Post-Game Analysis and Discussion

The tech double cross was intended to set MIA back technologically and seems to have been a mighty backfire. Our hope was to drive MIA towards the top half of the tree for their Wonder generated GA (Newtons). We all knew they had to have this but not give them the bottom half of the tree. I'm not sure how this was derailed.

Ultimately, if KISS and Donuts had been steaming through the MA's on techs I think the holy grail of PBEMs (cavs and rails) could've been accomplished. It seems we failed miserably in this department.

:) This is just delicious!

@Dnuts - you should read some of our natterings when we saw Kuningas take over as turn-player. Our palms became sweaty!

Whomp said:
The tech double cross was intended to set MIA back technologically and seems to have been a mighty backfire. Our hope was to drive MIA towards the top half of the tree for their Wonder generated GA (Newtons). We all knew they had to have this but not give them the bottom half of the tree. I'm not sure how this was derailed.

Ultimately, if KISS and Donuts had been steaming through the MA's on techs I think the holy grail of PBEMs (cavs and rails) could've been accomplished. It seems we failed miserably in this department.

I think we under estimated how difficult it would be too keep MIA away from the bottom half. Little did we know that they had basically decided to attack on 166 pretty much straight after they had signed the treaty.

Hey MIA - I'm reading KISS's Turnplay log. I skipped all the way up to t160 or so, just before our invasion. It's great reading!

@ALL - It's great to see the other sides of your personalities - not just when fuming in the UN. I'm developing a much deeper respect for many of you :)

peter grimes said:
@ALL - It's great to see the other sides of your personalities - not just when fuming in the UN. I'm developing a much deeper respect for many of you :)
Can you now understand how much I (and GA & other RM) enjoyed so much of the 4 fora. We got it live - you got it in hindsight. :p

One thing is clear ... with this sort of game diplomacy plays more an important role than in any other type of civ game, I guess being a virgin to multiteam games really helped as I had no previous experience and had to develop a system from scratch ... and you will notice that the teams we had more contact with developed a stronger relationship.

Our very first team chat which was with KISS was totally out of control and went for about 3 hours :wallbash: ... it was extremely frustrating for both teams and almost resulted in fists being swung. Lucky this became more structured when I took the brave step (for a noob) to structure the way that diplomacy was handled. We decided on a spokesperson for the team (with others being there only for backup and viewing), we even had a separate AIM chat opened to allow other team members to input on what was being discussed while the main meeting was happening.

I realised early that the more contact (especially in AIM) allows ideas to be bandied about and discussed ... and that sometimes things are let slip when the other is allowed to talk :mischief: ... and for that reason every clink, fart and burp I shared with rivals was posted and then discected by the team for hidden meanings which sometimes verged on the paranoidal :lol:

Anyway ... I have yet to wade through the other teams forums due to health reasons ... but I know for a fact that diplomacy is crucial in this type of game ... we managed to divert an early war which IMO was the reason that MIA managed to become far stronger than anyone thought ... after all is there any other team that suspected for most of the game 80% of our units were workers ??

On a personal note ... I salute all involved and enjoyed EVERY diplomatic interaction :beer:

hey, just heard about our win, and want to say congratualations to all my teammates!

greekguy said:

Saving the Nation of Iron: KISS and Iroqi Invasion

and

Greek Communication Thread

the first thread is my last ditch attempt at saving TNT and how us brave No-Namers fought our last stand against D'Nuts and the Galls. go ahead and post what you thought of our plan to save TNT and our assumptions while doing so. the second thread is the diplomacy we conducted with MIA. MIA was obviously our most frequent diplomatic contact, and i'd like to hear what you guys thought about our diplomacy and our speculation about the other teams.

hope you enjoy the read! :)

i guess no one bothered to read them. :(

i was particularly interested in what your thoughts were on our plan to save TNT.

greekguy said:
i guess no one bothered to read them. :(

i was particularly interested in what your thoughts were on our plan to save TNT.

Personally, I felt that your plans were what most people would do in that situation, and that MIA's lack of willing to assist against Nuts or Kiss basically left you without any hope of surviving since there was no way you were going to fight off both of them.

Basically we did what any other self serving nation would do, we just sat back and watched the carnage, while trying to use dilpomatic means to slove the solution, which never work. One thing I did not understand was TNT's reluctance to have Chivalry sent to them because thicould have helped greatly in the quest to rid your nation of th attackers.

There was some reason we didn't want it, IIRC it was that they would have been too expensive to be useful, and given anyone who didn't have the tech a discount.

i was pushing to get Chivalry from MIA for a long time, but BCLG kept on saying we didn't need it. even though you guys promised to give Chivalry to us whenever the time came for free, BCLG reasoned we couldn't build that many knights, since they cost more shields, and our team decided quantity was better than quality when being engulfed by 2 civs at once.

I think that was the right decision, personally. Knights are an odd build at 70s when you're not sure what city can produce 14spt or 16/17spt. MI and pikes seem to be a better bang for the buck.

You must not forget the killer that knights have over that combination, and that is speed. With that they can do so much more than what pikes and MDI can do, plus they upgrade to Cavs and that is what won us the game for us. While they are expensive, they do make up the cost.

Yes, but then we needed troops now that had a pretty good strength, many with out the extra options, while you needed them but could wait for the extra options.

What lost civantares said....

Top Bottom