Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Go complain here maybe it helps :mischief:
Yes well thanks but I'm over it now;)
I suppose that was a display of what can happen after a month of playing
civ till the wee hours of morning and still go to work during the day:suicide:

So Im trying to install the new patch (2.08) on my compueter which currently has patch 1.60 or something, i havent installed a patch before, advice or a useful link please?
cheers

So Im trying to install the new patch (2.08) on my compueter which currently has patch 1.60 or something, i havent installed a patch before, advice or a useful link please?
cheers

You just download it and run it as a program, it will find your civ4 warlords program files on your computer and modify them. Or you can have the game do it automatically, it's under Advanced options in the startup menus if you're online, but that always makes my computer freeze. (Also, see Lord Parkin's next post)

Has anyone here played the Total Realism mod? Any thoughts?

cheers
If you have not yet bought and installed Warlords, then you cannot use the 2.08 patch. The highest patch which you need for Civilization IV without Warlords is just the 1.61 one (which from the above, I think you already have).

would someone direct me to a post/thread that shows the rate, in turns, that cottages mature to hamlets, villages, and towns over time depending on game speed? I primarily play marathon speed fwiw. thank you! (yes I tried the search function).

would someone direct me to a post/thread that shows the rate, in turns, that cottages mature to hamlets, villages, and towns over time depending on game speed? I primarily play marathon speed fwiw. thank you! (yes I tried the search function).

No, I'm not going to direct you to a thread, no way.

I'll just tell it here. :D

On normal speed, the first growth from cottage to hamlet takes 10 turns. The next growth takes 20 turns, the following takes 40 turns (so just double and double again of the first step of growth). On marathon speed, it all takes three times as long as most things take three times as long om marathon speed (30 turns, 60 turns and 120 turns). Note that the free speech civic halves these growth times (or doubles the growth speed). So that means 15, 30 and 60 turns on marathon speed.

(on epic speed it takes 1.5 times as many turns as on normal speed, on quick speed it takes 0.67 times as many turns as on normal speed).

You can also find these values in the civilopedia entry of these improvements.

No, I'm not going to direct you to a thread, no way.

I'll just tell it here. :D

On normal speed, the first growth from cottage to hamlet takes 10 turns. The next growth takes 20 turns, the following takes 40 turns (so just double and double again of the first step of growth). On marathon speed, it all takes three times as long as most things take three times as long om marathon speed (30 turns, 60 turns and 120 turns). Note that the free speech civic halves these growth times (or doubles the growth speed). So that means 15, 30 and 60 turns on marathon speed.

(on epic speed it takes 1.5 times as many turns as on normal speed, on quick speed it takes 0.67 times as many turns as on normal speed).

You can also find these values in the civilopedia entry of these improvements.

gosh, I knew it was going to be one of things I could just look up in the civ-pedia! :crazyeye:

TYVM for the info, RJ- also, I think you meant to say that Emancipation is the civic that gives 100% cottage growth!

gosh, I knew it was going to be one of things I could just look up in the civ-pedia! :crazyeye:

TYVM for the info, RJ- also, I think you meant to say that Emancipation is the civic that gives 100% cottage growth!

Yes, indeed. I don't know how that slipped in there. Sorry.

Aside from the normal lack of shared civics, do non-Emancipated civs hold their happiness penalty against the Emancipated?

Aside from the normal lack of shared civics, do non-Emancipated civs hold their happiness penalty against the Emancipated?

I never noticed a diplomacy penalty like this. I think they are oblivious to the fact that the emancipated nations are the source of their unhappiness.

How is the unhappiness from Emancipation actually calculated? I always thought it was 1 unhappy face per city per rival civ which has Emancipation. However, I noticed that in a smaller game (a duel between two human players), if one switched to Emancipation then the other would get 3-6 unhappiness in all its cities, based on their size. :confused:

How is the unhappiness from Emancipation actually calculated? I always thought it was 1 unhappy face per city per rival civ which has Emancipation. However, I noticed that in a smaller game (a duel between two human players), if one switched to Emancipation then the other would get 3-6 unhappiness in all its cities, based on their size. :confused:

I don't remember my source, but I think it depends on what fraction of known civs have Emancipation. So the last horse out of that gate gets whipped (unlike real life, where they get all the outsourced industry :mad: )

Edit: Thanks RJ

where do i exctract the 1.61 patch too?

Desktop. Anywhere you can find it. When you run it, it'll find your civ files to update, you don't have to run it from within the civ folder.

My theory for the "Special Edition" is that it has that different interface you always see in some places, like, I think, 2kgames.com somewhere, and it has a brown-colored, more [civ3]-like interface. Please clarify, because that was a wild guess.

My theory for the "Special Edition" is that it has that different interface you always see in some places, like, I think, 2kgames.com somewhere, and it has a brown-colored, more [civ3]-like interface. Please clarify, because that was a wild guess.

Nah, it's just a fancier box and some extra glossy paperwork, like a keyboard layout with all the hotkeys and a tech tree. Slightly cool but not worth paying extra for if it costs more. It was released in Nov 2005 and does not include Warlords.

Can anyone tell me if the final score is calculated with the map type as a factor? In other words, do you score more for winning on, say, Oasis than on Pangaea?

Top Bottom