1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Quick Answers / 'Newbie' Questions

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by Turner, Apr 23, 2009.

1. CKS

CKS Chieftain

That is true, but I need my military units for attacking my real enemy, and I want my workers for later. I just run a unit through the fog each turn to kill any that pop up (since everything is railed this costs me nothing by time and annoyance). Every so often I forget or miss something, though.

2. darski

darski Regent in Training

I have found that even the Ai will not generally attack the Greeks early in a game. The hoplite is a great defender just in the minds of your enemies. I like the Greeks and used to play them often. I don't like playing Korea because I just plain don't have any luck with them. I am mostly known for the fact that the RNG gods hate me. :lol:

At one time I was playing through the Civs in alphabetical order on Regent w/ small maps so I had to play Korea until I won. It took several attempts, (only Portugal was worse).

3. WeirdoJoker

WeirdoJoker Chieftain

Decided to go Aztecs vs. Carthage, England & France for a Dom/Conq. So far I've gotten lots of wheat, ivory and gold outcroppings. If I end up being resource-rich on my own, that will be very helpful.

4. Takhisis

Takhisis Zort!

That's because the AI has perfect information so at that stage it will simply be scared off by your mighty 3 defence points, which become monstruous when fortified on a city with walls on a hill. If you have a city on an isthmus with, say, 2 hoplites, two archers and a Horseman (or Ancient Cavalry, which is more or less cheating) the AI can only win by hurling a gigantic SOD which, at such an early stage in the game, it will very rarely be able to afford.

5. Lanzelot

Lanzelot Moderator Moderator

Ah, now I know the reason... (I was already wondering, why you did't go for 20K this time... ;) )

6. CKS

CKS Chieftain

You shouldn't have to wonder. I always explain my reasoning in the spoiler thread. :)

This next one looks nice for 20k, but demigod is above the level where I can win as I like, so we'll see how it goes.

7. tjs282

tjs282 Unabashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    Sorry I didn't answer this earlier. v1.22 is still the most 'recent' official patch for Conquests/Complete, and the only thing GOG/Steam have added to the installation are the wrappers which allow MP, and log your hours played, etc.
    I didn't say that Hoplites were good for starting a well-timed GA, just that it was easier to get a GA from a Hoplite successfully fighting off an attack, than from a Hwach'a successfully bombarding an enemy unit to death (which is really only possible if you've built an 8-10 unit tall stack of them, or lucky circumstances have left you a single red-lined enemy unit directly adjacent to an unfired Hwach'a).

8. darski

does anyone know why the C&C forum seems to have dead links. every link takes you to CivFan Home page.

9. Takhisis

Takhisis Zort!

Because we've been morphed into Xenforo. And since Civ3 doesn't attract as much traffic as Civ 6 then there's not enough pressure to get somebody to start fixing the links because not that many people are around to report them, especially when a lot of people seem incapable of moving through the WWW without a search engine anyway, so they'll just go ahead and search-engine their way through.

darski likes this.
  10. darski

TY, I thought it might be something like that. seems to me it would be easier to just delete the whole forum rather than wasted time and space

11. Takhisis

Takhisis Zort!

Delete the Civ 3 forum?

12. darski

No- just the dead part of C&C

13. Vuldacon

Vuldacon Dedicated to Excellence Supporter

14. Takhisis

Takhisis Zort!

All that work on EFZI has made Vuldacon an expert in pruning away dead ends. I support his motion.

15. Balthasar

Balthasar Wise Man

First of all, you have to remember that this forum is nearly 20 years old. We'll have paid our mortgage by then. Back in 2011, a group of us fashioned the Decade Awards, to honor the many creators and creations that had highlighted the previous decade. If you've never read the Jury Awards thread Vuldacon and I did, it's a nice little history of the forum and the site up to that point. As you'd expect, over that period of time, lots of folks have come and gone, babies were born and now tell their college friends about the way their dad modded Civ III until he keeled over. Many of the links from the early days were lost in the Great Hack of 2007. Other links are dead because the site back then couldn't accommodate any files over 10 mg, so large files (like mods, for instance) had be linked to some free file storage site, like Atomic Gamer.

But Atomic Gamer went under, and so did several others like it - I've learned one thing: information degrades, and I've learned to archive anything I think I might want to use in future projects, just in case.

Lots of images have disappeared as well, because sites like photobucket and ImageShack suddenly paywalled their sites, rendering it impossible to link back to images without paying for the privilege.

Finally, the forum has had several URL moves over it's lifetime, the last wasn't all that long ago. Again, old file links were disrupted and had to be restored.

A few years back our unofficial archivist Ozymandias used to organize occasional re-upload efforts. I'd love to see someone with extraordinary privileges organize a group-sourced effort along the same lines.

16. r16

r16 not deity

so ı have to fight a lot and it's definitinely effective to let the AI expend itself in attacking a town ı just captured and garrisoned with like 200 units , with extensive artillery to weaken them and the lot . So what's the best way ? Keeping town below 6 , so that ı can have a 50% of walls or above where ı don't get that ? The favourite scenario offers two great wonders that add a defensive bonus , which is explained as "the next level" . Does that mean my city could remain under 6 but could have the additional defence of a metropolis if both wonders are done ?

17. Vuldacon

r16... Defense is Defense, no matter how it is gained... a matter of seeing what the Defenses are and what they do for you. Wonders or Walls do not really make the difference because it is the Defense Settings that provide you with more Defense.
    So to try and answer your question... Depending on the Defense settings from the Great Wonders, Yes, it could mean your City Defense could be as strong as a Metropolis at size 6. Of course there are also other factors that strengthen the Defense of your Cities such as Large population... all depending on the settings used.
    Check the Biq and see what the Defense settings are for population, Wonders, etc... then add them together :)

18. justanick

justanick Chieftain

You might even skip the artillery as the advantage of it will be low if the total defence bonus is high. But if you do have artillery anyway, then you might as well use it of course.

City size gives you +50% on defence. A wall makes you get that bonus below city size. This makes walls quite useless, unless you cannot reach city size in time.

Which great wonders offer a defence bonus?

A metropolis gives +100% on defence. Civil defence gives +50%. So a metropolis(+100%) with civil defence(+50%) on hills(+50%) over river(+25%) and your units fortified(+25%) enjoys a defence bonus of 250%.

Does population actually increase the defence bonus? Is a metropolis with size 40 easier to defend than at size 20? That is assuming that no population is lost due to bombardement or similar.

Same question with Wonders. Do they increase the defence bonus of a city? So far i assumed that the answer to both questions is simply no. Population and Wonders(apart from the free walls by the great wall where applicable) donnot matter for defence bonus.

19. tjs282

tjs282 Unabashed immigrant

...just here for the job/ handouts/ woman
    The 'favourite scenario' r16 refers to is possibly(?) "Lord Of The Mods"

I finally got round to playing that one for the first time, a couple of weeks ago. I screwed up the game-settings by accidentally activating Mass Regicide and Elimination (so it was a pretty short game!), but I poked around in the 'Pedia long enough to discover that there are several (tribe/Culture-specific) GWonders included in it that give the owning town a D-bonus.

And of course, if any GWonder adds a 'defensive' improvement to every town, that's also kind of a D-bonus... ;)
    IIRC, in the 'General settings' tab of the .biq rules, there is a section marked something like 'Defensive values' which you can set for each population-point (and also building) in a town. In the conquests.biq, the pop-point value = 16.

What's not clear from the Editor Help(less), though, is whether that value is a (cumulative?) percentage that's applied to the defending units (i.e. 6 pop-points = 6 * 0.16 ≈ 100%), or whether it's a citizen's (or building's) 'pseudo-D-value' (e.g. against bombardment), or whether it's something else entirely.

If you have any information which might clarify this, I would be interested to see it.

20. Vuldacon

justanick... You must look in the Biq to see what Defense Bonuses have been set for Population, Wonders or Improvements. This is according to what the MOD Maker set and not the same as the Original Civ Game.