1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Post a (tough) Deity map for me to play

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Strategy & Tips' started by Lain, Jul 19, 2017.

1. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

I have been playing a Fredrich game lately, but put that on hold to await some feedback, rolled a new random Fredrich map to keep the steam up, and this one was very interesting.
    I'm not sure the map is lain-worth, as the start is so rich, but there are challenges awaiting!
    Have only played 50 turns myself so far, and I don't want to spoil the map for myself just yet, so I can't say anytning about how suited it it long term.

Spoiler Starting screenshot :

Civ4ScreenShot0000.JPG

Buffy5 save is attached.

Attached Files:

2. Sleeping Dragon

Sleeping Dragon Chieftain

Hey Lain, big fan of your channel. Rolled a map today that I spent the morning on, looked like a game that was up your alley and I don't think you've got a Charlie game up yet. Hope the save works - I've got an old version of BUG installed I think. Don't be fooled by the nice land, this one's a beast.

Starting screenshot:
    Spoiler :

Spoilers for non-Lain people:
    Spoiler :
    Shuffle script, this one looks like Continents. Neighbours are Genghis Khan, Ragnar and Catherine. I settled 5 hill cities and ended up with Temujin and Catherine attacking me, stuffed one of my cities full of Protective hill archers and racked up something like a 12 to 1 kill ratio but they refused to make peace. I gave up in disgust when they got to elephants and started having large enough stacks to attack multiple cities at once. No easy access to early happiness and you don't have metal. The land is very fertile with a bunch of floodplains to the south but the neighbourhood is just :trouble::trouble::hammer::hammer:

My main mistake was probably not giving Temujin a gift city in the desert to the southeast, I considered it but guessed that with our close border tensions (he settled a city right up against my borders and there was nothing I could do about it) and our dissimilar peaceweight that he was going to attack me anyway. I managed to get Catherine to Pleased before she attacked but she didn't have anything I could beg from her! :wallbash:

Attached Files:

3. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

This may not be considered a tough game considering barbs should be less of an issue, but I'll post it anyway. It's with Churchill. Fractal NH/NE.
    Spoiler :

(It was made with Buffy, sorry about that).

Attached Files:

4. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Chieftain

...That's a randomly generated map? How? What voodoo magic did you use to roll that?

5. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

It is randomly generated. Then my finger may have slipped a few times :satan:

6. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

The Churchil map, I had no problems with barbarians, but I can't really recommend the map.

Up to T139
    Spoiler :

I went straight for monotheism, which was probably a mistake as it delayed the lighthouse and granary...
    Then I built the moais with overflow from what I had at hand, such as missionaries, barracks and worker.
    Had just gotten techrate up abit with an academy when I was founded by Boudica. :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0005.JPG
    Took alot of turns to finally afford her map. And I had to revolt out of Judaism again to get it too!
    Civ4ScreenShot0006.JPG

I don't think I'll play this one out. I feel like the land disadvantage is abit too harsh! :)
    Civ4ScreenShot0008.JPG

Pangaea and Olafeson like this.
  7. Olafeson

Olafeson Chieftain

Lol, noob. :lol: Lain would stomp the A.I. already with a stack of 30 cuirs. Nah just joking ofc:D, i think its fine if you give up on this map. I wonder why you even tried to pull it off in the first place. Seems ambitious.

8. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Just for the fun of it. ☺️
    Got abit curious about the AIs too, and curious about what can or cannot be done on one small island.

9. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

I suppose one of the things that cannot be done is to win the game :D

And since I simply deleted our units from where we actually started out, whoever was able to fill that land probably got kinda big.

10. gramm87

gramm87 Chieftain

How about this map? It might look easy, but after multiple tries I can't seem to win it, for some reasons :mischief::mischief::mischief:
    Guess you need some "creative thinking" or at least a good deal of stubborness :lol:

Spoiler :

upload_2019-5-5_23-24-28.png

PS: settings is pangea small deity

Attached Files:

11. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

@gramm87
    The map certainly has some interesting elements, I would rate it a tiny bit less difficult than the Zara map though, just because it's small. But what do I know! :)

Played to T130 and then threw in the towel.
    Spoiler :

I followed the age long advice of marching inwards and settled on the stone for the extra hammer.
    Went AH->Mining->BW->Pottery in the early game.
    Settled Memphis where I did to exert cultural pressure, then settled Heliopolis to get cottages matured.
    Gifted Toku a iceball city to get him pleased and get open borders, then I built pyramids in Memphis.

Bulbed philo, did an academy and went for burocracy, techrate was very good but both Pacal and Hannibal where also insane.
    One bulb into education and one into lib. I have just traded for horses to start building horsearchers and I think I can get two GMerchants out.
    But Hannibal got lib one turn before me.
    Played very quickly and rather sloppy, so this was kind of sour grapes...
    Civ4ScreenShot0013.JPG

sampsa likes this.
  12. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Next game coming soon, @Lain? Fans are getting restless. ;)

13. BornInCantaloup

BornInCantaloup Agent of Chaos

Pro tip : don't do that. Or do, whatever :
    Spoiler :

14. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Updated for game 43.

As of game 43, these leaders have been played:

Alexander
    Asoka
    Boudica (2)
    Brennus
    Catherine
    Cyrus
    Darius
    Elizabeth
    Frederick
    Genghis Khan
    Gilgamesh (2)
    Hannibal
    Hatshepsut
    Isabella
    Joao
    Justinian
    Kublai Khan
    Lincoln (2)
    Louis
    Mansa (2)
    Mao
    Montezuma
    Pacal
    Pericles
    Peter
    Ragnar
    Ramesses
    Saladin (2)
    Shaka
    Sitting Bull
    Stalin
    Suleiman
    Sury (2)
    Tokugawa
    Wang
    Willem
    Zara

These haven't been played yet:
    Augustus
    Bismarck
    Charlemagne
    Churchill
    De Gaulle
    Gandhi
    Hammurabi
    Huayna Capac ( :lol:)
    Julius Caesar
    Mehmed
    Napoleon
    Qin
    Roosevelt
    Victoria
    Washington

15. Lain

Lain Chieftain

16. unas876

unas876 Chieftain

:devil::devil::devil:
    This map is a banger iircc

17. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

YouTube Google nuked their own site or something? Everything looks like crap now.

18. Olafeson

Olafeson Chieftain

looks fine to me.

19. Pangaea

Pangaea Rock N Roller

Don't know what they've done, but fullscreen doesn't work properly any more. There is a big bar all over the top of the screen, and you can scroll and stuff, as if you were looking at the normal site. The whole video doesn't fit properly in the screen either, so it was very awkward to watch.

20. Fippy

Fippy Micro Junkie Queen

Lain: IND will not do much for you in bad positions, very situational..

Narrator: The Great Lighthouse has been built in Bejing.

Lain: Nice, i got my stuff..!

Interviewer: was there something that helped you so far in this game?

Lain: hmm..

Fippy: hides and runs away

Lain and krikav like this.