1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Pre-ChaNES: Into the Void

Discussion in 'Never Ending Stories' started by Chandrasekhar, Dec 16, 2007.

1. Head Serf

Head Serf Emperor

North King, you have access to America's current technology if you'll base yourself here.

2. North King

North King blech

I'm intending to be based entirely off-world, though I'd be very happy to work through American and European (and, honestly, any free market nations') channels and improve the livelihood of their citizens, blah blah blah. :)

3. Niklas

Niklas Fully Functional GOTM Staff

To: European Union

We share your wish to make an exhaustive study of the life on 009-108C. We would welcome European scientists to the planet to study the lifeforms in their natural habitat, and propose a joint biological research program.

To: The world

China's position regarding Damen is unwavering. We will not allow foreign colony or military ships to use our skimming facilities there, nor will we allow any other power to construct similar facilities. Civilian ships, including those survey and scientific craft, are welcome to pass.

OOC: Azale, did you pick a name of 009-108 yet?

4. Azale

Azale Deity

@niklas, I DID, but then I forgot it :p I should be able to rediscover it pretty easily.

5. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

To: China

We believe that closing off regions of space to colonial craft is a disagreeable thing. We believe the same regarding exclusive colonization. However, we would be most pleased to send scientific staff to research on 009-108C, to catalogue and study a whole new world's life and ecosystems, as well as uncovering how we may prevent continued damage from being dealt to the local lifeforms.

6. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

TO: World

Official Transcript
    President Aleksandr Volkov
    Televised and Netcast Address
    Simulcast on Wideband Radio Toward Middle East
    Original Air Date: 1600GMT, Jan. 12, 2105AD
    Broadcast From: The Kremlin, Moscow, Russian Federation

Good evening, my countrymen and the people of the world.

I am speaking to you tonight as a direct result of the recent press release by the Islamic Confederation. I am sure most of you have already read it, or will read it shortly after the conclusion of this speech.

Before continuing further, I want to make clear that Russia is no enemy of Islam. It is no enemy of the Muslims. Those debts were settled long ago. Similarly, after an extensive review, the Russian Press Service has found no evidence of anti-Muslim activity or commentary by the government of the United States of America. The incidence of hate crime against Muslims in the United States, even following the disgraceful attacks of the Islamic Confederation, are virtually non-existent. We believe it to be more than likely that those debts too were settled in the wars of the early 21st Century. We would like to believe that much as then, the West harbors no grudge against Islam, and it is plain to see to anyone with a modicum of objectivity that at no time has this nation or its newfound ally, the United States, made a religious issue of this war.

The only nation which has done so is the Islamic Confederation.

It has painted a picture of itself as the victim of religious persecution, and styles itself now a martyr, defending the rights of its faith by brandishing about nuclear arms, claiming if it cannot live then all must die. It says, while threatening total destruction, that it wishes only peace. It says it has been ganged up upon by the United States and Russia, that we are out to destroy Islam, that we are unbelievers and infidels before Allah, while we have until now not made a single mention of that faith.

This rhetoric may be found almost word for word in the declarations of Al Qaeda, Hamas, Hezbollah, and the dozens of other terrorist organizations which plagued the world in the late 20th and early 21st centuries.

If anything betrays the true nature of the Islamic Confederation, it is this simple comparison. However let us humor them for a moment. Let us consider their words and their actions on their merit, rather than reject them outright.

The root of this conflict, undeniably, is the separatist movement of the people of West Timor. Although it is true that the United States issued support that movement, it is an acknowledged human right by most nations on this world and others that people have the right to fair and just government. Did the Indonesian government attempt to mediate with these protesters? Did it attempt peaceful reconciliation then? No! It sent in soldiers and without a second thought initiated a violent crackdown on protesters. Where was its talk of peace then?

It is true that there were skirmishes between American-backed forces and the Indonesian military along the border of East Timor. It is also true, and regrettable, that America initiated a large-scale confrontation with Indonesia. Let me repeat that again for the benefit of those only marginally paying attention: with Indonesia. Although America did not extend peaceful measures in the manner it could have, it should be noted that it began a limited and regional conflict which would in previous times have been called merely a police action, and it did so as a result of Indonesian oppression of its own citizens and the Indonesian ultimatum that it be allowed to annex East Timor, a nation which has been independent from Indonesia for almost a century following a previous occupation by Indonesia following an incident eerily similar to this one which cost the lives of some two-hundred thousand people. Although American intervention is not to be endorsed, it is similarly clear that the Indonesian government's demands could not and should not have been granted.

This conflict ended with Indonesia's defeat. It was clear America was victorious. This entire incident could have ended then. The Islamic Confederation deliberately abstained from intervention. That is until the discovery of its space-weapons facility around Venus by American forces in 2098, upon which it dropped all pretenses of peace--the same peace it now advocates--and launched into motion an aggressive and unjustifiable war against Israel, which at no time had any stake in the affair against Indonesia, and conducted operations against American forces throughout the Indian and South Pacific theaters and finally over North American airspace.

Let me repeat this in a condensed fashion: when Indonesia was defeated, the Islamic Confederation feigned peace until its aggressive intent was discovered, and then started World War III--and make no mistake my friends, this is World War III, it is here whether you wish to recognize it or not. It stole nuclear weapons and is now using them to blackmail all other nations on Earth. Where is the philosophy of peace in these actions?

I believe it is clear to any member of any free-thinking society that the Islamic Confederation's claims of religious persecution and of future attempted genocide are a pack of lies designed to cover for what is clearly unjustifiable aggression.

The only nation which has attacked on religious grounds is the Islamic Confederation, and the only nation which has threatened anyone with genocide is the Islamic Confederation. These are not suppositions, but facts. It is clear that the government of the Islamic Confederation--not its people--are criminals who must face justice for their crimes.

I would like to take a minute however, to point out the most shocking thing said in this most recent press release. I quote:

I believe this makes clear the unmistakable the absolutely insane and genocidal ambitions of the Islamic Confederation against both the current participants seeking to contain the spread of conflict against all who do not follow their madness. This is a political matter, not a religious one, as has been demonstrated previously. The only set of nations calling this a holy war and planning for Armageddon is the Islamic Confederation. They have issued what is tantamount to a decree of a national suicide-bombing against the rest of the world. A term does not even yet exist to describe the stupifyingly horrific nature of this strategy.

This is unacceptable!

Even the most ardent of pacifists, or even the most self-interested of nations, and yes, I do speak directly of and directly to my peers in the seemingly impotent European Union and the apathetic People's Republic of China, cannot sit squabbling over some distant planet barely populated by vertebrates when our own homeworld has been threatened with nuclear ecocide by religious fanatics!

The Islamic Confederation says it will not carry out its threats if allowed a return to the status quo antebellum. That it will not to commit to the death of several millions of its own citizens and the citizens of both its enemies and neutral parties abroad with the detonation of nuclear weapons of presumably several tens to a few hundred nuclear weapons.

Are we to believe this madness? Are we to trust a coalition which escalated what was a regional conflict into a world war?

Are we to believe a coalition which, while preaching sovereignty and respect for religion, invaded the homeland of an established religion and pillaged it ruthlessly, without concern for human life for no other reason than to secure the means to the very atomic blackmail it now threatens us all with?

Are we to believe these oppressors, these murderers, these thieves, these despots, these hypocrites, these warmongers?

I do not. I can not. I will not.

Russia will not submit to this extortion by the Islamic Confederation. We will not live in the shadow of fear of nuclear annihilation. We will not stand idly by and allow the Islamic Confederation to inaugurate a second Cold War. Peace at any price is not a doctrine Russia shall adhere to. As an American once said, "Millions for defense, but not one cent for tribute."

We have lived through that paranoia, people of the world, and though you may not remember it, we do. From those experiences it becomes evident there are only two choices satisfactory to the benefit of man: live free or die free. We will not let the cowards and criminals commanding the Islamic Confederation shackle our people with the chains of radioactive oppression.

Dictators and terrorists through all time and in all places are the same. Concession to them, appeasement, means to them only weakness; weakness to be exploited again and again. The Europeans and the Chinese, and indeed all the nations of the world should well know this from their own national tragedies. We know it well. There was a time, my friends, almost 160 years ago, when another man, representative of a people he thought to be oppressed, undertook a great crusade to cleanse the world in fire and punish those he saw as the unbelievers, the oppressors, the enemies. I speak of course, of the Great Patriotic War. From basic history, we all know his people. We know his name. We know what he did.

I say unto you that the efforts and the words of the Islamic Confederation ring true to his teachings, the teachings of hate. That they would call their intentions peaceful is an insult to the word.

When the Indonesian government could have mediated peace with the West Timor rebels, it chose oppression and imperialism.

When the Islamic Confederation could have mediated peace with the defeat of Indonesia, it chose to stall so it could ready its forces for war.

When the Islamic Confederation could have mediated peace following American advances in Israel and Indonesia, it chose to blackmail the world with nuclear weapons.

This talk of peace... is nothing but a lie. It is a word from human language mimicked by the thoughtless barbarians in command of the Islamic Confederation who disgrace the name of the great people over whom they rule. I would not trust a man who embraced me with a bomb strapped to his chest and told me we would either be friends or we would both die. I remain similarly suspicious if instead of a man it is a nation.

The worst evil, people of the world, is not when evil is done by evil men. It is when good men stand by and do nothing to stop evil. Evil is here now. It has names. It has faces. It is the government of the Islamic Confederation. It is a threat not just to its own people, not just to the neighboring people, not even to the people of this whole world, our Earth, but to all mankind. What if it is allowed to spread its teachings? What then if it feels "threatened" again? Shall we repeat this scenario on ten worlds? A hundred? Peace cannot be attained through fear.

I encourage you, my friends, to join us in making a stand today, for we must stop this evil. We must set the right precedent for those who follow us. If your governments will not act, it is your duty, regardless of creed, blood, nation, persuasion, gender, or any other distinguishing attribute to defend your fellow man, and to defend the future of our species. Contribute in whatever way you can, for if we are to triumph against such a threat, we must all work together.

Good night, may God bless Mother Russia, and may God save us all.

7. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

OOC: Err, Fuschia, why do you have this crazy war strike. I mean, the world basically declared war on you in LUCKNES V, and now this?

8. Supermath

Supermath A Circle Has No End

Decloak: I have a feeling that this will end during the Pre-NES on the grounds that humanity will have blown itself up by then. ChaNES2: Rise of the Alien Squid, anyone?

9. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

The African Prosperity corporation. Established in the early 2040s, African Prosperity corporation was established with the goal of building a better Africa, and making a profit doing so. It has prospered, and succeeded in it's goal to make Africa prosper as well. Persoanly, it has been responsible for the collapse of over a dozen despotic governments in Africa, assisting and supplying the people under those governments what they needed to rebel, then assisting them in establishing a Democratic government in their nation.
    Now, the nations of Africa have called upon it again, to stand up and help them. to spread their people to the stars and ensure if Life on earth ends, their will be a future for their people and culture.

To USA, European Union, China
    From the African Prosperity corporation.
    several of the nations we serve have Expressed an interest in establishing small, independent colonies out there among the stars, in hopes of insuring a portion of their culture and people will survive should the world end. a possibility that is looking more and more likely by the month. we would Like to open up negotiation for the use of the Sigma Skimways, for a modest fee paid to you of course.

We will also be conducting some exploration of Saturn, and possibly establishing a small construction and research outpost. we have recently begun research into other effect of Sigma partials, and a facility well away from populated planets, along with the ability to build test-ships, would greatly speed up this work. we by no means wish to step on the toes of any of your nations.

10. sp1023

sp1023 Deity

Lurkers Comment: Judging from the current status of the world(s) in turmoil, I will expect this NES to get wiped out simply by too many warring nations blowing themselves to pieces.

11. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

OOC: not quite, their are already colonies well established enough to survive without earth, though that may be iffy.

12. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

OOC: Am I the only one who thinks it's funny only the lurkers are paying attention to, you know, potential impending nuclear holocaust, while all the players are talking about space squid and acquiring space technology when they very well might cease to exist shortly? Your priorities suck, people. Suck terribly. Learn how to roleplay, for godsakes.

No, lets try and buy our way off planet by giving countries money that will soon become meaningless because they'll be dead too! That makes sense. Maybe out of the charity of their hearts they'll give us some of their ships or engineers instead of evacuating their own people and building ships for them! In fact, you know, lets not try and avert crisis at all. Lets just pretend it doesn't exist, but assume it's inevitable!

Brilliant, brilliant plans on display here.

13. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

{Godwin! Godwin!!! :p

Edit: Super-crosspost.}

14. TerrisH

TerrisH Mischief?

OOC: they are building thier own ships, with sigma drives. the Skimways, which speed up the travle between the stars and require a second sigmadrive on the other end, that is what i am wishing to buy use of.

15. a_propagandist

a_propagandist The Light Brigadier

Is the JOAT tech open to Valhalla?

16. Supermath

Supermath A Circle Has No End

Decloak:He said almost 160 years ago, which puts it around the late 1940s. Therefore, it is not Hitler, but someone who came as a result of the PoD.

17. Chandrasekhar

Chandrasekhar Determined

I don't think that the population of Bacchus are trying to keep its schematics secret from their own government, so I'd expect it to be pretty easily replicable by the colonists on Asgard.

18. Lord_Iggy

Lord_Iggy Tsesk'ihe

Europe's involvement was peacekeeping forces in Indonesia on a humanitarian mission. We have repeatedly condemned the Islamic Confederation for its war crimes, and notes that its conduct in this war has given a definite moral high ground to the United States.

However, we do not believe that the remnants of the Confederation are going to use their Nuclear Weapons. We are trying to facilitate peace talks, even as other nations criticize us for our lack of offensive military action.

As long as this situation is salvageable without further war, we will do our best to secure such a conclusion.

19. Symphony D.

Symphony D. Deity

OOC: I'm technically not guilty, as I didn't specify precisely who I was talking about. For all you know, it could be Hirohito or Mussolini. :p Oh, and yeah: get on MSN, as I need to discuss something with you immediately.

Almost is an unqualified modifier and this is assumedly a translation from Russian. :p The POD only goes to 2007.

On the presumption everyone dies. In which case they won't need money, because they'll be dead. You're trying to buy your way off what you perceive to be a sinking ship. Why would anyone let you, when you're not trying to help bail it out instead of trying to save your own sorry skin?

20. North King

North King blech

Chandra, two things: 1) What kind of background/stats do you want me to come up with as regards my corporation, and 2) what kind of ships are available to civilians at this point (preferably sigma capable), and if not available, how much would it cost to develop a fairly cheap craft for intersystem business purposes?

Also, since I've forgotten and can't find it, are we spending actual money at this point in the game?