1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

When cannons reduce a cities defenses, which defenses do they mean? Do units with city defense promotion still have it for example?

2. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Hall of Fame Staff

As long as stationary injured units stand on a tile with a medic unit when you end turn, they will heal faster that turn, regardless whether the medic unit move from somewhere else that turn. I actually like my medics to be mobile units so the can move to other stacks that need it faster.

Only if the forest is within a city's BFC

pretty sure the forum is telling me I've been ninja'd ..ha...as I write this

sampsa likes this.
  3. lymond

Ack...this one is a bit more complicate. Someone can probably provide a better answer. Siege lowers the cities cultural defense and any provided by defensive buildings (walls/castles).

City garrison promotion applies regardless. That is specific to the unit itself. As long as that unit is inside a city it will get the benefit of that promotion. A city's defense level applies to all units fortified in a city. Also, units may have a fortify bonus up to 25% depending on how long they stand fortified ( I assume 5 turns to reach max). And a hill would provide a bonus to all units as well, of course, if the city is on a hill.

You can see all these bonuses when you attack a city yourself. Well...at least with the BUG mod.

4. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Well I can't get the Bug mod working properly with Linux, I got a ongoing inquiry about that but so far nothings worked.

So the cannons remove terrain defense and unit fortification?

If you make a bank, do you get the extra gold on the turn it's made? Same for all city construction, does the turn resource production happen first, or the city production?

5. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

No, these are two it doesn't remove. It removes city defences. City defence is based on either buildings (walls/castle) or cultural defence, depending which one is higher.
    No. You get the benefit on the next inter-turn. First everything is calculated, then builds are built.

6. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

When you take over a enemy city, does placing troops in the city help you quell the rebellion faster? More troops faster quelling?

7. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

No. I think it's always city size +1 turns.

8. Jivilov

Jivilov Warlord

So do units with March promo heal other units in the same stack when moving together? Thinking especially of Super Medics with healing promos up to March. Thanks.

9. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

No, that would make march OP. I think March is a great promo as it is though, just a bit hard to get.

Jivilov likes this.
  10. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

So medics don't heal units that have moved or acted that turn? Medics heal themselves more if they haven't moved or acted?

11. sampsa

sampsa Ghost

Units that have moved or acted heal (acquire more hp) only if they have "march" promotion. Medics are the same. They don't heal themselves if they have acted.

12. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Do units with march benefit from medic If they have moved?

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  13. lymond

I answered this question already.

A unit with March will heal while moving. If a unit with medic promos is in the same stack as the unit(s) with March promos, that unit will heal faster.

March simply enables the ability to heal as a unit moves, it provides no healing bonus directly.

If a unit with March has a medic promo as well it will heal faster. However, unless that unit is THE "medic", it would be redundant to give him medic promos if you already have another medic moving with him in the stack. You only need one medic unit per army and maybe at all.

March takes a while to get anyway for most units as you need, I think, at least combat III or IV. Or you give units medic to get to march, but that really is a waste of a promotion for all units since you want stronger promos on all units based on attack/defense needs, and only need one medic.

I usually eventually give March to super GG type unit, but rarely get to March on most units.

Imp. Knoedel likes this.
  14. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Does leadership make only that unit get twice as much experience in battle? I'd think from the name it'd make other units get more experience, but the description doesn't say that.

So medic on multiple units don't stack, but does medic, medic 3 and woodsman 3 healing stack? If you had all three promotions on a space (on the same unit or otherwise) would units heal 40% more a turn? And these percentages, are healing of max health/strength?

15. lymond

Yep, only the unit with the Leadership promotion.

Multiple medic units do not stack. Medic I to III on a unit is additive.

I have to find this recent post on the discussion to confirm if a woody III and medic guy stack. I'd always thought it did, but I was wrong about something, and have now forgotten what we discussed and tested.

I think it was a supermedic with Medic III and Woody 3 stacks on that unit, but if you have say a Medic III unit and a separate Woody III guy, they do not stack. The medic with the highest bonus supercedes the other guy.

Only on the same unit, otherwise the guy with highest medic bonus supercedes all the others.

Base strength is the same thing as health in the game. You heal base strength. (Actual strength is a different thing)

16. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Does medic 3 and woodsman 3 boost the side healing of medic 2?

17. lymond

No

18. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Units in your territory cost less upkeep than units in neutral or enemy territory?

Culture value gives cities extra defense that doesn't stack with walls? How do I know what defense a city has from culture and whether walls would do anything? Do units outside of cities defending in your territory get some kind of cultural defense?

19. lymond

Yep

I assume it does stack with walls. Not sure at moment how you see it. Not in game.

Gunpowder units ignore walls, but not cultural defense.

No, you don't get defense bonus for just being in culture....only in a city. Outside city would just be terrain bonuses.

20. TruePurple

TruePurple Civ wanna B

Enemy territory costs more than neutral? How much more in upkeep cost with these differences?