1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Chandrasekhar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Intrude: Tears for space-squid but not a word about the unprovoked invasion of Israel to steal nukes (for blackmail, assuredly), rampant targeting of civilians, and a Chinese fleet hovering ominously over America during a war? You are the worst pacifist ever. :p

2. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

I have already been said to denounce those things in the update.

3. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

OOC: [EDIT] Pft, no, you didn't. You denounced the initial American intervention and nothing else. :p

That is the last mention of Europe in the update.

Anyway, taking Russia. Statements to come soon.

4. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

Official Transcript
    President Aleksandr Volkov
    Televised and Netcast Address
    Original Air Date: 1500GMT, Dec. 29, 2104AD
    Broadcast From: The Kremlin, Moscow, Russian Federation

Good afternoon, fellow sons and daughters of Mother Russia, and to the world at large.

I am speaking to you today as the result of a culmination of two separate yet distinctly important events in the history of the Russian people. As all of you no doubt know, our country has for the past several decades been preoccupied with reconstruction following the disastrous civil war of the past century, and in restoring Russia to its rightful place among the preeminent world powers. Together, we have made great progress! Our forefathers would be proud at what we have achieved.

Today I announce to you, brothers and sisters, the crowning achievement of our efforts: Russia now has within its possession a prototype space-drive taking advantage of the Stigma phenomena which is every bit the equal of its international competition in capability.

With this technology come new opportunities for the Russian people to join their foreign peers among the stars. It is only too fitting that Russia, the first nation to achieve manned spaceflight in human history, should join them and prosper. I have today signed into law legislation calling for a comprehensive plan by the Russian Federal Space Agency, Roskosmos, as regards reestablishing a Russian space presence and tying together both the federal and private sectors to ensure that a return to space is a logistical and economical goal. It is a goal we are ready to achieve, and a dream we have long needed to fulfill. It is my sincerest pledge that under this Administration, Russia shall again walk the stars.

However, with such progress and power come also responsibilities. Russia, while attending to her dreams, must also attend to her responsibilities. Currently the most serious such responsibility is the arising and necessary eradication of a clear and present danger to this country, to its people, and to the entire world. I speak to you of the collection of rogue states known as the Islamic Confederation.

This so-called coalition is single-handedly to blame for the greatest acts of warmongering of our age. Their crimes have become almost too numerous to list. Among these, the greatest travesties of all can be counted as their call for and backing of the deliberate targeting of civilian infrastructure and civilians themselves for the aim of conducting their war; their unprovoked and unlawful invasion and occupation of Israel; their theft of Israeli nuclear weapons for the purpose of atomic blackmail against those who would stop them; and their bringing of conflict to space in Low Earth Orbit with potentially deadly results to all future unshielded launches from Earth.

My counterparts in the European Union and indeed my peers among the world community have been inexplicably silent. This is inexcusable. These acts are intolerable, and unforgivable. I, as President of the Russian Federation, make it known that both I and the Russian people will not tolerate the presence of a group of two-bit thugs and terrorists upon our borders, lest they turn their insanity upon us.

With these grave security concerns in mind, I officially announce that I have asked for and received a Declaration of War upon the Islamic Confederation by the Duma. As of this moment we are in a state of war. Our Ambassador in Washington D.C. has been ordered to begin talks with the American President as regards the best way of coordinating our forces to remove this insane cabal from power and restore order to the Middle East and Southeast Asia. Our objective is nothing less than the total dismantlement of all government structures of the Islamic Confederation and the bringing of the perpetrators of this warmongering to justice.

I also wish to make it clear to our opponents that any use of captured Israeli Nuclear, Biological, or Chemical weapons against the Russian people, Russian soldiers, any asset of the Russian Federation, or Russian allies--or the continued usage of indiscriminate attacks upon civilian populations thereof--will be met with immediate and overwhelming response by this nation.

Good day, and God bless Mother Russia.

5. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

I don't think you can take Russia. You can only be a governor as only 4 countries in Earth are allowed for players. Oh and it seems you can also join in as a private company or smaller nation that was allowed by the big four to colonize.

May I be Israeli remnants? Or a private American company please? Either way I'm asking America for the stigma technology.

6. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

OOC: I have also already been in conversation with, and gotten approval from Chandrasekhar.

7. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

In this case, Russia technically qualifies as a "smaller" nation. :p While it'll need a greater power's permission to use the Stigma skimways at first, it's significant enough that it could certainly be counted as a player even on the off chance that it's denied this permission.
    In either case, you'd have to make certain that America is looking for a partner in colonization. If so, then you'd certainly be allowed to take such a position.

Edit: Improbable crosspost with Symphony.

8. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Well if not America then Europe.

And if not either can i try to use stigma without the skimming? (Longer, but possible?) or take over IISP skimming machines?

9. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

The IISP hasn't gotten a chance to make a skimming device (yet, I suppose I should say), but yes, if you happened to pick a nation with an advanced enough space program to be capable of Stigma travel on its own, and no one minded you landing on a planet that they've already claimed, it could be done. Those may be tough requirements to meet, however.

10. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

OOC: Am I the only one who sees the improbability and absurdity of Israel even thinking of launching a space program when it was just invaded, had its entire military obliterated (consider the structure of the IDF when thinking about that), was occupied, then counter-invaded by America, and even now remains a mostly decimated front line outpost in the first major global conflict since World War II?

No? Good. :p Maybe after a decade or two of rebuilding, when the war's finally actually over.

11. erez87

erez87 Lord of Random

Well thats why my second idea was a company...

12. Fuschia

Fuschia A Little Odd

OOC: Good, good, everything worked well. I'll get some diplo up much later today, I have things to do now.

13. Shadowbound

Shadowbound Incorrugible

May I be the Governor of 072-245, Iggy, assuming you're going to colonize it this turn?

14. Azale

Azale Deity

The colonial governor of 009-108 urges his leaders to outright reject any proposal by the Europeans. We have spent many resources and untold amounts of money to secure a Chinese-only planet in 009-108.

Perhaps we could negotiate a deal where they can acquire some of the other planets in the system, but the aqua planet is Chinese.

15. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

OOC: Fuschia, do you really think you can beat the Americans?

16. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Very well, I'll be more explicit.

The European Union repeats its condemnations of the use of violence, particularly the attempted nuclear attacks. We will be willing to host a peace conference in a neutral site.

If no one else wishes to claim it, and if I do get around to colonizing it, yes.

Our concern is not about Europe wanting to colonize this planet, but the incalculable costs of potentially irreversibly damaging the first ever discovered alien ecosystem.

17. Fuschia

Fuschia A Little Odd

To: The World

The Islamic Confederation is issuing this statement as a refutation of the blatant lies and political maneuvering of the Russian Federation. Their first charge is that of warmongering. This is obviously not the case. If one were to look at the facts, it is obvious who started and continued this war: the United States of America. They initiated the conflict in Timor; we asked them to leave, but they refused. They invaded Indonesia; we asked them to leave, but they refused. These actions were, in all intents and purposes, a declaration of war against Indonesia, the Islamic Confederation, and Allah Himself. Even when we decided to retaliate, we clearly gave them the chance to extricate themselves from Indonesia, and they refused. All of these actions point towards a want for peace, not one of war.

The second charge pressed against is that of specifically targeting civilians and civilian infrastructure in the process of conducting our war. In response to this, we must acquiesce that it is true. However, considering our position, you may realize that this is our only option when the other major powers of the world seem content to allow the United States of America to repeatedly overstep its boundaries. The Islamic Confederation faced, and still faces, an overwhelmingly superior and insatiably aggressive enemy. We cannot hope to win by conventional means, as these would simply lead to our defeat, and defeat means nothing but total destruction, as shown by the United States of America's treatment of Indonesia.

Therefore, the Islamic Confederation will use all possible means to secure the independence of the followers of Islam, which are, each and every one, our people and our greatest consideration, regardless of which nation they hail from or which side they fight on. If this requires the destruction of civilian infrastructure and the death of civilians, then so be it. Even if it requires the complete irradiation of the world, so be it. Defeat is not an option, as it will move from war and occupation to outright genocide, as the United States of America has shown itself capable of in at least one instance. All things are possible with Allah, and all of these shall be utilized.

As for your third charge, that of stealing nuclear, biological, and chemical weapons from Israel, this we also do not deny. Ultimately, however, all of our actions have been forced by the United States and its obvious need for war and destruction; if you wish to find the culprit, look to them, and them only. It is they who started this war and, if we have to, we will ensure that their will be no winners at all. Even if it requires terrorism. Even if it requires the detonation of nuclear weapons. We will ensure the freedom, safety, and equality of Islam on its home world and throughout the galaxy.

Moving beyond our rhetoric for a moment, we choose to leave you with a small bit of pragmatic device. If you wish to live, if you wish your people to live, if you wish this planet to, indeed, be inhabitable at all, you will use every possible mean to reach an acceptable diplomatic solution between the Islamic Confederation and the United States of America. As this statement shows, we will not give up, as surrender means total destruction. We will, if necessary, detonate all of our nuclear weapons within our own territory and make this entire planet unlivable so as to allow for Islam's victory on other planets.

We are sure that no sane nation wishes this to happen; neither does the Islamic Confederation. We do not wish to carry out our threat, although we will if necessary. Our wish for peace is the one foremost in our minds at all times, following only behind the cause of Allah and the needs of the Muslims as a people. This means that we will accept only this as an acceptable peace: the United States of America will withdraw from Indonesia and recognize it as a nation whose territorial integrity shall not be breached; the United States of America will recognize the Islamic Confederation as not only a nation, but the servitors of the Islamic people, and will ensure that any Muslim within the borders of the United States of America is treated with dignity and equality; the United States of America will apologize for its attacks upon Indonesia. Once these conditions are met, peace will be agreeable. If they are not met, we will continue upon this path of mutually assured destruction on one planet in the hopes of victory upon other planets. That is all.

OOC: No, but I can assure that America will not win. Neither will we, of course, but that is of only mild importance. ;)

18. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

Ah yes, very good. I'll have some diplo and such to do later tonight.

19. North King

North King blech

OOC: I'm interested in taking control of a corporation. Something involving development of frontier systems, no doubt. Does that sound all right, Chandra?

20. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

Yeah, that would be entirely fine, so long as you can get a great power's consent to use their Stigma skimways.