Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ4 - General Discussions' started by Civrules, Oct 29, 2005.

1. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

I have a question about horses and copper.
    Is there any other benefit to these two resources besides making calvary or making spearman/axeman available?

if there your not needing calvary or have iron so can produce axeman with iron, we can trade all of these 2 resources

edit( and dont want to build statue of liberty)
    this is on vanilla civ 4

2. IAM

IAM Emperor

Some buildings are built faster with a copper resource and at least one unique building gives extra happiness for horses. Many say don't trade strategic resources but I will under certain circumstances. Like a friendly AI that I have no reason to think they will become an enemy or to support a weaker civ that is in a war against my primary enemy. And of course to vassals. A strategic resource can get you three resources in trade sometimes.

3. CivIVMonger

CivIVMonger Emperor

Ummm... Tax rate? :confused: I thought you were talking about the research slider but you can't put it at 27%? I'm confused... Is there a tax slider, or is it a patched research slider?

4. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

If an AI builds the Internet and you capture the city where it was built, do you start to get all techs known by two other civilizations?

5. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Tax rate = the amount of commerce you transfer into gold. For most players this is usually 100%-research percentage (it actually is 100% - research - culture - espionage). A high tax rate means you have high upkeep as I had during a large part of that game.

27%: Estimated break even value at that point in the game. In the unmodded game, you can only change the percentage with 10% at a time but usually your break even point isn't at a multiple of 10%. At 20% I was losing lots of money, at 30% making a little money.

Yes. (never tested it, but it should work that way and I've never read a bug report about it)

6. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

Unfortunately, you don't get the free techs if you capture the Internet. I made the question because I had never been in such a situation and I was facing it in my current game. After conquering all English cities, I figured I would get the techs, but I didn't.

Here is the tech situation before the war (spoiler for LHC XLIX - Mao Zedong):
    Spoiler :

And here is the tech situation one or two turns after the end of the war:
    Spoiler :

Here is the screenshot that shows Churchill completed the Internet and that he's dead:
    Spoiler :

I don't know if this is a bug or anything. Just in case, I've attached the save of the turns before and after the war.

Attached Files:

7. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Hey, wait, I answered to quickly. The internet is a project, not a world wonder located in some city. You can't even capture it.

Sorry that I misled you. I shouldn't answer questions when I should be going to bed. But you misled me a bit also by suggesting that you captured it while that isn't even possible. You tricked me. ;) ;) ;)

8. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

This thread should be renamed "quiz Roland Johansen about Civ IV!" Seriously, kudos and proper respect.

9. Pablod

Pablod Warlord

i unistall civ 4
    when install again show fatal pyton error
    i can't play,please help

10. Lord Parkin

Lord Parkin aka emperor

Perhaps the installation somehow got corrupted. I'd recommend a complete uninstall and reboot of your computer, then a reinstall from scratch. Make sure you install in the correct order (ie Civ4 -> Warlords -> BTS, and only patch in chronological order). See if that works. :)

11. CivIVMonger

CivIVMonger Emperor

Yes, I second the notion! This was what I was talking about when I said "I look forward to your posts." You have been steadfast to answer even the most worthless questions! I too, give you my kudos and proper respect! Thanks for all of your replies! :)

12. Roland Johansen

Roland Johansen Deity

Heh, just when I missed a quiz question about the internet. However, it's really nice to hear that my input is appreciated. Thank you. :)

13. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

I thought that world projects could be captured. Silly me!

14. Fidardorist

Fidardorist Recidivist Civ'er

My newb question is as the title suggests. I don't see it in options. I want it to auto save each turn... :crazyeye:

Thanks in advance.

15. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

Open the file Civilization.ini in the BTS folder (I run Vista and it's in documents\my games\Beyond the Sword in my PC, may be different for other OS) with notepad. There's a line there that reads
    Code:
    ; Specify the number of turns between autoSaves.  0 means no autosave.
    AutoSaveInterval = 4
    Set it to 1.

Edit. Be sure to make a backup before editing that file.

16. Gwynnja

Gwynnja Deity

along those same lines, i'd like to save more than 4 auto saves in a row, can I save like 10 0r 20?

17. Ignorant Teacher

Ignorant Teacher Emperor

Open the same file I mentioned. One line above the other, there's this one:
    Code:
    ; The maximum number of autosaves kept in the directory before being deleted.
    MaxAutoSaves = 5
    Then...

18. QuakeMazer

QuakeMazer Chieftain

I thought I might register an account on here to hopefully find a couple people who might be willing to assist me through instant messenger. Just the occasional quick tip now and again. I won't be a bother to anyone.

If you wouldn't mind, would you either share with me your screen name information and which messenger you use or simply add me to yours. (Philosophy1982 is my aim name) and (firedancer400@hotmail.com is my msn messenger name) I use trillian so they are both on all the time. Thanks for reading.

bill-

19. Oddible

Oddible signal / noise > 1

Welcome to CFC QuakeMazer! :rockon:

You know if you have quick questions this is a great place to post them. I notice it has been a while since you posted this and the reason you haven't gotten a response sooner is you didn't post a question! :) Hopefully you'll get someone to connect on IM but in the mean time, read through the posts in the War Academy, the Strategy forum section and this General section and if you have any questions at all, don't hesitate to post here in Quick Answers or in a new thread. The community is very active and you'll likely get a quick reply.

20. QuakeMazer

QuakeMazer Chieftain

Well, I guess my first concern would have to be that when I play the scenario "Africa" (which is standard I think) I find myself clicking "end turn" 3 dozen times in a row.

I mean when a settler takes sooo man turns to come out and your little hole in the ground capital city is just beginning there is simply nothing to do in the way of actions other than scout the entire map.

Right now its "turn 163" which sets me in the 155 b.c age. Things are finally starting to pick up a little, but sheesh. Would it have something to do with the fact that I entered "epic" length game? Would that be the reason things are soo slow even up to this point?

Many thanks :)