Pre-NutraNESIII: Heirs of the Dragonborn

EDIT:

Wit Hemel / Immaculate
Wit Hemel s'Kwaad
Cunning
Yaburu

Registration closed for the moment! Map forthcoming! Rules following that!

edit: Also, Immaculate, which one would be your character's first name?

I like the title. Very... appropriate to my plans. :D

Spoiler A Teaser For You Guys :

Now all I need to do are the cities and province boundaries/webs. I'm not sure which style I want to do atm. Provinces would mean I could detail more than just settlements, flesh out the world a bit and make it less boring for me as I have the chance to world build more, while webs would make it more strategic and such. :~I

Nitpick: Shouldn't at least some of the mountain areas be... bigger and thicker? They look odd when they're all fairly thin, long mountain ranges. Whereas the rest of the world looks flat, even if that's probably just stylistic.

Spoiler :

Finally happy with how the map looks. It will be done by tonight.

pretty

Yaaa- I know this will be done soon, but seeing how big this world seems to be I really have to wonder where are we. :p

Oh, yes, you guys are on the middle island. Yaburu occupy the southern and largest Island, Zawi the smaller island to the north, and Wazsaja occupy the chain of islands/the larger island on the northwest. The location is central so you all can simultaneously hit all three landmasses. It also divides up the campaigns nicely!

The world really isn't that large. The map represents an area on the southern hemisphere that is a little smaller than the size of western Europe (spain-germany). About 350,000 square miles.

So do you have particular locations on these islands chosen for us or something?

I would like to be along the south-east coast (coastal side of the mountain) with a fishnig/trade tribe... yes?

So do you have particular locations on these islands chosen for us or something?

Well your locations on the middle island will mean diddly squat because Update 0 will see players beginning conquest in the three other landmasses! Starting right off in the middle of the action.

I would like to be along the south-east coast (coastal side of the mountain) with a fishnig/trade tribe... yes?

See above--nothing on the island can be 'owned'. The map will be divided up into provinces and players will begin the game w/ provinces in one of the three continents. Players can claim what continent they want now, though it may be best to wait till I'm finished with everything--which should SHOULD be today. I have to sign off on a new car this afternoon and take my mum out to dinner to celebrate her birthday, but I have some spare time inbetween and all of tonight to work.

Spoiler :

I'm being very fickle about how the map looks, though. D: So hard to get just right. I should just say screw it and get the map NES-worthy.

Well, do you want me to nitpick some more? :p I think my earlier complaints about mountains might still apply to those... ocean trenches, I think? Not sure, though. Also, some of the areas look a bit too homogenous, and I'm not sure if blinding white deserts (in the south) are good aesthetically.

Nitpicking always helps! The extreme south is supposed to be snow. Let me modify it to be a bit grayer? Ocean trenches? What ocean trenches? There aren't supposed to be ocean trenches! Let me blue everything up a bit.

What areas specifically look homogenous or should I go over sporadically with a brush.

Spoiler :

Here's a preview of what cities will look like. Each icon represent that city's 'settlement level'. More on that later, though!

The extreme south is supposed to be snow.

Ha. I kind of thought it might be, then dismissed it as unlikely. :p

Ocean trenches? What ocean trenches?

Well, those lines underwater. I'm honestly not sure, I'm probably forgetting something obvious here. The bottom line is, they look weird. :p

What areas specifically look homogenous or should I go over sporadically with a brush.

That can't hurt, but this particularly applies to the thicker jungles and the... semi-forested areas, I guess? Those latter ones are especially weird. They seem to have too smooth a transition, and then they kind of fade away. At the same time, I'm not even sure whether they're supposed to be grasslands or forest steppes or whatever.

Spoiler :

I have puzzled it out and I have figured out movements! Players will move via 'flags'. These are the paths players need to take to get from point A to point B. Each army will have a number of 'flags' they may move per turn, this is determined by the lowest moving unit in the army. Players generally will not be able to see NPC's more than 2 flags ahead of them, keeping things... interesting. Players can also opt to 'settle' flags if they please the Queen & Prophet enough (or some other place, but more on the settlement mechanics later). Progress!

Isn't that a bit arbitrary? What if a player wants his forces to take another route for some reason?

Yes, it is arbitrary, but it will lead to gameplay that is easier to mod.

EDIT: HOWEVER. If there is a large player consensus then I'll do away with the flags mechanic and just opt for the traditional 'free-form' map. I'm not THAT much of a tyrant.

Spoiler :

Cities complete! Names next, then flags.

All the settlements will have names (daunting task, yes), and each will have its own stats, but these stats are very streamlined.

Template:
Name; Owner; Size (EP base determined by size + modifiers); Prosperity; Tribute Rate (Tribute Total); Slot 1/2/3; Defenses Outer/Defenses Inner/Garrison Type; Special Notes (UU's, Happiness, modifiers, etc)

Example;

Ror; Queen & Prophet; Town (50EP); 85%; 85% (36EP); Medium Rice Terraces(+15EP)/- High Stone Walls/Palace/Queen's Honor Guardx5; (UU: Queen's Honor Guard) (Devotedly Loyal, Growing) (Volcanic Soil, +5EP to agricultural buildings)

What this means is that the city in question, Ror, is owned by the Queen and Prophet themselves. It is only a town and makes 50EP unmodified. It's fairly prosperous, taking in 85% of its unmodified income and the tribute rate is just as high, taking in 85% of the income as modified by the prosperity (so 85% of 85% of 50). The city has a high agricultural income and it's boosted by the volcanic soil around the city. It does not have it's second building. It has high stone walls (meaning siege units are needed to break the city), a Palace at its heart (meaning reduced civilian deaths when the actual battle comes, they hide in the palace), and it is garrisoned by 5 of the Queen's Honor Guard--a Unique unit and a damn fine one at that. The town is devotedly loyal to the Queen & Prophet and this loyalty is increasing.

A lot of information in just a few short lines! I try to err on the side of descriptive stats in things such as buildings and defenses so that players can imagine creative things to construct/ways to destroy and leave me with a lot less number crunching to do.

Let me talk on units for the moment. They are going to be pretty basic. If you look at the map you'll see that there are different icons all around the maps. These icons represent the settlement's general culture group. Each culture group will have about 3 to 4 basic units and once a player conquers the town they'll have access to that culture's pool (recruitment is done automatically unless the player specifies otherwise, poorer settlements/castles will tend to offer tribute in more units than EP and larger settlements will tend to be angered if they are demanded to give up more units than EP). Unique Units are, well, unique. Certain settlements may have unique units that are apart from the stock culture group, making these settlements pretty nifty targets. Downfall is these settlements tend to be garrisoned by the unique units making them harder cities to conquer. Here's an example of a unit's stats

Wazsaja Brute
Melee
3:c5war:/2:c5strength:/1:c5capital:/3:c5moves:/1:c5goldenage:

The Wazsaja Brutes have 3 strength, can lose 2 times before being wiped out, have 1 experience right off the bat (making them veterans), can move 3 flags per turn, and benefit by 1 from 'Good Command'. Strength, experience, and command scores are added to a six sided die roll to determine their overall strength in a battle. 'Command Scores' are only added, however, when the unit is in an army that is composed well and lead by a successful and respected commander. More on that later.

Top Bottom