Québec Provincial Election

Its official for Dumont .... Official opposition party!

Yeah. Stupid farmers.

Hmmm. Charest slowly creeping back up.

Oda Nobunaga, understand the split between a region's largest city and the rest of the region is almost universal; you cannot escape it.

To put it bluntly:

Montreal:Quebec::Vancouver:BC::Toronto:Ontario::Toronto:Canada::New York City:USA::London:UK::paris:France::Tokyo:Japan::etc.:etc.

Heh, I suppose so. It's idiotic all the same. The city has more population, more wealth, because that's the way of things - scattered economy DOES NOT WORK, but the regions, often with more political power than their population or economic value warrants, votes in politicians who artificially prop them up instead of encouraging people to move toward the urban centers where they might actually contribute on their own to a working economy rather than sucking away money.

I'm not particularly fond of the current political balance, where some (far-out regions) ridings have half the population of others here. How bad is it elsewhere in Canada?

Charest defeated in his own circonscription....
Minority winner : Liberals without Charest
Official opposition : ADQ (Dumont)

PQ will surely dump Boisclair
Amir Kadhir did well in Mercier...

First ever minority government since Canada exist in Quebec!

my friend lives in Sherbrooke so I talked to him today at 5 pm. He asked me for whom I would vote and he told me that he had to vote for the PQ even if he dislike PQ (he wanted to vote ADQ) but since he heard that a lot of people in town would vote for PQ to defeat Charest he did vote PQ...looks like it worked

I hope it worked. The lost little lamb need to find his way out of Québec City.

EDIT : Damn it. Charest won Sherbrooke.

All stations save 14 are now reporting. Charest wins his seat by a comfortable enough margin, the province divides 48/41/36.

It seems to me this will enable the Liberals to run a decently effective minority government, with the support of the ADQ on economic issues and that of the PQ on social issues. But I think it might get a bit uncomfortable for the province's anglophones, and for Montreal in particular.

Not just the Anglos. Will be uncomfortable for everyone in Montreal, and the immediate Montreal suburbs.

Seems the rest of Québec hsa shown us the door.

Yeah, I meant all of Montreal. (Sorry, I should have made that more clear.) It's likely I'll be moving to Hamilton or Halifax in a couple of years, so I should be relatively unaffected (unless my nightmare vision of McGill, Cornwall campus comes to pass) but I can't imagine this will be any good for the city.

Still, maybe the ADQ's popularity is merely a reactionary swell that will subside once too many MLAs accuse the Jews of instigating world wars.

Indeed.

Hmmmm...French-speaking (so republicans won't like), conservative (so liberals won't like), strongly nationalistic (so ROC won't like) ADQ voters (so I don't like)...

And here I was looking for people to cast as villains in my novel...

(Actually, it was rather unavoidable that the ADQ and its supporters, particularly the Hérouxville brand, would wind up on the wrong side of the novel. Their political agenda, and what the heroes wind up doing and being, simply are not compatible).

I like the result. A near 1/3 split, with a sprinkling of other votes - just want I wanted.

A prediction: There is going to be no election in the near future. Both the Liberals and PQ need to regroup, while ADQ will try to translate their gains into building a stronger organization.

Not unlikely. It will be interesting to watch, if nothing else.

(I'll still includes Vancouver and Toronto in my job searches, though. Not so much out of desperation to leave Québec - I need to complete my studies anyway - but because, as I said, from a critical standpoint I don't have all that many things holding me in QC these days)

Official results : # seats / % of vote

Liberal party : 48 seats / 33,08 %

Action Démocratique du Quebec : 41 seats / 30,80 %

Parti Québecois : 36 seats / 28,32 %

Parti Vert : 0 seats / 3,89 %

Québec Solidaire : 0 seats / 3,65 %

Boisclair is definitely finished, Dumont is man of the hour.

So what fate does Charest now face? Will he stay on or will he get the boot? Think Dumont will attempt to force an election any time soon (like say within the next 18 months)?

Boisclair is likely done leading the pack, but he shouldn't leave the party and the Pointe-Aux-Trembles disctrict just yet. He's still a very decent politician and can contribute to a strong PQ presence in the National Assembly and within a future PQ government if, and that's a pretty big if, the party can reform itself and come back to its social-democrat roots.

I hope Charest goes. The election party I was at last night had no Liberal voters (3 Greesn, 1 Qs, 2 PQ), so we pretty much all high-fived when his defeat was announced. For a brief moment, we were happy. The thing is, I really don't see a valid candidate within the Liberal ranks beside Couillard (health minister) and I'm not sure he has the taste for anything else than his department.

Who knows what Ducon will do? He doesn't even know himself.

Top Bottom