1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GS] (POLL) What will be the first first look?

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by Hawke9, Nov 23, 2018.

?

What do you think will be the first first look?

Poll closed Nov 30, 2018.
  1. Inca

49 vote(s)
    26.8%
  2. Mali

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Maori

102 vote(s)
    55.7%
  4. Hungary

4 vote(s)
    2.2%
  5. Phoenicia/Carthage

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Ottomans

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  7. Sweden

2 vote(s)
    1.1%
  8. Canada

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  9. Eleanor

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  10. Something else, the leaks may be incorrect.

13 vote(s)
    7.1%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Arianrhod

Arianrhod Warlord

Now that's just false! There may be a lot of nationalists now who get excited to play as their own civilization regardless of its importance, but within the casual community, the most well-received civilizations in general tend to be those that someone with a very casual knowledge of history would have heard of. Civilizations like the Inca, the Maya, Byzantium, and Babylon are all very easy to market to these players, in spite of not necessarily representing marketable regions, just because average players recognize them and feel their absence.

Civilizations like Brazil, Canada, and Australia (for example) are extremely popular among a smaller group of people, which can drive up sales when used sparingly (i.e. to appeal to those people), but they can be seen in a negative light if they're repeatedly spammed over civilizations that these casual historians "know" should be there over them. And the slightly more obscure civilizations that this forum tends to push for have a bad tendency to end up despised outside of it, just because -- regardless of how valuable this game is as an educational game -- the reality is that with most players being adults with a somewhat light knowledge of history, they have a very rigid and long-since-established set of ideas about what civilizations are "important" and "unimportant" and are fairly intolerant of the latter. This website celebrated Georgia, but outside of it they're probably one of the least popular civilizations in the franchise's history. And that's at least one that can be found on a map! It's hard to believe that "new civilizations" are really all that marketable in the long run when every time one gets added most responses are just begging for the old ones back; if anything, being a "new civilization" seems to be more of a penalty than a bonus, unless it's one that virtually everyone would recognize like Vietnam or some form of Italy (Venice is probably one of the most popular V Civilizations.)

Among casual audiences, the Inca are definitely one of the most popular civilizations. In terms of gameplay, because terrace farms historically tend to be a fun inclusion. In terms of history, because it tends to be the only South American civilization that the average Civilization player actually knows and values, and thus if they're missing the entire continent might as well be missing. You can say a lot about that being a bigger problem, and perhaps it is, but that's not something that the publisher can change within the next decade.

Buthera, Guandao and Zaarin like this.
  2. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

to be honest i didn't know enough about Maori culture to recognize the ship as Maori, thanks for enlightening me.

as for the Inca being the only south american civilization the average civilization player know, i would argue that a lot of people have heard about the Mayan calendar, as such they will have at least heard of the Maya civilization. i'm not saying that it is better known than the Incas but i think it would be close

3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

The Maya aren't in South America. They're in Central America, which is part of the North American continent.

SolInvictus, Hawke9, Buthera and 4 others like this.
  4. The Sentinel

The Sentinel Chieftain

and it seems i stand corrected again, i should probably shut up:p

Buthera, Jewelrunna and ShahJahanII like this.
  5. Jewelrunna

Jewelrunna Prince

Let's not get too hung up on the trailer for ideas on where the Civs will come from - that earthquake doesn't necessarily mean that we'll get Byzantium. R&F's trailer had a Roman gladiator scene, but there was no alt leader for Rome; there was a naval exploration scene and we didn't get Isabella for Spain or a Portuguese Civ. (Maybe you could argue that they were trying to hint at the Dutch, but since they discover the Americas in that bit, I think that might be reaching). That said, I think the Inca and Maori are probably likely due to the leaks, but beyond that, who knows man.

I think, much like last time, we'll get a Civ that appeared in the trailer. Since the Maori are a frequently requested Civ, appeared in the trailer, and also got leaked all over the Internet, my bet's on them. I think they'll go with the Inca for the second one, since they're a returning fan favorite (like the Dutch) and also were in the trailer. After that, it's hard to call. I think Ottomans are a safe bet for last, since they're a long-time alum and will generate hype for the expansion. Eleanor might go around the midpoint, because I doubt she'll get a lot of hype (and is more likely to draw ire if we're being honest). I also find it likely Canada will be towards the end, as they've been requested for a long time and will be pretty marketable to the Canadian market.

6. jddods

jddods Prince

Like many of you, this.

7. Siptah

Siptah Eternal Chieftain

Can‘t be Maori first. They would have been leaked on an obscure NZ Talkshow this weekend.

Meluhhan, Buthera, Guandao and 5 others like this.
  8. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

Unless we don't get the first First Look for another week...

Guandao likes this.
  9. Greywulf

Greywulf King

Someone has far too much time on their hands if they are going around spreading false info about a computer game.

Zaarin and Eagle Pursuit like this.
  10. Cerilis

Cerilis Not Warlord

It's a bit mean that this year with my job all the first looks will be when I just have to go to work. :mad:

11. Rup

Rup Warlord

Yup bro :/
    Here is the pic of his PM
    http://imgur.com/a/CH02jU8

12. Trav'ling Canuck

Trav'ling Canuck Deity

At least it means you may have the money to afford to buy GS when it comes out. :)

13. Eagle Pursuit

Eagle Pursuit Scir-Gerefa

14. Nev_ti

Nev_ti Chieftain

Thats totally not a Maori background

15. Alexander's Hetaroi

Alexander's Hetaroi Deity

16. bite

bite Unofficial Civilization Cartographer Moderator

Moderator Action: Since we have are first sneak peak I am going to close this thread

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.