Pre-Invitation to a long-term, epic, huge roleplaying game

I have been waiting for long-term RP type game like this to come around.

Count me in if there are any available openings.

*rubs his hands together slowly*

on the map issue, Terra might be interesting. Provides a sub-plot of exploration and colonization

I was planning to allow mixed leaders--so you can choose whichever leader you like, and pair with whichever civ you want.

The pitboss currently has a bug which does not allow this to be implemented, however. So, one more reason we have to wait until the bugs have been smashed.

on the map issue, Terra might be interesting. Provides a sub-plot of exploration and colonization

I've been testing with the "hemispheres" map script--set to three continents, low sea level. It seems to do a good job at creating natural-looking, semi-balanced continents much better than the old "continents" script did. Plus, it mixes islands into the fray, which make for additional colonization or for setting up remote outposts from which to launch an invasion.

With three continents, that should result in 6-6-5 on each continent. That could be interesting, I think?!

Or maybe we should consider four continents...

uh oh...I worry about the leader + nation combo!

For RP purposes I would prefer random, but it's your call hombre! :D

On the map front. I had one terra game where the barbarians on the 'new world' were massive. Some foolish civ had invaded with riflemen and still gotten their butts kicked. So at first my guys were happily staving off longbowmen and Horse archers, next thing I know over a dozen Riflemen and a seemingly unending stream of reinforcements drives my colony back into the ocean!

I just played another that a really interesting series of islands to the south of the old world, and then a resource rich new world with a ton of barbarians (but not too tough this time). Both the Islands and the new world had abunch of unique resources to reward those who explored and colonised.

You can still choose random for your own, if you want. I think most people like to pick the leader/civ that best matches their playing style though (I know I do!).

I don't think this should impact roleplaying at all though.

When the time comes, I think I'll randomly pick a leader myself, then let you know which one has been chosen for me, rather than you having to deal with randomizing (which is a pain to set up, and then do the logistics of getting people to take the right civ, etc). :D

I would definitely be interested in this game, *especially* if it's Epic. :) I also would give a big vote to No Tech Brokering rather than disabling it entirely, as well as choosing religions (minor point, doesn't affect gameplay, and can help roleplaying).

I don't care if everyone must be random, but I'll play as random myself.

FWIW, my votes for the options are:
Huge map using big&small or hemispheres, 3-4 continents. I'd suggest medium sea level to it's unlikely galleys are able to cross between continents.

No tech brokering - removing tech trading completely would restrict the game too much I feel.

I'd prefer not to limit the victory conditions. A civ's strategy should evolve depending on conditions. Besides, the BTS space race looks fun :)

Also, the starting era isn't mentioned. You can still have an advanced start on Ancient era which gets my vote.

Permanent alliances - I think it may be interesting to enable these in the game, (ie. not predesignated teams, but it cna still allow two small civs to ally later on).

Deliberate double-moves should not be allowed - I would assume all players can play as gentlemen (or ladies!)

If there is still room, I would like to join. Sounds very promising, especially the role playing part.

Forester--thanks for the suggestion, although since I'm not going to be setting this game up until probably the beginning of September (due to massive bug patching needed, and also personal timing on my part), I'd wager that we might have some turnover; people who may have to back out before that time.

Since I am going to be setting up a separate forum dedicated to this game (we should think of a name for this game, and I'll register a fitting name), what I think I will do is post in this thread when the forum has been installed, and the first 18 (well, 17 including myself!) who register will be admitted to the game.

It does sound like we have more interest than space for this game--I regret that means some won't be able to join--but I'm hoping this will be the most "fair" approach.

In the mean time, make sure you are subscribed to this thread, so you will receive notification when I post the link to the forum (if I get time this coming weekend I'll do so).

stay tuned...

dribnairb -- a convincing argument, thank you for the input! I concur with most of your requested settings. I've play-tested in single player and it seems like 3 continents in a Hemispheres map, with Varied Continent types, medium water level, would be a nice fit.

It's less land than I usually like, but in this game it might be a blessing not to have too many immediate neighbors! Especially with my newbie playing skills.

Yes, the starting time will be ancient (I hadn't even thought to mention that; I never play with anything other than ancient).

No Tech Brokering does seem like a good compromise, for allowing the most out of the multiplayer game. Likewise with the victory conditions.

I'll update the original post with these settings.

Oh, did I forget to mention that one of the rules is: you can't attack Capsavian, unless he is much stronger than you? LOL

whiplash -- yes, we really have no choice but to wait; there are quite a number of bugs remaining to be looked at. Just read the BTS bug report list on these forums. Some of the bugs are true show-stoppers, unfortunately.

Troymk1-- Thanks for the suggestion. Any others to add to that?

hmmm how about "Struggle of Empires" (A Boardgame I own by Martin Wallace)

name-wise. How about...The Odyssey

Gets my vote. An adventure and lots of story telling. :)

Capsavian - when are you thinking of starting? I am heading out this Wednesday for a 3 week trip to Tibet and Everest Base Camp. I am back on the 28th.

If you are going to be starting in that period - can you let me know now, so I can get someone to play the first part of the game. Thanks.

whiplash -- yes, we really have no choice but to wait; there are quite a number of bugs remaining to be looked at. Just read the BTS bug report list on these forums. Some of the bugs are true show-stoppers, unfortunately.

Well, I'm in a BtS PitBoss game being hosted by a member of the Firaxis Q/A team; the bugs haven't deterred him.

I've looked over that thread, and admittadly didn't review it all but, I don't see any "show-stoppers". Quite the opposite; the bugs look so trivial that I would not expect Firaxis to be in a hurry to squash them. Waiting for the next patch may be a big waste of time.

What "show-stoppers" do you see?

Forester--thanks for the suggestion, although since I'm not going to be setting this game up until probably the beginning of September ...

Missed that. :) I'll be back by then, but won't be able to add to the set-up discussion over the next few weeks.

Top Bottom