Questions & Answers

Weird error:

After I play the next 2 turns in this game as the Aztecs, the game crashes with a "memory error"
First time I can remember getting a crash in any version of Rhye's:

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1645 Turn 280.CivBeyondSwordSave
    687 KB · Views: 56
They only ressurect when there are a certain nr of cities? And is the number of cities civ specific? or is 1 city in their old land enough for them to have a chance to reappear?

Rhye: generally 2 iirc

Sometimes one: Carthage just respawned by itself with no other cities in 1950 in my German game! Of course, that's generally an anomoly; France respawned with two of its original four cities (Bordeaux and Brest; I was holding Paris and Lyon and kept them) in the same game.

Also, on the matter of civil war, when it happens to the AI, does it always destroy its civ, or is it random, because the AI's civ is always destroyed in my games.
It always destroys the civ if it's AI. If it's human then you get to keep your capital.

OK, this is the second time this happens to me. And I've only had civil war twice, so it's a 100% occurance: My empire is descending into civil war, but NOTHING HAPPENS. It happened to me as Japan and is happening to me now as Arabia. Now, it's not that I terribly mind, since I get to continue a very long and tough game without worrying about collapsing, but still, it does take something away from the fun if I know stability doesn't really matter that much. I've had cities declare their independence at certain points in the past (I was Unstable at the time), but civil war seems to be bugged. Any advice?

Not sure if this is a bug or just something that happens but in a couple games now I've been on "Shaky" with 3 stars (and even 1 with 4 stars) in every category under Stability and I've been on "Unstable" with 3 stars in everthing but economy with 2 stars.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I think sometimes there are hidden modifiers regarding older civilizations making it harder for those civs to maintain stability over time especially when "they aren't supposed to survive" Because these things happen usually when I play ancient civs like Greece or Carthage into the later eras. Any truth to this?

Exactly! What civ are you playing? Each civ has allocated to itself a spawn area and a historical area. Each city you have outside this are counts against stability. The city-category depicts the state of your cities.

Expansion is very tricky for me to solve; sometimes I'm not sure if 1 or 2 stars in expansion means that I've expanded too much or not enough. It it's the former, then how I do remedy that? Losing cities also negatively affects my stability as well...feel like I'm in a darned if I do and and darned if I don't situation.

Economy can also be confusing to me as well, I understand it's about "growth" but there are times when my GDP is rising, i'm building markets, banks, etc and economy stars remain the same. Other times when I'm conquering and my GDP is in the negative, my economy stars expand. I know this might be difficult to implement but I think gold reserves should also be a factor in economy.

The determination of what constitutes a "good" economy really troubles me. Every time I win with a Western civ (Russia included) I'm usually first in GNP, but my economy never goes above a 3 or 4. Then there's Khmer and Ethiopia who no matter what they do with windmills and imports/exports their economy is 1-2 stars at best and causes civil war (thankfully the civil war bug prevents empire breakups). There's simply no place in their spawn site for cottages. Maybe it's because we're playing in Monarch and Emperor (I never had such problems with viceroy:lol: )

Economy can also be confusing to me as well, I understand it's about "growth" but there are times when my GDP is rising, i'm building markets, banks, etc and economy stars remain the same. Other times when I'm conquering and my GDP is in the negative, my economy stars expand. I know this might be difficult to implement but I think gold reserves should also be a factor in economy.
From experience I found that trade routes increase economy A LOT. I was playing Japan and, as in your case, I built Markets, Grocers, Banks, etc, and nothing would work. Then I built a Lighthouse and Customs House in every city and I went from 3 stars in economy to 5 in a matter of a few turns.

Unless Rhye can answer the questions, I'll try looking into the algorithm he uses to calculate economy and see how he does it. Because I agree, it's kind of weird sometimes...

If it is trade routes then that would explain a lot

@Mitsho I am playing as Germany and have all Europe except Britain and Spain and all Russia wesr of the urals...

If it is trade routes then that would explain a lot

@Mitsho I am playing as Germany and have all Europe except Britain and Spain and all Russia wesr of the urals...

How many cities? If I understand the wiki correctly, 40 or so cities (which I had in my last German game) pretty much guarantees a one-star expansion rating. Also, the new patch gives greater penalties for controlling other civs' core areas, so that's not helping either.

The problem with Germany is that everybody is pissed at you after you've conquered France/Britain/Scandinavia/Russia/Greece, so you can't give any cities to anybody since they're nowhere close. I keep only 3 cities in Vikingland, London, Manchester, Paris, Marseille, Amsterdam (it's a good seaport for invading Britain), 3-4 Russian cities, Athens, Rome and raze everything else. (This usually includes razing Milan which is so cramped that it can't grow large). This comes to about 10-12 cities I raze. I still become unstable but I never had a civil war in monarch mode.

The problem with Germany is that everybody is pissed at you after you've conquered France/Britain/Scandinavia/Russia/Greece, so you can't give any cities to anybody since they're nowhere close. I keep only 3 cities in Vikingland, London, Manchester, Paris, Marseille, Amsterdam (it's a good seaport for invading Britain), 3-4 Russian cities, Athens, Rome and raze everything else. (This usually includes razing Milan which is so cramped that it can't grow large). This comes to about 10-12 cities I raze. I still become unstable but I never had a civil war in monarch mode.

I've just finished a nice cultural victory before 1900 with the Germans and
hardly had any war at all. Ended up with half of Russia, the Netherlands, all
of Italy, the Balkans, Constantinople and Marseilles with 3 vassals including
the Ottomans, Egypt and India.
Funny thing happened about 1880, though. I had about a thousand in gold
so I thought I'd upgrade some infantry to mech. infantry. Except that
whenever I did, my gold stayed the same. So I upgraded everthing and
ended up with 120 mech. inf. at no cost! How is this possible in RFC?
Is this a late-game bug or something? If it is, I like it!:lol:

I've just finished a nice cultural victory before 1900 with the Germans and
Funny thing happened about 1880, though. I had about a thousand in gold
so I thought I'd upgrade some infantry to mech. infantry. Except that
whenever I did, my gold stayed the same. So I upgraded everthing and
ended up with 120 mech. inf. at no cost! How is this possible in RFC?
Is this a late-game bug or something? If it is, I like it!:lol:

hehe, you don't read your civ's description?? It's the Germans unique power! Nice Xmas present for you though, eh?? :lol:

@ Economy: I think it will always remain tricky and yes some civs do seem like they have inherent advantages over others. Ethiopia, first game with them don't get me started, had +126 gold after building markets and banks...2 star economy.

@ Expansion: Again, if we overexpand how do we remedy that? Losing cities will also have a negative impact so are civs who expanded too much just...."messed" up basically?

hehe, you don't read your civ's description?? It's the Germans unique power! Nice Xmas present for you though, eh?? :lol:

Yes, I've just checked that. Forgot all about the unique powers. It's not very
clear in the Civilopedia, but like you say, it's in the civ description when you
start the game. Just never noticed it. But as you say, a nice surprise.:)

Speaking of Germany, I've been having problems with Germany in the latest patch (3000 BC start) - the Roman city on the Rhine doesn't flip like the atlas says it should and I'm far too weak to conquer it. It makes it pretty hard to play, and when the AI does it it usually gets absorbed by Rome or one time the Netherlands.

Úmarth;6304704 said:
Speaking of Germany, I've been having problems with Germany in the latest patch (3000 BC start) - the Roman city on the Rhine doesn't flip like the atlas says it should and I'm far too weak to conquer it. It makes it pretty hard to play, and when the AI does it it usually gets absorbed by Rome or one time the Netherlands.

I haven't tried the 3000BC start, but I'm sure there are no cities that might flip
over to you. By the time that could happen either you've founded a city there
of your own or the Romans have occupied the area before you do.
If so, why and when would it flip to you?
It's only in the 600AD start that happens, isn't it?:confused:

Top Bottom