Proposal: Enhanced Artifact UI

mnf

King
Detailed background info on Artifact Rewards:
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showpost.php?p=14021363&postcount=48

Proposal A

A popup UI element that runs all possible combinations of artifacts we already own, through the game's own reward selection routine, and list all the currently possible rewards in the UI. The player then simply has to choose the wanted reward to execute the cash-in, instead of always having to try out the combinations manually with the current drag-and-drop interface.

Since the UI makes use of the game's own reward selection logic, this has no impact on single player game balance (it does make reward selection much faster in MP games, giving a slight advantage).

Proposal B

Just modifications to the current artifact processing UI to expose additional information that otherwise could be known by manually keeping notes anyway:
  • each artifact shows on its card its preferred reward
  • if an artifact prefers a reward we already have, show it as so (e.g. "filler artifact" etc.)
  • list all possible rewards on the side and show effect summaries in their tooltips, then cross out/grey out the rewards we already have
  • as we add artifacts to the cash-in area, the list of possible rewards should get labels (e.g. ticks and crosses) to show how the artifact we currently have in the cash-in area will affect the possible outcome

Proposal C

Remove the drag-and-drop process altogether and just have a "DRAW" button that takes a random set of 3 artifacts currently in stock and show the result. Yes this is a joke.

I prefer Proposal B but I would also suggest consistent artifact recipes independent of random seeds.

I actually like that there are some variations introduced by using random numbers. The current system makes it quite possible to shoot for specific rewards if you put in the effort and know the underlying workings.

Proposal A doesn't change that underlying system. Proposal A is simply having the computer do that "drag-n-drop to see reward, drag-n-drop another to see reward, repeat until wanted reward pops" process for you.

For Proposal B, I think the simplest form would be simply to add in each artifact's preferred reward into the artifact library. That would reduce a lot of unnecessary trial and error while keeping the system and results completely the same.

This is what I have at the moment:

Not sure if anyone's gonna find this useful, though...

Top Bottom