1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Poor interface

Discussion in 'Civ6 - General Discussions' started by anatoliy, Oct 20, 2016.

Tags:
  1. Xyriach

Xyriach Chieftain

It was a poor decision not to build in options for the (let's take a guess) 0.1% of users who will attempt to play on a 40" screen while sitting at the other end of the room?

The majority of your concerns appear to be experience based, for example, you will never not recognise the sheep again, you will know where the XP bar is, you'll know which notifications to look out for etc etc. Much of the rest of it sounds like your brightness needs sorting out or by playing CiV.

2. MaXXXXXuM

MaXXXXXuM Chieftain

Anyone try it over Steam Link on the big screen? Hoping the UI's bigger so I don't have to squint.

3. skyclad

skyclad Prince

Scrolling at the edge of the screen not edge of map
    Numpad movement
    Regenerate map
    See which tile will grow next
    Remember game set-up options

My top 5 UI problems right now...

4. Biz_

Biz_ Prince

the UI gives me the impression that there were no serious civ players involved with this game's design :(

i hope i'm wrong and they just ran out of time or something, but it's annoying how poorly it handles things that previous games managed to do fine

aggri1 and jamesviago like this.
  5. stiiknafuulia

stiiknafuulia King

If you do this, though, then you can easily miss moving some units, as the game sometimes skips straight to 'End turn' (dunno what the logic is exactly, as I didn't pay that close attention). So it's a case of 'can't live with it, can't live without it'... For now at least.

@Biz_: Agreed. I can't understand why they didn't just look at the Civ V UI, see what the biggest issues with it were, remedy those, and then give the whole thing a new coat of paint. Why re-invent the wheel when you so clearly don't have to?

6. Fierro

Fierro Warlord

So far the most annoying thing for me is city screen.

aggri1 likes this.
  7. Wade-FIN

Wade-FIN Chieftain

There doesn't seem to be a way to rest until healed, do tile improvements, close popup messages (new technologies / civics, etc.) or toggle tile yields on the map using keyboard shortcuts either. It feels very annoying to have to click all of these with mouse when they had hotkeys before.

8. TruthfulCake

TruthfulCake Prince

I take back what I said about fortified units. At first I thought the units' not having immediately changing icons when given the fortify order made it confusing, and the faded color didn't help to distinguish them from units that have expended their movement. But after a while, with many units sitting around my city during peace, I appreciate how faded they are. Would have been really distracting if the icons were opaque.

comatosedragon likes this.
  9. genyl

genyl Chieftain

It is the opposite of Civ 5 release.

Back then the UI and graphics were great but the gameplay was horrible.

Now the game play is great but the UI is horrible. Some graphics look very cheap as well like the menus.

I develop UIs for a living and it is more than getting use to it. It looks like amateurs programming.

I doubt patches can improve UI and it is a shame as game looks goid and we are going to stare at this for many hours! game

Jeckel and anatoliy like this.
  10. Mustakrakish

Mustakrakish In 'Node' We Trust

Going into a city is a pain! WHY must there be 3 different buttons / tabs (city details, assign citizens and production)? Why can't I get those all by pressing one damn button? It doesn't make any sense. You don't even have to be an UI dev / enthusiast to understand that. And where's the shotcut to exit the damn city screens?

aggri1 likes this.
  11. DSveno

DSveno Chieftain

UI designers would tell you that throw everything into one screen is bad, because organized data is much better when there are many things to manage. The problem is this isn't the most elegant way to solve that.

12. anatoliy

anatoliy Chieftain

Wow. What an argument)) - Go play Civ 5)))

Well, Civ 6 IS usable and playable. There is no doubt in that.
    But is it sophisticated? Elegant and user experience polished? Obviously not. And its a shame for an AAA product.

You are saying that it is possible to come around and get used to the new CV 6. Another forum member is saying - just get used to that.
    Yes, I will. But it does not make me happy.

13. narmox

narmox Emperor

Thing is, in the past 5-10 years or so, UI designers have thrown everything we learned in the 90s and early 2000s about UI design out the window and are now just in a free-for-all, resulting in a lot of UIs like that. This isn't limited to Civ6, but is an industry-wide phenomenon. I can't wait till the pendulum swings back to more sensible UIs, hopefully in the next 5 years lol

Jeckel, anatoliy and Groff like this.
  14. jjkrause84

jjkrause84 King

When I mouse-over my cow it says "bonus resource'. That's it. Wonderful.

I'm trying to promote units at the beginning of the turn, not at the end. It was very late at night, though, so I'll try again later today.

15. anatoliy

anatoliy Chieftain

Accidently stumbled upon:
    1. Select a unit, for ex Galley
    2. Press on Unit's Name "Galley", a list will pop.

16. need my speed

need my speed Rex Omnium Imperarium

Do others also occasionally have boosted techs that they couldn't possibly have boosted? I'm not sure if this is an interface problem, mind, as it seems to me that the boost is actually applied.

17. anandus

anandus Errorist

Probably only available for high resolutions? (QHD, 4K, etc.)

18. narmox

narmox Emperor

Boosts can happen for a variety of reasons aside from what's described on the tech itself, most notably Great Scientists and Research Agreements. Perhaps some wonders too I can't remember (and still can't play the game).

19. Browd

Browd Dilettante Administrator

If you select any unit, click on that unit's name (either the generic name or the custom name you gave it after 2 promotions) -- up will pop a unit listing that you can scroll through and immediately navigate to any unit (civilian or military).

20. Giorsoine

Giorsoine Chieftain

Is it me or is the only way to move a unit using the mouse?

comatosedragon likes this.