1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Preview: Star Trek Mod 2.0

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Star Trek Mod' started by deanej, Dec 27, 2008.

1. Agent327

Agent327 Observer

Warp 5 might be good/better. I'd suggest leaving Expl. I as is. It's quite customary to discover a tech when exploring and finding more advanced units shouldn't be considered that extraordinary IMO.

2. apenpaap

apenpaap Tsar of all the Internets

If you make a Warp 5 ship come out of the goody huts instead of a Exploration I, it'll encourage more exploring with it.

3. jfby

jfby Chieftain

My opinion would be to either have XP, credits, maps, or an enemy ambush awaiting in the wreckages. It's one thing to expect a small band of villagers to join your cause when playing on a terran map. It's quite another that someone would have a Constitution Class cruiser just waiting in the wing.

4. apenpaap

I have found another minor bug: if you start in a later era then the ENT era, you get the Subspace Corridors tech, even if you're not the Vaadwaur.

5. deanej

deanej Chieftain

OK, fixed that. Also, listening to the Vaadwaur diplo again, it sounds more like a broken file than good diplo music, so I've taken the former Dominion diplo music from the era music and gave it back to the Dominion, while the current Dominion diplo will be reassigned to the Vaadwaur.

6. jfby

jfby Chieftain

As it turns out it will be less work to just mod the new game for some files (unitinfos) and copy others. Will take awhile, but will be completely worth the effort. 2.0 looks great so-far!

7. TC01

TC01 Chieftain

Found an interesting bug/exploit/(feature?) in The Eugenics Wars, as the Aegis. This may be an intended feature, but no one's mentioned it so far, so:

The transport sequence unit is an invisible transport. It can move into enemy territory and over enemy units.

However, if I load a visible unit into the invisible transport, and, say, move it into an enemy city, the game tries to put a (loaded) visible unit and visible enemy units into the same plot at the same time, fails, and expells all the enemy units to a neighboring plot.

I then move my 15-speed unit out of the city, unload the unit, and take the city.

If you have enough units and Transport Sequences, you can do this to every city of a civ in one turn, defeat your enemy, and wipe out all their expelled forces, because they no longer control any cities.

Used this to (in one game) wipe out all three Eugenics civs in a couple of turns, (in another) to destroy a major civ in a turn.

Was this intended?

8. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Nope. It probably results from the fact that the game was not coded with land transports in mind (much less invisible ones). The thing is, loaded units are supposed to be invisible, but I guess the game does not compensate for that. I don't have the expertise to create a custom DLL capable of fixing this. I posted this in the unofficial patch thread - maybe they will fix this.

9. apenpaap

I just played the Millenium scenario until 2387, and it's a lot of fun. I have found that the trick to winning is building two stabases next to the wormhole. This means you can weaken Grigori ships coming through to the point were a Prometheus or Sovereign can finish them off. I did this really early, meaning the Grigori were no problem, and I just had the Bajorans to worry about. I took the Bajoran systems one by one, and the attack on Earth came when I had captured Bajor, New Bajor, Cardassia, and another system from them. The system flipping cost me two systems, but it wasn't too hard to reconquer them (especially since I had built 4 starbases next to the wormhole by this time, meaning any Grigori ships coming through were immediatly destroyed (BTW, a Great Engineer came through at one point). When a certain event involving the Romulans came around, the popup text was rather funny: it said the Federation and Klingons were in no condition to provide help, but the Grigori and Bajorans were. At that turn, I had conquered all but two Bajoran systems, and the Grigori ships were blown up as soon as they left the wormhole, while the Federation and Klingons both had huge empires . Anyway, this means I have a new enemy, which mean I'll havce something to do until 2401.
    Spoiler :
    The Hobus and Romulan systems were both OK, BTW. IMO, the Hobus system shopuld be replaced with a supernova, and the Romulan sysytem should be nuked.

10. deanej

deanej Chieftain

Looks like I forgot to have those systems destroyed. Will also rescale Ascendacy ship strength.