PS4 CONTROLLER GONE HAYWIRE

David Young

Chieftain
Is anyone else having this problem? I have tried 2 different controllers - one purchased within last month or so - and am suddenly getting unpredictable cursor movements and controls. Flies off on left/right stick and ignores button presses. One save blew up but the others seem ok.

Moderator Action: Moved to Consoles forum. leif

Last edited by a moderator:
Did you buy a new controller or a second-hand one? Button reactions can get unpredictable with age. Also, just before the controller runs of out juice completely, it sometimes causes your game controls to get stuck in whatever it was you were just doing.

That may be so called "controller drifting", just google it. It may be caused by dust accumulating under the controller sticks. You need to give your controller a good blow or vacuum.
My controller that came with ps4 started to show such drift increasingly, so I went and bought a new one, official ps4 one on top of all. I was astonished when it drifted much more badly than my old one. So I started googling and learned about all this. Then I pooled all the strength of a vacuum cleaner and my own lungs. The result was I fixed my old controller, which now works fine again, but it had very little effect on the new one, which is nearly unusable. Go figure...

One controller brand new, other I'm not sure but a few years. Both controllers exhibited exact same behaviour for a period. They are both fine now - a few turns later. It was at the time of the unpredictability that the save file corrupted. I reloaded a 'good' one - i.e. an earlier save that actually loaded up. and got similar behaviour at the same turn/s but it then cleared up on later turns.

I may have got to the bottom of it. I think what's happening is that with a heavy processing load it disappears up the computer version of its *** and then when it gets back to looking at keypresses and so on, it processes all of them at once - while I have been pressing multiple times and so on. Hence the erratic behaviour.

Thanks

Top Bottom