Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

More Newbie-ish questions :D

1- Are financial bonuses from buildings cumulative? Ie - Does a markets 25% Gold and a Banks 50% Gold stack, or does it take only the highest available bonus into consideration?

2- Same question with maintenance. If you have an organized leader at -50 percent and you build courthouses at -50 percent, are you effectively down to 25% total maintenance needed for that city?

1- Are financial bonuses from buildings cumulative? Ie - Does a markets 25% Gold and a Banks 50% Gold stack, or does it take only the highest available bonus into consideration?

2- Same question with maintenance. If you have an organized leader at -50 percent and you build courthouses at -50 percent, are you effectively down to 25% total maintenance needed for that city?

In both cases they stack, Chris.

And I finally beat RoJo to an answer. :goodjob:

1. yes
2. with an organized leader the courthouse costs 50% less hammers and production and CIVIC maintenance is cut by 50%. The courthouse doesn't affect Civic maintnance, and the organized trait doesn't directly affect city maintenance.

To amplify a little: most percentages in civ are additive not multiplicative as you might expect. Thus the bank and the market give a 75% bonus when both are in a city, not 1.25 x 1.5 = 1.625.

Maintenance costs are a bit more complicated. As is typical in the game, multiple maintenance buildings add. For example, an Ikhanda and a courthouse combine for a 70% reduction in costs. However other factors, such as the organized trait and distance to a palace, are applied first before this is calculated. Thus an organized civ with both buildings would get an 85% reduction or (50% + 20%) / 50%. Note that this applies to civic costs only as this is the only part affected by the trait.

To amplify a little: most percentages in civ are additive not multiplicative as you might expect. Thus the bank and the market give a 75% bonus when both are in a city, not 1.25 x 1.5 = 1.625.
I don't know about you, but to me 1.25 x 1.5 = 1.875. :confused:

Anyway, you're right that most percentage bonuses in civ are additive and not multiplicative, so this point is moot anyway. I just thought I'd point out your rather strange maths though. ;)

Maintenance costs are a bit more complicated. As is typical in the game, multiple maintenance buildings add. For example, an Ikhanda and a courthouse combine for a 70% reduction in costs. However other factors, such as the organized trait and distance to a palace, are applied first before this is calculated. Thus an organized civ with both buildings would get an 85% reduction or (50% + 20%) / 50%. Note that this applies to civic costs only as this is the only part affected by the trait.

However, the courthouse and the Ikhanda don't affect civic costs.

To repeat the point that Gwynnja already made and to be very clear to the newcomers (like Chris Rex):

The Organized leader trait affects civic costs (-50%) and doesn't affect city maintenance costs.
The courthouse building affects city maintenance costs in a single city (-50%) and doesn't affect civic costs.

The Organized trait also reduces the time it takes to build a courthouse in your cities by multiplying the hammers invested in the construction of the building (+100% construction of this building). So with the Organized trait you will get a reduction in city maintenance sooner due to constructing the courthouse faster.

You can see various costs (empire wide) in the Financial Advisor (F2).

if you use the "F1"-key to view the status of your cities, there are 2 columns which i do not understand. The second last column (before producing) is a black sign and the fourth last is a red circle (before the great people points).
What does the numbers in these columns mean for each city ?
Anything to worry about ?

if you use the "F1"-key to view the status of your cities, there are 2 columns which i do not understand. The second last column (before producing) is a black sign and the fourth last is a red circle (before the great people points).
What does the numbers in these columns mean for each city ?
Anything to worry about ?

You seem to have a different layout than me. What version are you playing?

My guess is cultural defence percentage for the black sign and city upkeep for the red circle as I recognise these headers of the columns (only in a different position).

You seem to have a different layout than me. What version are you playing?

My guess is cultural defence percentage for the black sign and city upkeep for the red circle as I recognise these headers of the columns (only in a different position).

I play "Beyond the Sword v 3.19".
I will check your answer within the city screen. City Upkeep may be possible, but cultural defense percentage ? The number in that column is 6, THAT is supposed to mean 60 %percent defence ?

Thx for the answer, i will test it.

Might try posting a screenie

I play "Beyond the Sword v 3.19".
I will check your answer within the city screen. City Upkeep may be possible, but cultural defense percentage ? The number in that column is 6, THAT is supposed to mean 60 %percent defence ?

Thx for the answer, i will test it.

No, the cultural defence value should be a percentage, so I'm wrong. A screenshot would be very helpful.

Of course, i just thought the question would be silly enough and did not dare to present a screenshot :rolleyes:

I marked the 2 columns in questionwith red lines.

how do I get my huge screenshots to appear as thumbnails rather than making my threads obnoxious? (Probably asked and answered before, but give me a break)

Of course, i just thought the question would be silly enough and did not dare to present a screenshot :rolleyes:

I marked the 2 columns in questionwith red lines.

Sorry, I had loaded the game with the BUG mod and it has the columns ordered differently. In your case, it's city upkeep rounded down to the nearest integer for the red circle and number of military units in the city for the black castle.

how do I get my huge screenshots to appear as thumbnails rather than making my threads obnoxious? (Probably asked and answered before, but give me a break)

you upload them to a free image hosting service like Photobucket or Imageshack and use the thumbnail link they provide :mischief:

I finally got Civilization IV: Complete. It's sitting on my shelf right now, although since its for my birthday I can't break the plastic wrap until the 3rd.

So plenty of time for this question: Should I install the game "over" my existing BtS install or uninstall it first?

Okay, thanks.

Is it possible to hide units from the AI's sight? Does forest or jungle hide units? Do cities?

Also: does pillaging territory (not cities, territory) tick off other civs to the point where they won't surrender any tech (or anything else) during peace negotiations? It might just be the two leaders I'm dealing with, Mansu and Tokugawa. I've been slapping them around something fierce, took a few cities (all of Mansu's save one), decimated their economy and populations by ravaging their countryside . . . and they won't surrender anything, not even one tech, for a treaty.

If you pillage a city because it's a 1-pop, does that count as razing it, at least as far as the diplo penalty?

Top Bottom