Questions & Answers

Of course, until you quit your game. ;) I played as Japan until 3000AD and american UP still worked (really, really many local revolts after collapse of USA - most of population wasn't independents, but indians/french/chinese etc).

Is there any way to edit the spawn zones, or any other way to tweak the game, so that cities dont get razed when built next to a starting location? I want to build Amsterdam before the dutch spawn, and not let it be destroyed when that happens - is there any way to do this?

When a new nation rises and your units join them, how long does this continue for?

10 turns iirc.

Is there any way to edit the spawn zones, or any other way to tweak the game, so that cities dont get razed when built next to a starting location? I want to build Amsterdam before the dutch spawn, and not let it be destroyed when that happens - is there any way to do this?

I'm not sure about modding for 1 tile away, but if you build it right on the exact tile they spawn, then the city isn't destroyed, it just flips to the new civ right when they spawn.

I'm playing a game as the Netherlands on Monarch, in the early 1500's. Isabella declared war on me; I sent a spy to check out her land, found her army rather pithy, considered that she didn't have gunpowder and I did, and thought "If I send a little stack of six units she'll crap her pants and give me a tech for peace." (Which is wrong of course, because the AI in this game doesn't seem to give up tech for any reason whatsoever, but this is my first time and I didn't know that. That's not the point anyway.) The point is that my spy was watching her territory the whole time, and on the turn my stack got to Spain, a bunch of conquistadors spawned from nowhere! She still doesn't have gunpowder, but she has conquistadors. What's going on? You can't get your own UU's as mercenaries, can you? Especially when you don't have the tech for it - in fact, nobody does!
conquistador.jpg

These definitely aren't mercenaries (they always have names like Andalusian Conquistador etc.).

Did you check if Isa has Astronomy, though? Because that's the requirement tech for Conquistadors.

I'm not sure about modding for 1 tile away, but if you build it right on the exact tile they spawn, then the city isn't destroyed, it just flips to the new civ right when they spawn.
I'm not sure if that's true. As far as I know, Roman Lutetia gets razed when France spawns.

with the help of the python forum i figured out that i can mod almost any function in CvGameUtils, EXCEPT those dealing with ai (AI_chooseTech, AI_unitUpdate, etc) ... those functions, for whatever reason, seem to be simply ignored by the game no matter what i do to them. i can mod those functions quite easily in vanilla so it's evidently a problem with rhye's specifically. anyone experienced with modding rhye's know the reason behind this? are those functions overridden somewhere?

i really need access to AI_unitUpdate in order to give commands to AI controlled units...

A ceasefire can only be signed if you're at war. (obviously)

If you sign a ceasefire, you automatically sign a peace treaty.

A peace treaty can also be signed when at peace though. For example, whenever tribute is given a peace treaty is signed. I think maybe pretty much any trade results in a peace treaty. The only one I'm sure about is tribute. I guess this is to prevent someone from demanding tribute when they plan to immediately attack afterwards.

If you sign ceasefire during a war, you actually don't sign a peace treaty, which means you can still declare war again in less than 10 turns.

You automatically sign a cease-fire with the Independents after (I think it is) 10 turns of no combat activity.

What determines the "normalized" score when you win? The first time I beat the Egyptian UHV with the latest patch, I barely scraped by the requirements. I beat it again the other day, finishing all of the requirements way before their deadline, researching additional techs, and building three or so additional wonders. The 2nd time winning my in-game score was 50 or so points higher, but my normalized score was actually lower than the first time by over 100 points.

Well I think that there's a normal score, the one you can see in the bottom-right part of the screen, but if you hover on it there's a "score by winning this turn", which I think is the normalized score.

I might be way off though.

BED is right, that is the normalized score. There are some trick to get a high score:

- Population is very important. Open the WB and reduce the size of your largest city, it will make a large difference.
- Territory is also important, but usually it's not so easy to gain lots of cities close to the deadline.
- Technology is not important, the gain is very low.
- Wonders contribute too but I'm not so sure how much. Same story as territory however, you aren't going to finish all wonders just before the deadline.

So, how to raise score? Some turns before the deadline, emphasize food. As many cities as possible must grow as large as possible. If the third UHV three turns left, the city should grow within 3 turns. Also, try to build culture in these cities, one cultural expansion might mean a lot, especially for early civs like Babylon or Egypt. Try to balance this with technology, so that you finish a tech AND pop some cities' borders. Note that your finalized score is not calculated after you hit the "next turn" button, but after all calculations are done. So, a city that grows in one turn WILL contribute more to your score.

So, does it matter?

Yes, it does. Open end UHVs like the Viking one can be postponed until there is nothing that increases the following turn. In 1.181, I won in 1530 with a ~7600 score (with squatting of course, without Brittain it wouldn't be near that). However, London, Inverness and Kalmar were growing really quickly, so I decided to wait a little longer, next turn I got ~7800. In the end, I finished in 1545 with a score of over 8400. Earlier civs can easily get a larger increase.

Yeah, so if you can win on turn 200 with a regular score of 1000, and decide to hold on until turn 205, still having a regular score of 1000, you would get less normalized score than you would have had you won in turn 200.

Is there somewhere where I could find all the city name maps in a user-friendly (i.e. graphical) format in existence somewhere? I'd like to be able to found certain cities without having to resort to trial and error.

Also, is occupation a super-civic or something? I have a bloated Arabia in one of my games, which took over Greece, Persia, India, Egypt, Numidia, the Maghreb, The Congo, Siberia, Indonesia, and has a city in both South America and Australia. They collapsed Egypt, India, Persia, Russia, the Mongols, and Japan. The problem: The little stability ball is in a bowl, and they are one of only four nations to have NEVER collapsed. Ever. It is currently 2100 something AD. They have been this size for almost 100 years, since WWII when Russia and America nuked each other to pieces because I (as Spain) refused to leave Sidi Ifni after a World Congress.

I feel like Arabia should have collapsed long ago. Is this a bug, or should I go switch to Occupation and conquer the world?

I've never seen the city names attached to a map, and I can understand why nobody took the work to make one.

You can get the names from CityNameManager.py into a more comfortable format, though, by simply selecting everything and then copy/pasting it into Excel.

For Arabia: most of the territory you conquered is within the historical bounds, so you're not really overstretched stability-wise. The Occupation civic, while powerful on the short term, doesn't help against long-time overexpansion into the wrong regions.

Top Bottom