1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

:huh:

:vomit:

2. drewisfat

drewisfat King

Yeye you say this but it won't run!

3. lymond

lymond Rise Up! (Phoenix Style!) Moderator Hall of Fame Staff

BM does not affect HOF. You have steam so you need to copy that civ4.exe (it is in the zip) to your main bts/bts folder then point the BM install to that file. (Basically tricking the installer). Let me know if you need more help.

4. lymond

Are we having intestinal disease? :D

6K Man likes this.
  5. drewisfat

drewisfat King

Wait you want me to trick a computer? It usually goes the other way around.

lymond likes this.
  6. NightOnEarth

NightOnEarth Chieftain

Pardon me if the following issues have already been covered.

It appears to me that monuments from Stonehenge don't get double culture after 1000 years.

It seems that construction (bridge building) only negates the penalty for crossing a river if moving from one side of the bridge to the other. Diagonal crossing still receives the penalty.

I have a couple of question, too. Where can I check the war weariness of my own civilization? And what do these figures of war weariness mean?

7. Samson

Samson Deity

Correct.
    Once you have construction rivers should not affect road movement at all, so if there is a road on both tiles you should be able to use a road in any direction wherever the river is.
    Mousing over the red face on the city screen should give a number of unhappy faces for each source, war weariness is "War, what is it good for". The number next to that is the number of unhappy faces that war weariness is causing this city.

sampsa, NightOnEarth and krikav like this.
  8. molesworth

molesworth Warlord

Hi all, any ideas why Churchill does not attack in this scenario?
    Playing as Zulus I have been at war with him for many turns.
    He has this stack of Knights, Chariots, and Cats that just keep milling around in the forest next to Maputo where I have only a single archer for defence.
    Yes, Maputo is on a hill with walls but surely the odds favour Churchill?
    Is this due to a bug or some other weird AI calculation?

9. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Emperor

When AIs have siege units in a stack they will obsessively bombard down city defences for far, far longer than they should. Even if they have one catapult against a castle they'll stay outside the city and bombard for long enough that it's the general's grandchild who ends up leading the attack...if it ever happens.

There are exceptions, but generally, that's what happens.

krikav likes this.
  10. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

Yepp, it's due to that lone catapult.

11. molesworth

molesworth Warlord

Thanks @krikav and @AcaMetis for your replies.
    Churchill did indeed go in when defences fully reduced in Maputo.
    Interesting to know about this "lone siege weapon" characteristic of the AI; can factor it in to tactics to some extent

12. R82

R82 Chieftain

Sorry if those things have been covered before...

1. I've got the impression that, once a unit reaches 5 XP, no amount of fighting against animals, no matter how intense, will give it any additional XPs. Is that correct?

2. I've got the impression that, once a unit reaches 10 XP, no amount of fighting against Barbarians, no matter how intense, will give it any additional XPs. Is that correct?

3. I've got the impression that, if two units that start out with two or more "members" in each one of them fight, and the early rounds end with a situation where Unit A has two members left, and Unit B has one member left, and then, in the next round, the one member of Unit B kills one of the two remaining members of Unit A, then, in the last round, Unit B will always win. Is that correct?

4. Is there a simple way of turning the regular music off, but keeping the music for leader conversations, wonder movies, and victory movies? The trick that I'm currently using to achieve that goal is that I created a "dummy" MP3 file - that is, an MP3 file that's just a few minutes of complete silence - then I created a folder that contains only that dummy file, and then I declared that folder to be the custom music folder. (I don't know if the unmodded game supports custom music folders, but the mod I'm currently using - Buffy 3.19.005 - does.)

13. lymond

1 and 2 are basically yes, although I think the Charismatic trait may allow for a tad more XP sometimes.

3 - I think you are speaking of the unit/combat graphic. That’s really irrelevant. I use single unit graphic option anyway and quick combat.

4 - No clue on music files but the topic of custom music has certainly been broached. Someone else may chime in on that, but you can try posing the question over in the Mod forum.

R82 likes this.
  14. AcaMetis

AcaMetis Emperor

1 and 2 are indeed correct. As far as I know it's just a hard cap, a unit with 5/10 xp will never gain anything from fighting an animal/human barbarian. Fighting AI units doesn't have this limitation - no matter how one-sided the fight you'll always get at least 1xp.

3. I have heard about battles with the triple unit graphics always playing out in certain ways, so if not your specific example something of that nature does exist, yes. Note that this doesn't change the underlying mechanics at all, though. It's just a graphical shortcoming/quirk.

4. What you describe is basically as simple as it gets. The game gets annoyed if you try and replace the regular music tracks, so what you've done is as good a solution as I know about. The modding forum might indeed have something more clever/elegant, though.

R82 likes this.
  15. 6K Man

6K Man Bureaucrat

In unmodded BtS, if a unit represented by 3 figures (A) fights a unit represented by 3 figures (B), if the battle starts out with 2 figures in A dying and 1 figure in B dying, the remaining figure in A always kills the last 2 figures in B. As others have noted, it's a graphical quirk. It doesn't apply where retreat/flanking come into play, either.

Fish Man, R82 and Samson like this.
  16. R82

R82 Chieftain

Thank you, everyone!

17. Desslok

Desslok Chieftain

Hello, all. During loading screens there are 'Sid's Tips' randomly listed. Is there a place in or out of the game files where all of these tips are listed in total?

18. Samson

Samson Deity

In the civopeadia (f12), section "Hints".

Desslok likes this.
  19. Desslok

Desslok Chieftain

Ugh! My apologies. Thank you, Samson.

Samson likes this.
  20. krikav

krikav Theorycrafter

No need for apologizes, questions like these are what this forum and threads like this where made for. ;)

Desslok likes this.