Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Actually, in vanilla Beyond the Sword (and all of Civilization IV, to my knowledge) Railroads add one production to Mines and Lumbermills, so yes, this is an easy change to make in the XML file (in ImprovementInfos, using RouteYieldChanges).
And Quarries

I’m curious, one can build ‘research’, ‘wealth’ and ‘culture’, but you never unlock the ability to build ‘espionage’.

Any thoughts on why not? Simple oversight, or something deeper?

Although you can't "build" espionage, you can set the commerce slider to generate espionage from very early in the game, starting from when you can build spies. Most of the time, the AIs do that which is why they always have high espionage points.

The devs probably understood that doing so would be extremely overpowered. Imagine what would happen if you could run your economy with a high research slider and everything AND have your cities pumping out large amounts of spy points at the same time.

How to make a move without giving orders, having active units? The camera constantly moves to the unit and forces me to command it. I don't want to, I just want to squeeze the damn turn
I know about the "wait" or "guard" stub. But I want to do without even that

Too bad. And Space and CTRL + ENTER, don't work. The game forces you to give an order to all units before ending your turn.

You should be able to just press the green button to force-end your turn, IIRC. Pretty sure there's a keyboard shortcut for it too but I can't remember what it is off-hand.

In one of the global turn-based strategy games, Warhammer 2 Total War, the default setting is that all armies that are inactive must be given at least some orders. But this can be separately disabled in the settings. I wish it were the same here.

Ctrl+A will also force all units with queued actions to complete them no matter which other unit you are currently messing with, which will allow you to end the turn without being bugged by units asking for orders except the first one. Then you can just hit end turn.

Incidentally, you can avoid giving cities new build orders sometimes by forcing the turn to end before giving all outstanding units an order.

Hi, new member on the forums here. Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll try asking here.

I was playing Civ 4 Beyond the Sword and I love the Europe map and would like to start a scenario with this map, choosing European civilizations in their realistic starting locations. Is there a way to do this without using the world builder?

Hi, new member on the forums here. Didn't want to start a new thread, so I'll try asking here.

I was playing Civ 4 Beyond the Sword and I love the Europe map and would like to start a scenario with this map, choosing European civilizations in their realistic starting locations. Is there a way to do this without using the world builder?
Welcome to CFC :beer:[party]:dance::band:[party]

There are multiple pre-made Europe maps in the Pre-made maps forum. I cannot recommend any myself, but you may well find one that suits you there.

Welcome to CFC :beer:[party]:dance::band:[party]

There are multiple pre-made Europe maps in the Pre-made maps forum. I cannot recommend any myself, but you may well find one that suits you there.
Thank you. By the way, I’ve tried starting a scenario with the Europe map and then open the world builder, delete every civilization and place them in their realistic location. What bothers is me that if a settler is located next to a river, the river is deleted as well. Is there an easier way?

Thank you. By the way, I’ve tried starting a scenario with the Europe map and then open the world builder, delete every civilization and place them in their realistic location. What bothers is me that if a settler is located next to a river, the river is deleted as well. Is there an easier way?
Not that I am aware of, but I have not done any modding.

What bothers is me that if a settler is located next to a river, the river is deleted as well.
Can you explain more about this? This has never happened to me, and my primary way of playing the game is doing exactly what you are describing here - are you sure that the only thing you do is go into the World Builder (in-game), select the unit menu, and right click on the Settler? You don't go into the terrain menu, you do not select a river there (because that is how one deletes rivers)?

Can you explain more about this? This has never happened to me, and my primary way of playing the game is doing exactly what you are describing here - are you sure that the only thing you do is go into the World Builder (in-game), select the unit menu, and right click on the Settler? You don't go into the terrain menu, you do not select a river there (because that is how one deletes rivers)?
When I delete stuff in the world builder I select the "Delete" Icon, then with a click everything on the tile is deleted, including units and rivers.

Top Bottom