Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

howdy,

two quick questions:

1. I am having a ressource (i.e. Fur) connected to my trade network via camp & road but let's assume not in any fat cross of any city. Does now every city get the health/happy bonus or none?
Or if it were in a fat cross, does only that one city get it?

2. I read a lot about "if this city has this and that, don't raze it". Obvsiouly you want wonders, shrines and such of a captured city and raze the deadweight. But how do you actually figure out what the city (if it is not an obvious one, i.e. the capital) has in terms of wonders, shrines, national wonders, etc? Is there a info screen (besides the Top 5 cities, I mean) or do you look at the graphic in close-up?

cheers
-wannabewarlord

Iwould like to extend a warm welcome to one and all. Enjoy THE GAME and all it's fetures. CIV RULES!!!

1. I am having a ressource (i.e. Fur) connected to my trade network via camp & road but let's assume not in any fat cross of any city. Does now every city get the health/happy bonus or none?

As long as a ressource has an improvement, a connection (road, river...) and is INSIDE YOUR CULTURAL BORDERS, you have acces to it in cities connected to it.

2. I read a lot about "if this city has this and that, don't raze it". Obvsiouly you want wonders, shrines and such of a captured city and raze the deadweight. But how do you actually figure out what the city (if it is not an obvious one, i.e. the capital) has in terms of wonders, shrines, national wonders, etc? Is there a info screen (besides the Top 5 cities, I mean) or do you look at the graphic in close-up?
You have several possible informations:
- the top 5 cities
- the graphics
- the announcement of the building of a wonder (shows you in which city it was built)
- the list of wonders (shows you the city if you know it)

Wannabewarlord said:

It doesn't have to be within the fat cross of a city, but it must be within your civ's cultural borders for it to be connected. The connection is the same regardless of where in your borders it it. If it's in a city's fat cross then obviously you can work the resource tile, which will usually be a lot better than generic tiles.

The top 5 cities screen is your best bet. Looking closely at the city is also an option, but you need to be quite familiar with how the wonders look, and it can be hard to spot them in larger cities. You could also use espionage to check out the city before you attack. Shrines are more obvious as the city will have the holy city icon by it.

Small note - it doesn't matter about national wonders in the city. Even if you capture it rather than burning it, they will always be destroyed.

thanks for the answers guys. that helps.
so there's no crystal ball telling you what a city has or not ;)

I have a few questions.

1. I still can't login to play multiplayer. I want to play it, but every time I enter my info and click Login, nothing happens.

2. Is there any way I can play the game in a window? So I don't have to have it full screen the whole time?

Bitter.

2. Is there any way I can play the game in a window? So I don't have to have it full screen the whole time?
It's in the options of the game, I think in the graphic options pannel

Can't answer for multiplayer. But I can say that you're too vague, there's not enough information.

It's in the options of the game, I think in the graphic options pannel

Can't answer for multiplayer. But I can say that you're too vague, there's not enough information.

I wish I could be more descriptive, but that is the problem. When I go to Multiplayer, it asks to log in to my GameSpy account, obvious, but when I fill out my info and click the login buton, my screen lags for maybe half of a second, and then nothing happens. There is no pop up that says why I can't login, it is just blank. Nothing happens. No error or anything. And I am not sure why this happens.

Bitter.

How in the wide wide world of sports do I add units to this game? There are only like 100's or so of awesome units out there to enhance my civ experience and I have not a clue as to how to get them in there. Can some one point me in a direction?

Muchas Gracias

How in the wide wide world of sports do I add units to this game? There are only like 100's or so of awesome units out there to enhance my civ experience and I have not a clue as to how to get them in there. Can some one point me in a direction?

Muchas Gracias
You might be better off asking this question in the Creation and Customization forum. If you find a particular custom unit you want to add there, the thread probably describes how to incorporate it into the game.

I wish I could be more descriptive, but that is the problem. When I go to Multiplayer, it asks to log in to my GameSpy account, obvious, but when I fill out my info and click the login buton, my screen lags for maybe half of a second, and then nothing happens. There is no pop up that says why I can't login, it is just blank. Nothing happens. No error or anything. And I am not sure why this happens.

Bitter.

That could indicate a problem with your software firewall, but there could also be another problem.

Maybe the best place to get an answer to this question would be the Civ4 - Multiplayer & PBEM subforum. There's even a 'Troubleshooting Connectivity' thread stickied in that forum, which seems to be your problem.

OK really noob question here but how when you are in game can you decrease a cities unhappy population? I can do it for most of them but one says "it is too crowded" (unhappy red face), how do i sort out that problem?

Can anyone tell me where I can find a mod like those that TETurkhan have made for civ3, but to civ4?
And can I modify my units like in civ3? I can't find the editor...

OK really noob question here but how when you are in game can you decrease a cities unhappy population? I can do it for most of them but one says "it is too crowded" (unhappy red face), how do i sort out that problem?
There is no way to get rid of the "it is too crowded". You will have one unhappy face per point of population unless the city has the Globe Theater which removes all unhappiness from that city.

Cabert did an outstanding article on how to keep cities happy which can be found here:

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=189559

Welcome to CFC [party]

on the same note... Is there a way to check my war weariness level in game other than looking at all the red faces? I don't understand why it shows me my opponent's war weariness rather than my own:hmm:

on the same note... Is there a way to check my war weariness level in game other than looking at all the red faces? I don't understand why it shows me my opponent's war weariness rather than my own:hmm:
I'm not aware of any such way.

What do you mean, it shows your opponent's war weariness rather than your own? I think you may be confused; the war weariness you see in your cities is always your own.

Your war weariness level can be seen in the scoreboard when you hover over your name. But it's just a number, I don't know how useful that is to you. It's more useful to know what causes war weariness (which is explained in the linked article). This number translates into the unhappy faces in your cities and the size of a city determines how many people become unhappy due to a certain war weariness level.

Top Bottom