Quick Modding Questions Thread

Hey guys I have this xml error, I am pretty certain I have typoed somewhere, but I am having real trouble finding it, I have run searches and checked a bunch of files, but can't find trhe issue. So anyone have any inspiration?

Tag: b ADER_BARBARIAN in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is xml\GameInfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

Post the file maybe ? Because ADER_BARBARIAN seems not to be in my XML, so probably some mod thing - hard to say without seeing

That is odd... So you can't find the crippled tag in your XML as well ?

Here are all instances of Leader_Barbarian i found in the original files - maybe check those places ? If you accidentally damaged one of them, it might not show up in your searches...

Code:
Search "LEADER_BARBARIAN" (8 hits in 4 files)
  F:\Games\Civ IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Art\CIV4ArtDefines_Leaderhead.xml (1 hits)
	Line 10: 			<Type>ART_DEF_LEADER_BARBARIAN</Type>
  F:\Games\Civ IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4CivilizationInfos.xml (2 hits)
	Line 3946: 					<LeaderName>LEADER_BARBARIAN</LeaderName>
	Line 4661: 					<LeaderName>LEADER_BARBARIAN</LeaderName>
  F:\Games\Civ IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\Civilizations\CIV4LeaderHeadInfos.xml (4 hits)
	Line 10: 			<Type>LEADER_BARBARIAN</Type>
	Line 11: 			<Description>TXT_KEY_LEADER_BARBARIAN</Description>
	Line 12: 			<Civilopedia>TXT_KEY_LEADER_BARBARIAN_PEDIA</Civilopedia>
	Line 13: 			<ArtDefineTag>ART_DEF_LEADER_BARBARIAN</ArtDefineTag>
  F:\Games\Civ IV\Beyond the Sword\Assets\XML\GlobalDefines.xml (1 hits)
	Line 114: 		<DefineTextVal>LEADER_BARBARIAN</DefineTextVal>

Tag: b ADER_BARBARIAN in Info class was incorrect Current XML file is xml\GameInfo/CIV4ForceControlInfos.xml

EDIT: Oops. This part is probably wrong (it is, I think, theCIV4EspionageMissionInfo.xml that is last):
That is the last XML file that is processes, so it keeps getting reported long after it is relevant in any error message that happens to mention the XML file that was last processed when the error happened. Note that there is apss throught he data that happens after all the XML has been loaded to resolve cross-file links where file A references something in file B but file B is loaded after A.

Search all the XML files in the mod for the exact text it mentions, "b ADER_BARBARIAN". If that finds nothing, search for just "ADER_BARBARIAN". (What appears to be a space might be a tab, or perhaps something else.)

yeah I tried doing a search for it through the xml, but it only came up with LEADER ones, there is a ¦ but it is a solid vertical line between the b and the ADER part of the error. I haven't yet found a keystroke that shows it exactly...

Do you mean a | ?

Can someone explain me important "Terrain, Others Schema.xml" files? What does this file do? Did is this important?

The schema files are only important if you
a) make modular mods
b) edit the DLL.

The schema files define in which order and how exactly the tags in the XML files are sorted.
Editing them without editing the DLL will either lead to errors or will just not work. So don't bother, unless you make SDK changes.

Does someone know where are located:
Fractal maps, Balanced Maps, Pangea etc.. Where is files for this?

For C2C, where are located:
C2C_Fractal, C2C_Balanced, C2C_Planet_Generator... etc..

I am copied all C2C terrain in my test mod, i can set all terrain and features with worldbuilder, but me is need mapscirpts for this, where i can found that?

@Refar mentioned "CvMapGeneratorUtil.py" "RandomScriptMap.py".

does anyone know a good py editing tool?

Does someone know where are located:
Fractal maps, Balanced Maps, Pangea etc.. Where is files for this?

For C2C, where are located:
C2C_Fractal, C2C_Balanced, C2C_Planet_Generator... etc..

I am copied all C2C terrain in my test mod, i can set all terrain and features with worldbuilder, but me is need mapscirpts for this, where i can found that?

@Refar mentioned "CvMapGeneratorUtil.py" "RandomScriptMap.py".

Map scripts should normally always be in either [Modname]\PublicMaps or [Modname]\PrivateMaps

does anyone know a good py editing tool?

Good = easy -> no. There are no real Python tools which make editing stuff easier with more comfort functions. At least I haven't tried any which convinced me.
The normal Python editor (which comes with Python, if you download it) is in most cases enough for me (and AFAIK for many other people too).

o_O :dunno:
No dice with a search for ADER_BARBARIAN, even within the Python files?

Do you do anything modular in your mod? Because...I'm not sure...but I think if there's something going wrong with the organization of the modules (e.g. wrong schema files)..or so...then you also sometimes get an error related to the ForceControlInfos.xml.

You don't have to, at least not for modding civ4 python files. If you need it for something else, there might be a link in the readme (some Blender plugins for example). Otherwise try looking at python.org

@Lib.Spi't have you tired to run a search for just the | thingy ? Usually not a good idea to search for a single character, but there should not be many of these in the XML

Edit: oh, and if you click "ok" at the first error message, is there any follow-up ? If the game actually starts despite the message, you might want to look trough the pedia, or start up a game and browse though the world editor - might be you see what else is screwed.

Not sure on my keyboard it's the "| and \" key between +/= and backspace (using US keyboard layout);
I think you could just copy&paste from the thread here tho.

Also - i think i cross posted\edited it in the post above, hence the repeat:
oh, and if you click "ok" at the first error message, is there any follow-up ? If the game actually starts despite the message, you might want to look trough the pedia, or start up a game and browse though the world editor - might be you see what else is screwed.

HAHA, ok now I am properly confused! The Symbol in the error message just went and changed!!!

,¬ it'd now something a bit like that but not!! HAHA this is hilarious I have no idea what is going on!!

hmmm now the b has changed to an f in the message. It must have something to do with the SDK changes for archids slavery mod, because at the moment that is the only thing I am changing to try and trouble shoot an issue I have with merging it into the game...hmmm so very strange!!

Top Bottom