problem with 1 upt

hossam

Deity
wont it become tedious to have to move every unit singly as opposed to moving all your units in a single stack?:confused:

Well your not moving them around all the time arent you? :confused:

certainly no more tedious than scrolling through a stack of 50+ units to find the right one with which to attack. . .

And you're gonna have a lot less units and some will be dug into defensive positions so won't be moving that much anyway.

wont it become tedious to have to move every unit singly as opposed to moving all your units in a single stack?:confused:

No more tedious than making individual sandwiches rather than throwing a loaf of bread and a pack of ham and emptying a jar of mayo into a blender.

My point being that sometimes a little tedium is worth the effort. Neatly hole punchering your classnotes and slipping them into an arch file, is tedious but the end result of neatly organised notes is better than having them scattered over your bedroom floor, no?

If by tedious you mean less boring and more thought provoking, then yes...

I don't mind micromanaging my units' locations in single player, but it could be painfully annoying in multiplayer - especially if one plays a peaceful cultural game and has to wait ages for the warmongers to complete their unit-placement turns.

I hope they find a way to deal with this.

I think the extra effort is worth it. because of this effort, your placement of units and the paths of attack you take will be way way more important than in previous installments of Civ.

I believe the idea is that units will be more expensive and take longer to build, so you'll have fewer of them to manage. Also, since they each take up a tile of space, you will have finite room for them in your territory, so there's a sort of inherent cap on how many you can have.

Y'all don't play many 1upt games do you? A player by his second game can move their entire army while fighting a two front war offensively in about 7 or 8 minutes, and ciV isn't a pure combat game.

Yes, but you don't have to THINK about moving your troops in civ IV.

If there was no thinking involved, I wouldn't suck at war.
The only 'thinking' involved in Civ 4 warfare is really economic: All that really matters is what/how many units you build. Once your army is ready its almost entirely "Throw units at enemy, repeat, win/lose, repeat).

For long distance movement (especially involving armies containing units with different movement rates) some kind of group/formation-move function might useful. Remember not all unit moves will require deep tactical thought, that mostly happens at a front, but units also need to get there.

However i do expect 1 upt to be a big improvement to the game.

If ciV was simply cIV with nothing at all changed accept 1UpT then yes moving 100 military units one by one would be tedious.

But this is not cIV.5, ciV will not have anywhere near the amount of troops in previous civ's. This is because you are limited to only 5 swordsman per Iron resource you have, this will significantly reduce the number of units you need to move around.

Though you will probably be spending more time thinking about where to move your troops, because where you place troops in ciV will be very important, its not anything like cIV where you simply clicked a button to select 100 troops and move them towards a city, preferably to a hill next to the city if it had it, in ciV you will need to think about where your other troops are, where the enemy is and so on.

Put simply, ciV is not as simple as cIV. A little bit of tedium perhaps if you dislike strategic positioning but for this small price we get a more combat system with more depth of thought.
Even if you are going for peaceful cultural victory, you will still have an army and it wont be sitting in a city, so you may need to manover it at times. So you won't be waiting for warmongerors so much :p. Not anymore than in cIV anyway when a warring player had to assemble thier army by moving 100 troops from many cities into thier SOD. Which was a lengthy process.

If ciV was simply cIV with nothing at all changed accept 1UpT then yes moving 100 military units one by one would be tedious.

But this is not cIV.5, ciV will not have anywhere near the amount of troops in previous civ's. This is because you are limited to only 5 swordsman per Iron resource you have, this will significantly reduce the number of units you need to move around.

Actually thats not quite how it works, you get a certain amount iron, from an iron resource, and im pretty sure (although its a guess) taht this on a one on one basis with units.

So iron resource gives you say 3 iron, that allows you to build 3 swordsman.

This will allow the inclusion of bigger and smaller resources either from vanilla or from modding. (Big horse - 10 horse units, little horse - 3 units etc.)

It would be tedious if combat was more like civ4, where combat was handled in ways that were mostly symbolic, meaningless and not fun at all. In a system where positioning is of vital importance and you are challenged to think about each and every move I can see moving the units around as a lot of fun.

I'm sure there will be some way of grouping units, so you could group an army in halves and move the army a half at a time, make smaller groups (Cavalry, Siege etc) or even make the army one group and move it in one go.

The new combat system is what appeals most to me in Civ 5. :)

Top Bottom