problem with 1 upt

The real problem here is that now the AI programmers actually have to make the AI smart with their units at higher difficulties, if the resource cap is a significant factor. It's much easier just to let AI cheat, have more units, and call it good.

As a warmonger I support more strategy in my military decisions. Even on higher difficulty levels the AI is too easy to trick into moving his SOD into my well fortified killzone. The only real threat right now is an early rush or if I am not strong enough by late game and the rest of the civs team up to take me out. Stacking should definitely go away, right now numbers mean more than good strategy and its just an economic decision of how big should your army be not a tactical one.

Well said. I can't remember how many games I've played at emperor or immortal levels, and ALL the AI's declared war on me, sometime around the industrial age. Sometimes its been enough to make me throw my keyboard and walk away, seeing some ridiculous 90 unit stack coming rolling up your ass. On the other hand I've wiped similar stacks if I was well prepared with bombers and arty. Its either very frustrating or very satisfying, either way, can be a load of fun though.

The real problem here is that now the AI programmers actually have to make the AI smart with their units at higher difficulties, if the resource cap is a significant factor. It's much easier just to let AI cheat, have more units, and call it good.

Very true. Nearly all AI for all games up to this point have used similar tricks though. Its not like firaxis is behind the times. Their new concept of the 4 (or is it 5) tiered AI is really innovative and neat, I hope it works out. Really anything better than what we already have would be a pretty nice breakthrough, we'll have to wait and see.

Very true. Nearly all AI for all games up to this point have used similar tricks though. Its not like firaxis is behind the times. Their new concept of the 4 (or is it 5) tiered AI is really innovative and neat, I hope it works out. Really anything better than what we already have would be a pretty nice breakthrough, we'll have to wait and see.

Many "hardcore" gamers feel that there is a need for new games to have Artificial Intelligence that is actually...intelligent, instead of receiving unfair advantages. I agree though that a breakthrough in AI coding would change the future of gaming :scan:

Very true. Nearly all AI for all games up to this point have used similar tricks though. Its not like firaxis is behind the times.

I actually think Civ is one of the games were AI is very developed!

I've seen horrible AIs in very simple games. We have to remember that civ is a very complex game with lots of interactions and decisions to be made.

Half an hour at most? Is that really such a huge improvement?

In a 1UPT system your armies are assembled as you move them to the front.

Going from my experience with Panzer General, there are a couple of concepts that exist in 1upt that don't exist in Civ up til now.

One of them is that units can support each other, particularly artillery can support other units that are defending by having a free shot at the attackers before battle. Archers it seems will provide this functionality in the early eras in Civ5. Ranged units can also soften up the defenders before the main attack. On the other hand, ranged units tend to be weak on defense, so you have to screen them with other units so they don't get overrun by enemy fast moving units like knights and tanks.

The other is zones of control, units end their move if they move into a tile adjacent to an enemy. That wouldn't have made much of a difference so far in Civ, as the base movement of a lot of units was 1, but in Civ5 the base movement is 2 and everything will be a bit more spread out, so slowing down the movement of an invading army by a well placed hill fort could be very helpful.

In Civ III, units that could bombard got a free shot at the attacker when defending a stack.

I never understood why they took this out of Civ IV. Or why they got rid of range. Or why cavalry only have 2 moves (I miss the cav-pwnage :D). But honestly, I'm not cIV hatin'. I like it way more than 3 actually.

Top Bottom