Poor interface

• UI upscale is not an option for HDTV? What the hack? Try playing on the 40 inch in 3 meters distance. Poor decision.

It was a poor decision not to build in options for the (let's take a guess) 0.1% of users who will attempt to play on a 40" screen while sitting at the other end of the room?

The majority of your concerns appear to be experience based, for example, you will never not recognise the sheep again, you will know where the XP bar is, you'll know which notifications to look out for etc etc. Much of the rest of it sounds like your brightness needs sorting out or by playing CiV.

Scrolling at the edge of the screen not edge of map
Numpad movement
Regenerate map
See which tile will grow next
Remember game set-up options

My top 5 UI problems right now...

the UI gives me the impression that there were no serious civ players involved with this game's design :(

i hope i'm wrong and they just ran out of time or something, but it's annoying how poorly it handles things that previous games managed to do fine

I found this post on the Steam forums on how you can turn off the auto cycle. http://steamcommunity.com/app/289070/discussions/0/340412122407085484/?tscn=1476998986
If you do this, though, then you can easily miss moving some units, as the game sometimes skips straight to 'End turn' (dunno what the logic is exactly, as I didn't pay that close attention). So it's a case of 'can't live with it, can't live without it'... For now at least.

@Biz_: Agreed. I can't understand why they didn't just look at the Civ V UI, see what the biggest issues with it were, remedy those, and then give the whole thing a new coat of paint. Why re-invent the wheel when you so clearly don't have to?

I guess previous / next unit is the main one missing, some are there but not all.

There doesn't seem to be a way to rest until healed, do tile improvements, close popup messages (new technologies / civics, etc.) or toggle tile yields on the map using keyboard shortcuts either. It feels very annoying to have to click all of these with mouse when they had hotkeys before.

I take back what I said about fortified units. At first I thought the units' not having immediately changing icons when given the fortify order made it confusing, and the faded color didn't help to distinguish them from units that have expended their movement. But after a while, with many units sitting around my city during peace, I appreciate how faded they are. Would have been really distracting if the icons were opaque.

It is the opposite of Civ 5 release.

Back then the UI and graphics were great but the gameplay was horrible.

Now the game play is great but the UI is horrible. Some graphics look very cheap as well like the menus.

I develop UIs for a living and it is more than getting use to it. It looks like amateurs programming.

I doubt patches can improve UI and it is a shame as game looks goid and we are going to stare at this for many hours! game

Going into a city is a pain! WHY must there be 3 different buttons / tabs (city details, assign citizens and production)? Why can't I get those all by pressing one damn button? It doesn't make any sense. You don't even have to be an UI dev / enthusiast to understand that. And where's the shotcut to exit the damn city screens?

Going into a city is a pain! WHY must there be 3 different buttons / tabs (city details, assign citizens and production)? Why can't I get those all by pressing one damn button? It doesn't make any sense. You don't even have to be an UI dev / enthusiast to understand that. And where's the shotcut to exit the damn city screens?
UI designers would tell you that throw everything into one screen is bad, because organized data is much better when there are many things to manage. The problem is this isn't the most elegant way to solve that.

The majority of your concerns appear to be experience based, for example, you will never not recognise the sheep again, you will know where the XP bar is, you'll know which notifications to look out for etc etc. Much of the rest of it sounds like your brightness needs sorting out or by playing CiV.

Wow. What an argument)) - Go play Civ 5)))

Well, Civ 6 IS usable and playable. There is no doubt in that.
But is it sophisticated? Elegant and user experience polished? Obviously not. And its a shame for an AAA product.

You are saying that it is possible to come around and get used to the new CV 6. Another forum member is saying - just get used to that.
Yes, I will. But it does not make me happy.

UI designers would tell you that throw everything into one screen is bad, because organized data is much better when there are many things to manage. The problem is this isn't the most elegant way to solve that.

Thing is, in the past 5-10 years or so, UI designers have thrown everything we learned in the 90s and early 2000s about UI design out the window and are now just in a free-for-all, resulting in a lot of UIs like that. This isn't limited to Civ6, but is an industry-wide phenomenon. I can't wait till the pendulum swings back to more sensible UIs, hopefully in the next 5 years lol

Most of things you complained show the lack of attention from your part. Mouse-over tool-tips is there, both on strategy map and normal map, but I assume you don't bother waiting for it to appear, you can keep track of the total yield just by clicking on the city, and you can even know how much each city yield for a specific resource just by hovering your mouse over said resource. You can't promote unit if you spent all movement point, and the xp growth is under the unit screen, although I would say it's too small.

Really, it's time to forget about the CiV UI and start to adapt to the new one. CiV UI/UX has been way more terrible than this.

When I mouse-over my cow it says "bonus resource'. That's it. Wonderful.

I'm trying to promote units at the beginning of the turn, not at the end. It was very late at night, though, so I'll try again later today.

I have one problem with the UI: where is the units list? Or how do I cycle between units at least? It's so hard to find all units that need an upgrade or that ship you parked somewhere and forgot about...

Accidently stumbled upon:
1. Select a unit, for ex Galley
2. Press on Unit's Name "Galley", a list will pop.

Do others also occasionally have boosted techs that they couldn't possibly have boosted? I'm not sure if this is an interface problem, mind, as it seems to me that the boost is actually applied.

Do others also occasionally have boosted techs that they couldn't possibly have boosted? I'm not sure if this is an interface problem, mind, as it seems to me that the boost is actually applied.

Boosts can happen for a variety of reasons aside from what's described on the tech itself, most notably Great Scientists and Research Agreements. Perhaps some wonders too I can't remember (and still can't play the game).

I have one problem with the UI: where is the units list? Or how do I cycle between units at least? It's so hard to find all units that need an upgrade or that ship you parked somewhere and forgot about...

If you select any unit, click on that unit's name (either the generic name or the custom name you gave it after 2 promotions) -- up will pop a unit listing that you can scroll through and immediately navigate to any unit (civilian or military).

Top Bottom