1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Popular protests in the EU

Discussion in 'Off-Topic' started by innonimatu, Nov 17, 2018.

1. mitsho

mitsho Chieftain

They probably can‘t imagine a movement not orchestrated from above?

Coming back to the original topic of this thread, I find it interesting how the „Grand débat national“ of Macron was seemingly a succes and how the refusal of the „gilets jaunes“ to engage in it somehow seemed to delegitimate them (or is my impression wrong). Just shows that what Europe really needs is more ways for citizens (and non-citizens) to engage themselves, be they direct democratic, participative, representative or federalistic tools.

Hrothbern likes this.
  2. EnglishEdward

EnglishEdward Chieftain

Who cares about the western bit of the EuroAsian continent.

Judging by the posters here the UK is secondly only to North Korea and Venezuela for the world lead.

3. Patine

Patine Warlord

Do not speak for me. How could I possibly disregard the nation whose head-of-state is also the head-of-state of my nation in Canada. Besides, British television is FAR superior to the drivel that tends to make it onto American broadcast nowadays, and French television and movies are just bizarre and often nonsensical in plot.

4. Traitorfish

Traitorfish The Tighnahulish Kid

North Korea is clearly in much sounder hands than the United Kingdom.

Hamid.H and Lexicus like this.
  5. Patine

Patine Warlord

The same political party has been in power for 71 years! And there's portraits, monuments, and celebrations to all their national executive heads, past and present, EVERYWHERE!

6. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Chieftain

i know, its a joke since antifa is nothing but a "feel good" white liberal larp. the only thing theyve resisted is confronting their own white privilege and the systems of white supremacy that they continue to benefit from.

hh

7. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Chieftain

fair to who?? fascists? the only reason why this was done was so those in power, supporting white supremacy could give the appearance that the alt-right and antifa are on equal footing, however all of the hate and violence is clearly coming from only one of those sides.

hh

8. Patine

Patine Warlord

Okay, this cliched, stereotyping trope of yours is just getting ridiculous and braindead. If you're going to make social criticism or commentary, please make it sensible, backable, thought-out, and not spamming canned zeitgeist buzz terms and bad myths and stereotypes. Your credential is at ROCK BOTTOM!

9. Traitorfish

I... don't quite agree with this interpretation.

10. Hrothbern

Hrothbern Warlord

Here an article on a book describing the critical mass (number of people) of mass protests and their likelyhood on domestic change.
    It boils down to an experience value of 3.5% of the country's population to have a fair chance on a real change.

From my own experience, from two mass protests in NL with 2.8% (1981) and another with 3.8% (1983) of the Dutch population, I can add that the one of 2.8% had clearly more effect on the government than the 3.8% because the 2.8% was much more spontaneous and far bigger than anybody had expected, and the 3.8% was very well PR prepared, like an election.

3.5% of your country's population is a lot, especially when at least 50% comes totally unexpected. Just like with Woodstock (though there it was 2%-3% of the young generation segment)

http://www.bbc.com/future/story/20190513-it-only-takes-35-of-people-to-change-the-world

11. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Chieftain

um, how about you you guys explain your points of view rather than simply making vague and vapid statements. i mean, disagreeing is okay, but at at last say something of substance.

hh

12. Patine

Patine Warlord

I believe we both have at numerous points. Or, perhaps we just haven't to the satisfaction of his Sublime Pudisha Imperial Majesty.

13. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Chieftain

i offer my point of view and i respectfully ask you to reciprocate to encourage a worthwhile discussion. if youre not interested in that, then fine, but the insults really arent necessary.

hh

14. Traitorfish

I took it for granted that my politics are well-enough known on this forum that I wouldn't need to detail explicitly why I reject your weirdo synthesis of American liberal privilege theory and Maoist third worldism.

Kyriakos likes this.
  15. REDY

REDY Duty Caller

Austria will have new elections because corruption scandal. One of minister was caught to be eager to be corrupted by one of Russian oligarchs.

This should be quite blow to eurorealist camp.

16. Hamid.H

Hamid.H Chieftain

why all of the hostility? do you sincerely expect everyone on this forum to have in depth knowledge of your political convictions well enough to read your mind?

if you dont want to discuss the topic why even post in the thread man?

hh

17. Traitorfish

Honestly, yeah, kinda.

Old Hippy likes this.
  18. Kyriakos

Kyriakos Alien spiral maker

Seems Austria was so annoyed with being scolded for electing to pm someone who "admired Hitler's policies" that a few years later it is full fascist.

19. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

98+% of the French media are corporate (all the TV, most of the newspapers - some of the TV is State-owned but the management and employees behave as if in the private sector, which they almost always come from). They are fully biased when reporting on these topics. Funny enough, those are the same owners that funded the repairs for Notre-Dame and were hastily deducted 90% of their donations from their taxes. How cool is that ?
    So, the information that filters outside France is not worth trusting.
    The "Grand debate" has always been a scam. A more participative democracy is what the "yellow vests" are for. Social justice is at the core of their claims. It has nothing to do with the "oil tax". Meanwhile, the police goes crazy with repression, under direct orders from the government.

Independent radio : 5% of the audience. State-owned : 20-30% (with the same ambiguities as public TV). Corporate : the rest.
    Radio is the land of free. Hertz me free !

:)

Last edited: May 19, 2019