1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Chandrasekhar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Toltec

Toltec Dragon Tamer

Bacchus does not have any military craft actually. We were building some but the EU stopped it. Anyway I came up with a backup plan just in case;)

2. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Crap, if there's gonna be a major war, then I should have probably sent better orders... (What did I send anyway?)

3. Fuschia

Fuschia A Little Odd

Hooray for war and the advantage using trained Islamic terrorists gives me! Not to mention all the commercial airliners that might accidently crash into New York City over the next year... ;)

Seriously, though, if there is a major war I will be either screwed or turned into a satellite of China, neither of which I am happy with. Trust me, Head Serf, you have it all wrapped up simply by being America; you don't have to do anything else, which is unfortunate for me. :(

4. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

I'm pretty sure Chand will do his best to create the most interesting scenario possible. Somehow I doubt that is either of the two you predict. I'm sure Indonesia will still be there after the update. This is still the pre-NES after all. ;)

5. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

I think an actual war might do wonders for the unity of the Islamic Confederation. It'd channel the other unifying feature of the Confederation, Anti-Americanism, into a purpose that serves for the benefit of the Confederation's goals. If the Confederation avoids an early knockout, then we'll see America's attempt to destroy Indonesia only creating a bigger and badder enemy.

6. Fuschia

Fuschia A Little Odd

True, but Indonesia itself might cease to exist. Which would be a disaster for the Confederation as a whole, because its population is more than the rest of the Confederation put together, as well as having a relatively powerful economy, and, of course, it is the founding state of the Confederation. Always important to keep those around.

7. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Currently I'm thinking Wednesday at latest. I have two PMs filled with update in my inbox, and one of those is all war. I've got the tech files mostly done, too. I really didn't want the update to take this long, but it was rough going, plotting out the course of the war. Hopefully this'll teach me how to handle future conflicts.
    Let's see... there's some scribbles here that are barely legible. I can make out "Take IC's delicious cake," but not much else. Did I mention that it's scratched on the back of a Wal*Mart receipt? :p (Actually, it has the bare necessities, and the results weren't too catastrophic.)

Edit: Triple crosspost.

8. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I changed my policy on your navy afterwards, however.

Urk. This may bode ill for the European Union. However, we will mobilize if necessary to protect ourselves from the aggression of others.

9. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

OOC: Err, Wednesday is about to be over, with just 3 and half hours left.

10. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

For you, it may be. ;) The update will certainly be done before I go to sleep.

11. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Yes, i suppose that there are other time zones. Good luck. A war needs it.

12. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Fuschia, here's a map of what the world will look like if American cities were somehow attacked, in any way. Notice the bigger ocean. I like to call it the Mediterranean Ocean.

Spoiler :

13. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Wow, what happened to Africa?

14. jalapeno_dude

jalapeno_dude AKA Panda Judo Eel

I believe that he removed all Islamic nations from the map.

15. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Slaughtered! What happened to all those innocent people? :D

16. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

I've already written the course of the war, by the way, so no need to coerce Fuschia any further. :mischief: Anyway, I'm just wrapping up the stats.

17. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Post it! I want to read the update before I go to bed.

18. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Pre-Update Three
    2091-2105 CE

In the years around the turn of the century, strong political currents were flowing, and Sol was the center of heated contests that would determine the fate of humanity's future among the stars. Yet in distant Valhalla, the atmosphere was not one of fierce competition. Instead, the European colonists there were able to focus on building a working Stigma skimming facility, and on expanding the colony itself to become self-sufficient and economically profittable. The thick ice that covered most of Asgard's surface was a harsh environment, but it was no worse than Bacchus or Carmenta.

Closer to home, Infinitas saw steady growth as the American colony on Carmenta and the European one on Bacchus continued to prosper. Commerce thrived, not only between the colonies and their mother nations, but also between the two colonies themselves. An abundance of useful ores from Bacchus were sent to Carmenta to build resilient structures there against the great storms, and the cargo ships returned laden with great quantities of water to facilitate agriculture and other necessities. Relations between the two colonies became quite friendly, to the point of a biplanetary advising board being maintained upon the great Bacchus-orbitting station SS Constantinople.

The political situation in Infinitas also deserves mention. While the American colony on Carmenta continued to act more or less in harmony with the 50 Earth-based states, the larger European settlement on Bacchus also saw its popular dissent lose momentum. The restrictions on Bacchus's military were somewhat loosened by the European authorities, and the colonists were able to reach a fair compromise in the creation of the JOAT class interplanetary spacecraft.

While this craft was, in name, a utility vehicle designed for interplanetary travel and odd jobs in space, it was the planet's worst-kept secret that the crafts' modular design would easily allow them to be fit with fairly powerful weaponry, allowing them to fight on comparable footing with the much larger destroyers already deployed by the other major powers. The creation of this craft, along with European expansion to the planet Vulcan, may not have been explicitly forbidden by the American and European governments, but it certainly caused some unease among those on Earth that were suspicious of independent colonial action. However, the generally cooperative nature of relations among the denizens of Infinitas kept tensions from rising noticeably. The fact that both the Europeans and the Americans had bigger issues on their respective plates may also have had something to do with that.

Speaking of which, the comparatively bountiful system of 009-108 finally saw a Chinese colony ship arrive in 2093 to settle the aquatic world of 009-108C. The Chinese had learned from their misadventure at Carmenta, and their colony on this more temperate aquatic world was clearly there to stay. 009-108C was also unique for another reason - it had something which had not been found on any planet aside from Earth itself.

Life. The same series of coincidences that had happened on Earth had been mirrored on this world, and the results sent shockwaves through the field of biology (not unlike the results of the Stigma event upon physicists). On 009-108C, the process of evolution had resembled the one on Earth. Hundreds of alien species were discovered within months of the landing, from microorganisms to behemoths as big as the great whales, and more continued to be discovered and studied as the years went by - though the main purpose of the Chinese colony was clearly not a scientific one. While none of the organisms on 009-108C had intelligence beyond that of an Earthling octopus, their biology was similar enough to the lifeforms of Earth that some of the organisms native to the planet could be farmed for food. On the whole, 009-108C was the planet most well suited to human habitation after Earth itself.

It was for this reason, along with scientific interest, that the Europeans announced their desire to send a colony ship of their own to 009-108. In response, the Chiense announced their intention to destroy any craft that tried to pass through their system of Damen (formerly 021-047), and their determination that no foreign craft would touch the waves of 009-108C intact. This overt military threat would have been a great insult to any other nation, but to the pacifistic Europeans, it was an especially direct snub. On Bacchus, a European mob swarmed through the streets of the Chinese settlement there until Chinese riot police brutally restored order. However, Europe itself swallowed the insult without retalliation, stating that the continued peace of the European nation was more important than a bruised national pride.

Into the 22nd century, less notable colonization efforts continued. Europe finished their Stigma skimming facility on Asgard, and by 2105 they had sent their newly designed Jardinier class colony ship by Stigma skim from Sol to Infinitas to Valhalla. The ship had spent well over a year on its journey - 10 months of that in Stigma travel alone - but its crew were eager to make the last great push to their destination. Meanwhile, China colonized the snowy world of 009-108D as well, to complement their more prized neighboring colony in the system. Europe continued to grow its colony at Nu, while the Chinese also set their sights on the 047-171 system.

Yet the Americans were notably absent from the interstellar colonization frontier. Some of this was simply their strategy - their colony on Mars grew to rival the one on Bacchus, and a betting pool formed on which of the two planets would have a breathable atmosphere first, only slightly hampered by the fact that terraforming experts doubted that this goal would be met within a human lifetime. Just as significant, however, was their conflict with the Islamic Confederation.

At first, it looked like war between the United States and Indonesia might be averted. When it became clear by 2092 that America would not be pressured into leaving Timor to the Indonesians, the Islamic Confederation issued a public proclamation asking Indonesia to cede the island to American forces, to avoid needlessly shedding Muslim blood. Indonesia's response was to give essentially no response at all, neither conceding to the IC's request nor declaring war on the United States. It was a ploy designed to make the Americans choose to either declare war and face the diplomatic consequences, or, better yet, to leave Timor entirely.

By late 2094, American patience was well exhausted, and they launched a campaign to quickly beat Indonesia into submission. The vastly superior American navy, army, and air force were deployed to destroy Indonesian military and communications facilities, and an invasion followed shortly thereafter. The island of Timor quickly fell under American control, and despite a spirited defense by the numerically superior and well entrenched Indonesian forces, the United States was able to take control of Jakarta, as well as several other population and administrative centers, and then it settled down with naval blockades on the known Indonesian resistance strongholds. Their strategy was clearly to set up government more friendly to US interests, and force the main holdouts from the old Indonesian government to concede or face intolerable bombardment and military harassment. Once organized resistance had fallen, the new Indonesian government could take command of the war-weary people, who would welcome it as their true government after the brutal war.

At least that was the plan. The international reaction to the American invasion was, for the most part, as one would expect. Europe condemned the reliance on war in this enlightened day and age, but did not explicitly blame the United States, and shortly after the invasion it began to dutifully send peacekeeping forces under a banner of neutrality to Indonesia to alleviate the suffering there. China grumbled a bit about American imperialistic aggression and opposed the invasion, but made no move to interfere.

It was the Islamic Confederation's reaction that was initially perplexing. Rather than declare a holy war against the American aggressors, the central Confederate authorities initially limited their retaliation to diplomatic condemnation of the attack. Some individual nations within the Islamic Confederation pressed for a joint declaration of war, but as a whole, the Confederation stayed out of the conflict.

This political stance caused some anger among the citizens of the nations in the Confederation, but some political commentators noted that there was similar irritation among the higher tiers of power in the US that the Confederation - and, specifically, the IISP - had avoided entangling itself in the war. If anything, the operations of the IISP seemed more robust than ever, as their large facility in the orbit of Venus continued to expand rapidly.

In early 2098, a revelation was made. Sent to Venus on a hunch, an automated US spy craft caught a glimpse of something the IISP had intended to keep secret awhile longer. It was the Hakam, which would soonafter be revealed as one of the Confederation's new Sharia class destroyers.

The discovery was met immediately by the Islamic Confederation's dropping of all peaceful pretense. It declared war on the United States and launched two main offensives. In the west, a massive combined force was launched from Saudi Arabia through Jordan and into Israel, overwhelming the defenders there with surprise and sheer weight of numbers. The attack was intended to seize Israel before the United States, whose military was mostly occupied in Indonesia, could move reinforcements to the other side of the world to aid in the defense. In this, it was successful, though Israel was able to launch several of its nuclear missiles in desperation. The Confederation's anti-ballistic missile systems (many of which were set up by the IISP) were able to stop any of these missiles from hitting their intended targets, which may have been fortunate for both the Confederation and the United States, as a truly nuclear war would clearly hurt both of them.

In the east, a long prepared attack was finally carried out, as a second combined force was launched from Bangladesh by a naval invasion into the western portion of the Indonesian archipelago, reinforcing the resistance there and driving the Americans from several of their strongholds, including Jakarta itself. Finally, the IISP also sent the Sharia class destroyers it had assembled at Venus on a course towards Earth. Though America recalled most of its destroyers from Infinitas as soon as it sighted the Hakam, the Stigma journey would take longer than the Confederate force's journey from Venus to Earth, and the Confederation had 4 destroyers to America's 5 at Sol - not a desirable number for a nation that was used to overwhelming odds in its favor.

So, the Islamic Confederation proposed an ultimatum to the United States - that unless America withdrew its forces from Indonesia and ceased interfering in the Confederation's matters, the Confederation would respond by doing everything in its power short of nuclear holocaust to wreck the United States and its fledgling interstellar empire. The United States flatly refused, and the war began in earnest. The Confederation let it be known that they sanctioned attacks even against American civilians, to break their will to fight - a controversial move, and one that reduced sympathy for the Confederation abroad, but it did result in a sharp increase in terrorist attacks against the United States, which could only be partly mitigated by increased security measures.

The first actions of the United States against the Islamic Confederation were to destroy their IISP facilities with cruise missiles and bombing runs. While the IC was unable to put up much resistance against these attacks, it had bought enough time to move many of its IISP resources to Venus, and so the damages were not as crippling as they could have been. The United States also used its destroyers to easily knock the Confederation's artificial satellites and space stations out of orbit, greatly complicating communications for the Confederation, and proving that military occupation of space was an important factor in modern warfare. The United States used a similar policy on Infinitas, sending the destroyer Justice, which had stayed behind, to destroy the artificial satellites around the jovian planet of Portunes, which the Confederation had designated as Zakat, and to keep any craft from leaving the colonies on its moons.

By the time the Confederate fleet arrived at Earth, the American one had done all the damage it could do to the IC's orbital assets. Yet days before the fleet's arrival, the Chinese fleet also deployed to the skies above the United States. America sternly requested that the Chinese move back to their side of the planet, lest they get caught in the crossfire of the battle, to which the Chinese replied (in typical Chinese manner) that they were undergoing a scheduled training exercise, and that they would be staying. As the Confederation fleet approached, America was forced to consider the possibility that the Chinese intended to declare war after the United States' fleet had been weakened, and easily pick off America's damaged and disorganized ships.

The Confederate fleet arrived, as calculated, above the continent of North America, in two groups of two. Amateur astronomers across the country watched as the American ships rushed to meet them - leaving one ship behind to keep the Chinese fleet in check. The first battle to be fought in space erupted while the world held its breath. Waves of missiles shot by both sides collided in the vacuum, creating plumes of fire and shrapnel, but the few that met with an opposing ship dealt significant damage. Then the coilguns fired, sending heavy slugs of metal piercing through the void, and those that hit easily crunched their targets, opening gaping holes where they didn't simply shear their target in half.

A matter of hours later, six destroyers had either been sent to plummet into Earth's atmosphere or shattered to drift in orbit until someone could be bothered to clean them up. Three American and three Confederate craft had been destroyed, with the Liberty having been somewhat damaged by Confederate missiles. Meanwhile, the Sharia was left unchecked above the southern US with a coilgun too damaged to function, but it had plenty of missiles, which it launched at every American satellite in the vicinity. Eventually the Liberty and the Endurance converged to destroy the Sharia, but not before it could deal an appreciable degree of damage to the United States' orbital assets. Meanwhile, the Chinese continued with their "training exercise" peacefully, and no conflict came of it.

Not that that proved anything. A few weeks after the battle, the American reinforcments from Infinitas arrived, but the fear of a Chinese betrayal was too great to spare a few destroyers to go to Venus and destroy the Islamic Confederation facility there. So, the United States continued building ships, confident that it could outpace the much more limited industrial facilities on Venus.

On the ground, the United States' first objective was the liberation of Israel. To this end, it moved much of its navy west, and, in 2099, it was able to defeat the Confederate navy in the Red Sea and land a large liberation force in Israel from the Gulf of Aqaba. Once it was clear that the American force would not be stopped, Confederate forces fell back from Israel back into Saudi Arabia to hold against the expected invasion - and they brought much of Israel's nuclear arsenal with them.

But the United States' strategy was still to focus on the east, and it contented itself with holding Israel and using it as a base to harass the Confederation forces in Arabia. By 2100, the United States had started to reclaim the Indonesian territories that had been recaptured by the Islamic Confederation, but it was slower going. The combined forces of the Confederation faced logistical difficulties from Iran and India's neutrality, but their weight of numbers and dedication to the war made things very difficult for the Americans, who were beginning to tire of the bloody struggle.

Over the early 2100's, slow progress was made, as the United States eventually cornered and defeated the amassed navies of the Islamic Confederation to firmly reestablish naval dominance. In 2103 it retook Jakarta, a sign of the increasing momentum of its second great offensive, and by 2105 it had regained control over almost the entirety of Indonesia - "control" in this case meaning that the main strategic centers were under American control, and substantial pockets of rebellion were isolated and being chipped away. Meanwhile its rebuilt fleet of destroyers dwarfed that of the Confederation, which was preparing at Venus for a final confrontation.

The Islamic Confederation had fought valiantly against a much more powerful foe, and damaged the great superpower in ways that were not thought possible. Yet it was surviving on borrowed time, and resources were running thin. The collapse of the Confederation was not far off, and it would remain to be seen whether or not it could avert disaster by any means.

Player Instructions 2/27/08

This turn will introduce another way for players to get involved in the game. Players can take control of more minor entities and, if they get the consent from the greater powers that control the Stigma skimways, they can independently colonize other systems. These entities could be minor nations, but they could also be corporations or other types of organization. I reserve the right to veto, of course, but creativity is encouraged here. This, combined with the opening of more governor slots over the next couple of turns, should result in more players being able to get involved.

(Map and commentary will be posted after the stats have been updated.)

19. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Here's the updated map. Not much else to say this time, except to apologise for the great delay. Still, overall, I'm happy with the update. Conflict always makes for interesting situations, you see. :p

Attached Files:

20. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

To: China

We request the rights to travel through Damen. Europe has never made moves to block other nations from its space, and requests China to do the same.

It would be a tragedy unparalleled in history if the newly discovered lifeforms 009-108 are damaged by colonization. We plead you, slow down your colonization until humanity can study the marvels of this new world.