Propaganda slogans

Lot of pretty cool and funny stuff I'll try some thinking of them as something with the precise purpose of convincing people to be or go to one affinity.

Harmony: Don't fight it, join it.
Supremacy: Your body is a prison, free yourself.
Purity: You are human, you are perfect.

What's your favourite affinity? Could good advertising persuade you to change your mind?

You're making a huge mistake here.

Thinking of affinities like Civ V civilizations is a horrible mistake, you do not choose your affinity pre-game.

Affinity is something you choose after you put down your first city and have a look-see on what resources you can get your grubby little hands on.

except, nobody said they were choosing their affinity pre-game. the question is, "what's your favorite," not, "which one will you pick?"

except, nobody said they were choosing their affinity pre-game. the question is, "what's your favorite," not, "which one will you pick?"

I play MMORPG's and is more concerned how my avatar looks than whatever he is doing +2 damage pr. hit, but this is civ fanatics, not the art fanatics forums...

Nothing in the thread even remotely suggest we are simply talking what look the coolest, so I'm going to keep assuming that we are talking from a strategy standpoint.

Awesome, MysteriousS!

Thanks kipwheeler!

Personally, I think 'Man is the Measure of All Things' is the best short purity motto. It's inspiring, ominous, and classy (either in english or latin). It also gets at an idea at the core of Purity: Why should humans pursue H or S if there won't be any humans left to reap the benefits? In a way, isn't the wish to transcend man a wish for the death of man? A wish for death?

In such a framing, Purity is the only non-nihilistic option (although I am sure the other affinities would disagree).

Thanks kipwheeler!

Personally, I think 'Man is the Measure of All Things' is the best short purity motto. It's inspiring, ominous, and classy (either in english or latin). It also gets at an idea at the core of Purity: Why should humans pursue H or S if there won't be any humans left to reap the benefits? In a way, isn't the wish to transcend man a wish for the death of man? A wish for death?

In such a framing, Purity is the only non-nihilistic option (although I am sure the other affinities would disagree).

It doesn't quite sound snappy enough and it doesn't seem to immediately imply that view to my eyes.

Then again, I may not have read enough lines using a "measure of" phrase to grasp the context well.

I think the OP's Harmony quote is an ideal to shoot for - a short and catchy line that simplifies a controversial philosophy to make it sound obvious and ideal.

It's difficult to make a distinction between a motto and a slogan.

I think "Homo mensura" is a perfect motto for Purity. While it would "evolve" a bit from the original meaning of the phrase, it evokes anthropocentrism, and a sense that there is an unmovable, absolute ideal of humankind. The use of latin sends back to the notion of tradition, and reminds of armed forces mottos, which give a hint ot totalitarianism.

It does work less well as a slogan, because it isn't catchy.

The line by the OP for harmony, "A new planet, a new life" is a perfect slogan that also works very well as a motto.

@Miravlix: this is just for fun. The idea of the thread is to find a slogan for the affinities, that is, something you could find in a poster trying to convince the population of a city to adhere to that ideology.

It doesn't quite sound snappy enough and it doesn't seem to immediately imply that view to my eyes.

Then again, I may not have read enough lines using a "measure of" phrase to grasp the context well.

I think the OP's Harmony quote is an ideal to shoot for - a short and catchy line that simplifies a controversial philosophy to make it sound obvious and ideal.

I admit "Homo Mensura Est" is limited in brief rhetorical impact (it only has two alliterative bits, "Man is the Measure," etc.). However, I'd say it's "snappiness" comes from the long set of embedded historical context--covering the sweep of western civilization. The historic figures using it include ....
  • the original Pre-Latin Greek (Pythagoras and Protagoras),
  • the Emperor Marcus Aurelius (Latin in Rome),
  • Thomas Aquinas (medieval),
  • to a ton of various Renaissance scholastic thinkers who use the phrase in their discussions of "The Chain of Being" (which puts man safely up at the top of the cosmological hierarchy, just under angels and God)
  • up until the Enlightenment, when Alexander Pope de-thrones it in "An Essay on Man."

What the quotation does it (a) embody the belief of Purity, while (b) reminding the viewer of 2,500 years of its influence in human history in only three words. Great advertising slogan for propaganda? Maybe not. (It's in Latin, after all!) Perhaps it might be better as "motto" rather than straight propaganda for a mass appeal?

Harmony: The one in OP is good, my own try would be "This Time we do it Right"
Purity: "Join the Stewards of Humanity"
Supremacy: "Progress Cannot be Stopped" or if you wanna paraphrase the bible "The Flesh is Weak, but the Spirit is Willing"(yes I know its completely out of context, but its a recognizable and cool line :)

Some of the slogans/mottos would be nice city names, I will defently rename a city to "Homo mensura est" when i play as purity, and as supremacy, Ian m banks "culture" ship names would be fitting for cities...

I play MMORPG's and is more concerned how my avatar looks than whatever he is doing +2 damage pr. hit, but this is civ fanatics, not the art fanatics forums...

Nothing in the thread even remotely suggest we are simply talking what look the coolest, so I'm going to keep assuming that we are talking from a strategy standpoint.

Wrong assumption. It's not even really about playing the game. It's about slogans that are trying to change people's minds about the affinities, possibly even in-universe. I know I'm looking at it in terms of myself being someone who just landed on Planet.

Supremacy: ...if you wanna paraphrase the bible "The Flesh is Weak, but the Spirit is Willing"(yes I know its completely out of context, but its a recognizable and cool line :)

Makes it even more propaganda-ish

"Unity in diversity" could be used by Harmony.

For the win conditions:

Supremacy: Immanentize the Eschaton
Purity: Land of milk and honey
Harmony: Elimination of the self

Top Bottom