1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Questions & Answers

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Rhye's and Fall of Civilization' started by Rhye, Jul 8, 2006.

1. noxnox

noxnox Chieftain

Hey people, i have a question and i'd really appreciate it if someone could help answer it for me.

My flatmates and i would like to play a multiplayer game on bts. We're only really interested on playing any game types which encorporate the whole of the world map with each civ given a realistic starting place. Is earth18civs the only option available?

Rhyse and Fall seems really good, but i can't seem to find a way of playing a lan multiplayer game. The only option available seems to be 'hotseat'. What is this and how does it work? I apologise as my knowledge of computers and technical terms is very poor. It sounds as if we are all supposed to play from one computer. Is there no way to play Rhyse and Fall on each of our own laptops?

Thanks in advance

2. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

@Magnificent One:
    In the case of Germany, vassals don't count for your UHV, you have to control more than half of the cities in every mentioned area. When vassals count, its specifically mentioned like in Arabia's UHV.

@noxnox:
    The mod RFC is not supposed to be played in multiplayer mode. You're right, "hotseats" means everyone plays from the same seat, i.e. PC (which is still possible because it's not different from playing singleplayer). There is a modmod for RFC that allows a limited amount of civs (I think it was four) to be played in "real" multiplayer. Just take a look into the modmods subforum.

If you only look for a good world map and don't care much for the gameplay changes of RFC, there is also the possibility to download only the map (with the new marsh terrain and cotton ressource). It's definitely better than 18civ earth, because there is much more room in Europe in Rhye's map, while Sibiria is the unpleasant place it's supposed to be.

3. Magnificent One

Magnificent One Stetsons are cool.

For the German UHV,i own Italy,Greece and France for the UHV by around 1750.However,it doesn't show up on the victory screen that i own them.Do i need to own them by 1870,or do i need to take out the Dutch?

4. noxnox

noxnox Chieftain

Ah, thankyou, how and where can i download just the map?

5. noxnox

noxnox Chieftain

Hey, sorry again, i've had a look in the modmod forum and can't seem to find anything allowing me to play 'real' multiplayer. If anyone could point me in the right direction i'd be very grateful. Is it likely to be stable with 3 people playing?

edit- found it!

6. Leoreth

Leoreth 心の怪盗団 Moderator

The way a condition is formulated gives you a hint: when it says IN year X, the condition has to be fulfilled when you click "end turn" in year X. When it says BY year X, you fulfill the condition the first turn you meet all the criteria, as long as you're before X.

So yes, you have to wait until 1870 to make it count. I strongly recommend not to take out the Netherlands, as another core area has always been too much in my Germany games. Also don't conquer the civs for the 1940 condition too early - even with totalitarist civics and golden ages, you can't hold on to that many core areas for long.

7. shizzel2442

shizzel2442 Chieftain

I need help. I cant start it!!!
    it just crashes!
    If anyone can give me any suggestions i would really appreciate it

8. Opferlamm

Opferlamm Chieftain

Do you have BtS 3.19 installed?
    Did you delete the old RFC folder before extracting the downloaded version?

9. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

I recently tried to "pre-build" Amsterdam before the dutch spawned, in order to give myself a head start - well, cheating with other words I guess - however the city got razed at the time of the dutch spawning. I assume this is because they only have a limited spawn area and thus "needs" to spawn on those tiles? Is there any way to get around this, e.g. by razing other nearby cities so there's "more space"?

10. narvego

narvego Chieftain

Hello,

Where in files RFC I can change the Civilization starting year? For example, I want to spawn America about ~1000BC and play it. What I must to do? Of course, I will change the units and technologies, but I do not know how to change the starting year...

11. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

It's in Consts.py, with turn numbers in tBirth and date strings in tYear.

But- don't do that. Spawning a civilization too far before its time is utterly gamebreaking. Before I fixed autoplay, the Mac version allowed any civ to start in 3000 BC with a settler, a warrior, and no techs. I tried that with the Americans; within 100 turns, I was researching 1-beaker Future Techs, having long since finished the tree.

If you're going to mess around with spawn dates, you absolutely must deal with the tech cost modifiers in the DLL.

12. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

I just played a game where I got a quest to settle 7 (or was it 8) new landmasses, without changing state religion or reach the Industrial Age - I did that, however I got no quest reward, and the quest didn't show up as failed when I reached the Industrial Age; has anybody else experienced problems with this quest? (Playing as Japan, 3000 B.C. start, if that should happen to make any difference... I'm 100% sure I fulfilled what I was supposed to, so can't figure out what's wrong.)

13. AnotherPacifist

AnotherPacifist Chieftain

Either somebody else beat you to the quest, or the perennial bug of disappearing quests just hit you (just look and you won't find the quest listed at some point in your game)
    Also, Europe/Asia/Africa is one landmass, Japan, England, Australia are all separate landmasses. Playing as Japan I presume you hit NAm, Japan, Philippines, Indonesia, Australia, New Zealand, Manchuria?

14. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Quite sure nobody else did it, that can't be the case. I didn't come across other people complaining about the quests, and they've been working out fine for me so far, but sounds like that must be it then - bugger.

The wording of the quest was that even one tile islands counted, so I settled in 3 different islands in Indonesia, and all the other you mentioned, plus even a city on the island east of South Africa - Madagaskar? - just to make sure I was covered. Oh well. Guess there's nothing to do about it :)

15. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

It's probably game-logic continents; that would include one-tile islands normally, but the Rhye's scenario splits Europe, Asia, and Africa, and may merge some of the Pacific islands as well.
    Also, this could be one of those quests where the number is buggy due to map size scaling.

16. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

But I didn't receive a "notification" that the quest was failed, when I hit the industrial age - doesn't that mean something's wrong?

17. jmerry

jmerry Chieftain

The Blessed Sea quest is obsolete at the Industrialism tech, not the Industrial age.

18. Tlönitte

Tlönitte Chieftain

I've been blown away by the story writing in the RFC stories thread, but I thought this question was more suitable here. Some people seem to have customised unit names with regiments and origins listed. How can I set this up on my RFC?

19. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Thank you for giving me the name of the quest, enabled me to search for it and this thread came up, if anybody else has interest in this: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=234963

In short: it seems that you have to keep the unit that's circled when you receive the quest; not upgrade or lose it, otherwise the game doesn't remember you got the quest.

20. Cosmos1985

Cosmos1985 Chieftain

Nobody knows about this? Oh please I just want to help the dutch, I love them so much :mischief: Maybe it's possible to edit the spawn area so they have more than the tiles around Amsterdam as possible spawn tiles?