Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

The picture does fit you. TMIT's new pic is freaky... :goodjob: MadScientist changed his?

I miss TMIT's "Cat In The Drop Ceiling" Avy; so cute. Guess he's swung to the other extreme. :)

Searched a bit, but the forums is really big so I didn't find anything... what's Vanilla? everybody keeps saying vanilla this vanilla that I don't get it :S :confused:

oh, ok.. I tought it might be that, but it's better to ask than to look dumb talking about stuff I don't understand that well lol... tks...

Go to the custom game menu. You can turn opponents on or off including adding or subtracting AI or human players.

Note: I think it needs being said that the original development of the game and its generation of starting positions is intended to be balanced. Changing the number of opponents up or down in more or less space based on map size is At Your Own Risk.

If you really want to see how it would go, go for it. I, however, have found that rolling a Fractal map will often bring a satisfactory (number of opponents) result in terms of local performance, and it also TEACHES flexibility in terms of adequate responses to given conditions. JMO

Definitly a newbie question, I finished my second game yesterday. When building my first two cities, I settled on hills for the defense bonus. A few turns after settling the second city I discovered Iron and sure enough the only available was under the second city.

Is it possible to abandon, destroy or relocate a city? Do you starve them out? I'm not looking for would it be wise, but game mechanics... :crazyeye:

Definitly a newbie question, I finished my second game yesterday. When building my first two cities, I settled on hills for the defense bonus. A few turns after settling the second city I discovered Iron and sure enough the only available was under the second city.

Is it possible to abandon, destroy or relocate a city? Do you starve them out? I'm not looking for would it be wise, but game mechanics... :crazyeye:

Unlike Civ II, you cannot disband your own cities. However, you gain the use of resources that cities (and forts) are built upon - so there isn't a need.

Why are swordsmen considered the strongest of the early units? Thier base streangth is six, however, they do not naturally obtain the +50% vs. melee units. Would this make axemen more feisable contenders? A promoted axe has great power all the way up to longbows. I know that a promo/ sword has the same benefit, just naturally +10% vs. city defenders is not a great deal so powerful. I guess they were designed for just pure base, overall power.

Swordsmen are great because: Your opponents have archers. They don't have axemen if you get the jump on them/unhook their metal before they can build axemen. That extra 20% strength on top of Axeman plus another 12% against cities makes them really more efficient for their purpose.

I never said they were bad it's just that the axemen I considered to be better, you are right taking cities plus being able to defend against any current unit with reasonable odds is something to marval.

Why are swordsmen considered the strongest of the early units? Thier base streangth is six, however, they do not naturally obtain the +50% vs. melee units. Would this make axemen more feisable contenders? A promoted axe has great power all the way up to longbows. I know that a promo/ sword has the same benefit, just naturally +10% vs. city defenders is not a great deal so powerful. I guess they were designed for just pure base, overall power.

Axes are evidently better stack defenders, but they are less than great when attacking cities. It's kind of the rock-paper-scissors system. Swords shine attacking cities, Axes tear Swords apart, Chariots own Axes and Spears eat Chariots for breakfast. I only wish this remained in all the stages of the game. When you get to Infantry / Artillery, Fighters / Infantry / Anti-Tanks or Mechanized Infantry / Fighters, nothing can stop you.

Who considers swordsmen the "strongest of early units?" I'd take a quantitatively equal stack of horse archers any day.

Who considers swordsmen the "strongest of early units?" I'd take a quantitatively equal stack of horse archers any day.

Roundedness, horse archers still get beaten by spearmen, so do swords against axes, I guess it just is like what IG said, rock paper scissors.

Roundedness, horse archers still get beaten by spearmen, so do swords against axes, I guess it just is like what IG said, rock paper scissors.
If roundedness is what you want, then axes are the best. Swords and HAs do well because the AI is not good at building proper counters. If it did, you should stick mainly to axes and pults. As it is, HAs are better than swords.

ho do you raise approval rating?

anybody?

'Quick Answers' is relative. This is not a chat room. Somebody will (probably) answer your question when it is seen. If you look, you will see that sometimes a question will go hours, or even days, before it is answered. Please don't expect an answer in just a couple of minutes. --Padma

By having more :) than :mad:

Top Bottom