Poor interface

anatoliy

Chieftain
Wow, what a horrible interface change!
  • Edge mouse screen scroll apparently either has not been tested on the top bar or left by design. In any case extremely annoying.
  • UI upscale is not an option for HDTV? What the hack? Try playing on the 40 inch in 3 meters distance. Poor decision.
    • Fun: Unit experience bar is two pixels wide line at the bottom of the screen )))
  • It took me 10 seconds to recognize the Sheep icon. Really?
  • Most time terrain is much brighter and colorful than Units. C'mon, really? Poor decision.
  • Splitting Manage Citizens and City Build List was the stupidest decision ever made! I often rearranged working tiles to micromanage things. Trying to pick optimal tiles and to see how building takes rounds. Now I have to reclick between two modes. Shame to BA!!
  • Same type Notifications are grouped!! ))) I cant believe it. So if you discovered two huts, you see only one circle with tiny number two below it. Clicking on the bubble will lead you ONLY to the first location. To determine where the second is located you need to hover mouse above the bubble, then quickly catch arrow buttons above tool tip. What a poor decision.
  • All bubbles are the same grayish color! Moreover, when babrs entered my territory it was not red! It just annoyingly BLINKING! Wow. What a stupid decision.
  • Builder unit ALWAYS has build pasture, build farm and build camp on ANY terrain. It was incredibly funny to look at those gray-out icons on the Jade terrain without any notion (tip) why they are gray-out. BUT! The build mine button was not even there!! Why? Because I have not researched the Mining yet. Poor decision.
  • How can you distinguish a Builder who is sleeping and builder unit who already moved? Visually you cant. You have to click and see to the right if bizzare sun (wake) icon is present. Wow.

Second that. It's very hard to play on such a setting. I hope manipulating the html files will improve that. Modders, please help

Sounds mostly like their design doesn't fit your tastes, not that it's a bad design. I've heard most LPers have a minor quibble here or there but nobody has said the UI sucks. The UI looks pretty good to me.

In most games I play these days edge scroll doesn't even exist or is disabled and you move the camera with WASD. I can only hope WASD moves the camera in Civ 6 - that would be refreshing.

I've played for 6 hours, and I'm still having issues adapting. All of the points you mentioned are similar to my own opinion. Simple things such as menus having different positioning - having to click bottom left to continue and then top right to exit.. Don't make back-to-back screens with massive mouse gestures, basic UI design 101. It's embarrassing.

The game is great, but the UI and AI are definitely the low points.

I've played for 6 hours, and I'm still having issues adapting. All of the points you mentioned are similar to my own opinion. Simple things such as menus having different positioning - having to click bottom left to continue and then top right to exit.. Don't make back-to-back screens with massive mouse gestures, basic UI design 101. It's embarrassing.

Eh, we'll see. It takes me a while to get used to every new UI. It's like the old adage that it takes you two weeks to get used to your reflection in the mirror when you get a new haircut.

A few points that I've noticed, to add to these annoyances:
  • The fog of war is confusing, a pain to decipher (just as I feared)
  • Yield icons are all fudged up in strategic view (food is obscured by the worker icon)
  • Roads blend too much into the terrain (tundra is the worst, but others as well), especially in strategic view
  • Units being greyed out before being given orders is STUPID
  • The setup screen does not remember the settings from your last game (seriously, Firaxis? AGAIN with this BS?)
  • You cannot rename cities (correct me if I'm wrong; I'd sure like to be!)
  • There is no option to regenerate map while in-game, even though it was PROMISED! ... [censored] :mad:
All in all, a poor show. I'm sure most of these issues will be ironed out with patches, but they're highly annoying nonetheless. Dot #2 here makes you wonder if any of the devs ever played even one game in strategic view. :rolleyes:

I am also having trouble adapting it is certainly different to CIV5 that's for sure.

All in all, a poor show. I'm sure most of these issues will be ironed out with patches, but they're highly annoying nonetheless. Dot #2 here makes you wonder if any of the devs ever played even one game in strategic view. :rolleyes:

The things about developing UI for a game is that, you're getting used to what you see. Now if anyone ever look at Vox Populi's EUI the first time, they would say it's a mess and how can anyone ever play with that UI, yet here we are thinking it's the great thing.

Edge mouse screen scroll apparently either has not been tested on the top bar or left by design. In any case extremely annoying.
UI upscale is not an option for HDTV? What the hack? Try playing on the 40 inch in 3 meters distance. Poor decision.

These two baffle me too.

No large interface for 1080p? Why?

And edge scrolling, what's the point if not all edges are allowed? Also issue if city panels are open.

Also, exiting menus... Why no right click to exit any menu? Either I need to hunt for X button or press ESC.

Agree with every complaint above.
My biggest complaints, and for me they are HUGE, because it's an absolute step back from Civ 5 (why not just copy it from there?) :
-lack of restart option. I spent the first hour having to go back to the main menu, just to generate a start for me that had at least 1 luxury, and some food. seriously, 1 hour before I had an acceptable start. I still didn't have any mountain, but at least I could grow above 4 pop by turn 60..
-game not remembering game settings. Much of that hour spent, was reclicking all the options.
Absolutely ridiculous.

The thing about edge scrolling that bothers me is that there seems to be an offset from the true edge of the screen where if you hover your mouse, it will start scrolling. It is egregious when you try to hover over some of the interface buttons near the top-left corner - the screen would pan if you so much as hover over the Tech Tree button. They did a good job preventing that with the bottom-right corner, where the UI button for next action/turn is, but the whole top panel is a dead zone, making you have to scroll by hovering over the bottom edge of said panel.

They should fix the edge scrolling by returning it to CiV's behavior: make it scroll when the mouse cursor is brought to the extreme edge, and not before. Then they don't need to disable the accidental scroll by hovering over some of the UI elements.
Also, to make the lack of proper edge scrolling more bearable: allow us to enable map inertia.

I dislike the greyed-out units when they are fortified as well. Makes it harder to process a turn as the player wants to. Should use CiV's approach with a differently-shaped icon to tell us which units are sleeping and which have expended their action points.

That said, I can see the logic behind some of the new changes, so I don't think it's fair to just say that everything is a poor decision (it is a criticism that has no constructive value). I, for one, like the less pronounced resource icons, as they can get very cluttered in CiV if you zoom out. What they need to do is allow 0-second tooltip for those who are still not used to the map features.

Basically, a lot of the problems can be fixed by reverting to CiV's behavior.

Is it me or is it actuall harder to make a travel route for units? You're not instantly get a route if you long-click on a tile. You need to click noticeably longer. Also the travel route lines are black? It baffles me.

Also, to make the lack of proper edge scrolling more bearable: allow us to enable map inertia.
It's in the game options, saw it in one of today's gamer streams. May have to reload the game for it to work though, I don't remember.

What happens if you hold the shift key as you move a unit? Does it function as a way point as in Civ4?

:lol: No, I have to wait more than an hour yet to launch the game. EXPLORE the options.
Well, I just explored the options and I couldn't find it either. Must have been a memory fault on my part. :(

I'm glad I found this thread, I thought that I couldn't be the only one who found the interface to be severely lacking for a 2016 game! It's like nobody has bothered to test it. The scrolling is a joke, one of the most basic things to get right and they've failed miserably. Civ 4 did it perfectly, but now in 2016 we don't get proper scrolling.

And what has happened to the city view? Where is the micro management? This game isn't fun for me, it's not exactly inspiring me to keep playing.

And what has happened to the city view? Where is the micro management? This game isn't fun for me, it's not exactly inspiring me to keep playing.
The Citizen Management is there. Anything you could do in V, you can do here in terms of City View. Except for queuing, haven't found out how to do that, yet.

Top Bottom