōkūleʻa from Hawaii, a double-hulled oceangoing vessel called a "waʻa kaulua" in Hawaiian, similar to a "waka hourua" in Māori.)

Wow, nice observation! I didn't notice it at all until your comment made me re-look at the trailer ... and there it was, a wheke (octopus) pendant! The person wearing it has to be Kupe now, IMO: his battle with the Giant Wheke is one of the most well-known legends in Māori culture.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.